AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn nav now in App Store

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Unfortunately, it's like Gokivo and requires a $9.99/month charge that will appear on your AT&T bill. You can find it here.

I really hope TomTom and Navigon don't make their turn-by-turn apps like this and just charge a flat fee instead, even if it's $100. I don't want a subscription and I won't mind paying for a map upgrade as long as I get to do it when and if I want to.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
<sarcasm>Gee it's quite shocking to me that Apple let AT&T be the first in the US to have turn by turn in the app store.</sarcasm> Who wants to be they do something like make TomTom and Navigon only work over Wifi or something stupid like that :)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It does include regular map updates and live traffic though. I'd be willing to bet that in order to get those on TomTom or Navigon you'll pay some kind of subscription fee.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
IME (and things may be different here), the one-time fee software companies usually charge a hefty fee for their yearly map updates (which are stored on the device and thus don't need Internet) while the subscription model gets maps from the Internet but it's all included in the price.

TomTom under PalmOS and WM were sold as a one time purchase with a Bluetooth GPS for $250, map updates were $99 IIRC. Celebrity voices were extra (and if they have the Ozzy voice, that alone is worth going TomTom - it is hilarious!).

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'm confused about the various turn-by-turn apps that are starting to show up, particularly the ones that charge a monthly fee. Apart from keeping up with where you are and announcing the next turn as you navigate a course, what else sets them apart from the current direction list that the Maps app produces and what is the justification for a monthly fee?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, I agree with that. When I saw constant updates and traffic the monthly subscription suddenly because something more I could stomach. However I was hoping more for like $5/month not $10/month. But I'm thinking about giving it a whirl for a month to see how I like it.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm confused about the various turn-by-turn apps that are starting to show up, particularly the ones that charge a monthly fee. Apart from keeping up with where you are and announcing the next turn as you navigate a course, what else sets them apart from the current direction list that the Maps app produces and what is the justification for a monthly fee?
Keeping up with where you are and announcing the next turn is pretty much what sets them apart. Live traffic reports are probably going to be better on monthly subscription ones that offer it but it's hard to say. The traffic in google maps from what I've seen is usually based on average traffic flows and doesn't report real time events (which is seems like the AT&T nagivator does). For someone who travels in a city or long distances this can be a huge help in getting someone in a decent time frame (495 and 66 near DC can be a PITA).

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Tomtom products have traditionally been not over the air. You download maps and use them independent of the network. I am hoping that is going to be the case. I would expect a retail of 125-150 bucks for the maps and software. You would then purchase new maps as they become available.

I don't like turn by turn done OTA. If you don't have a good signal it can become a problem. When the maps are on your device you don't have to worry about that.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Ok, that helps to clear things up. I would probably get one of those apps if it were maybe a one-time cost of a normal app, like $9.99 but I can't see paying a monthly fee for traffic updates. I usually carry a Garmin 60CSx with me when I'm on vacation or going somewhere I've never been so any GPS app on the phone, apart from Maps is not a must-have.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I just took the plunge and downloading the app to give it a whirl for a month. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be making my normal travel from MD to VA through all the fun roads in DC and VA so I'm going to really give it a run for it's money and how traffic on it really works. I also run through a deadspot on the trip so I'll see how it works going through the dead spot. I'll report back and let everyone know how it worked for me.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
It does include regular map updates and live traffic though. I'd be willing to bet that in order to get those on TomTom or Navigon you'll pay some kind of subscription fee.
I have had the ATT Navigator on my BB and I have to tell you the real time traffic updates only worked if you checked manually. You had to do check traffic along route. It never worked any other way for me. But I did like the feature.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
ZERO chance I am giving AT&T $9.99 a month...or anyone for that matter...for a turn-by-turn app. As I've stated previously, after a year it makes sense to just buy the GPS unit.

Diablo25

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
PA
I'll be waiting for Tom Tom's release. I am not a fan of the $9.99 subscription at all. Hopefully Tom Tom is a one time fee.

lido

Oct 23, 2007
i bought a month subscription as well, and then found yellowpages, which has free turn by turn. oh well. and be careful about gokivo-i'm not trashing them-that would be premature.....i have been charged for the 9.99 but when i tap "GO" for directions it still takes me to the monthly charge page. may need their cs....

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
ZERO chance I am giving AT&T $9.99 a month...or anyone for that matter...for a turn-by-turn app. As I've stated previously, after a year it makes sense to just buy the GPS unit.
I'll be waiting for Tom Tom's release. I am not a fan of the $9.99 subscription at all. Hopefully Tom Tom is a one time fee.
Everyone has to remember that these GPS companies have people constantly running around the nation updating the maps as new businessses open/close, new highways are built, exit numbers change, street names change, etc. They have to pay these people for their work. They typically offer two ways for them to be compensated:

1. Charge each customer a monthly fee which will in turn keep the maps up to date.
2. Offer a large yearly upgrade fee to each customer, which will update the maps for them.

TomTom will either take option 1 or 2. It sounds like everyone wants option 2, which has it's pluses and minuses. It's nice that it's an option as to whether you want to update your maps or not, but having to wait a whole year for an upgrade each time could be dangerous. What if a highway closes and you're led to a dead end and have to backtrack for hours on your trip? What if an exit number has changed in the past year and you take the wrong one?

Paying monthly fees guarantees this will never happen to you. I personally want the monthly fees.

lido

Oct 23, 2007
I'm sorry, but when I went to the app to check on that, I realized when I selected my search result it would take me to the google maps app which apparently has turn by turn. I don't think I paid attention, so I'm sorry for the misrepresentation.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
The point is that there is no reason to pay a subscription for something that you can make a one-time payment on. Like I can bu ya Tom Tom somewhere for $140, which is only 14 months of service...but I could use it for let's say 4 years. So it makes no sense to pay the $9.99 per month...

And $9.99 is a lot. If they can get 1M people paying that per month without having to buy the hardware, that is basically pure profit because those same people are doing the work for them anyway. So then that is $10M per month and $120M per year.

My point? They priced me out at that price point.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The point is that there is no reason to pay a subscription for something that you can make a one-time payment on. Like I can bu ya Tom Tom somewhere for $140, which is only 14 months of service...but I could use it for let's say 4 years. So it makes no sense to pay the $9.99 per month...

And $9.99 is a lot. If they can get 1M people paying that per month without having to buy the hardware, that is basically pure profit because those same people are doing the work for them anyway. So then that is $10M per month and $120M per year.

My point? They priced me out at that price point.
Right, it IS nice to have the option as to whether you want to upgrade or not. But 4 years? I promise you will start to get confused in your directions. Believe me, I have a Garmin and one year I decided to save the money and not update the maps. I definitely got routed to some strange non-existing locations a few times and it was frustrating. A map update would have fixed that. If you are planning on updating every four years, then you might as well not even use the GPS software as it will just throw you off have the time.