AT&T Next for iPhone 6 will unlock iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by FFAP1234, Sep 10, 2014.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm not eligible for a full or partial discount with AT&T but Next. Does anybody know if I went for the Next option AT&T will unlock my iPhone 5S?, that way could sell it for a little more money. Thank you you all : )

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

If you choose to upgrade a line with NEXT, that should allow you to unlock the previous device through AT&T.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It should. I bought my 5s last October, but AT&T insists that my two-year contract is up next month. I even called them yesterday to check on this and they told me that according to all the records they have, my contract started in 2012. I know I paid the partial upgrade price for my 5s. Odd.

4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

U are lucky! I have 3 lines and asked if I could get the upgrade in at least one of then and was told NO!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, they will. Put the request in the same day you purchase the iPhone 6. Processing can take a couple days.

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Wow that is great news! Thank u : )

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

my GF and I just switched to a Next plan today. Turns out it will be much cheaper in the long run because both of our mobile calling plans are reduced by $25/month AND free unlimited texting, saving us $600 a year for voice and ~$400/year for texting (on a normal plan we'd be paying $20/month for unlimited texting). The shared data plan we chose is a little more expensive ($100/month vs 2x $30/month), but we also get more data and included wifi hotspots. in the end, we're saving $50/month on our bill, so that more than makes up for the lost subsidies (which we were not even elligible for anyway). If we were elligible for full subsidies, Next would pay for itself after 16 months. With partial subsidies, it would pay for itself after ~8 months.

I think we're both planning on keeping our iphone 6's for two years anyway, so by then we will have made all the payments and can resell them. If you're the kind of person that would rather own your phone from the beginning, you can always buy it outright, which is the same cost, just up front instead of distributed over 20 or 24 months. But in my view, you might as well keep your money and do the monthly payments. Put that ~$600 into Apple stock or something instead of handing it over to ATT.

More of you guys should really consider this. I was skeptical myself, but it was a no-brainer for our situation.

#7 acosmichippo, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

ah, good to know they're getting more reasonable with pricing. Still, we're pretty happy with the Next system anyway.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In case anyone was wondering, I verified that the Next hardware installments are not discounted with FAN discounts. They are treated just like taxes and fees. The 24% is taken off before monthly Next installments are added in.
    It's a good deal. I plan on using it next year.

10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

NextPricing.jpg

I made this so I could see all the info up front. Hope this helps. The monthly cost might be off by a penny because of rounding. The Apple Store app is showing the 6 plus 128gb as $39.55 for the Next 18. And the tax is for my little sliver of the world.

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

For my surprise it sounds that AT&T Next is a better deal than signing up a new contract. If I were eligible today to upgrade my phone I would get the discount on it but would loose the sharing plan price I have now and pay an extra $75 more a month for the 3 lines I have according to AT&T. I posted the original thread because my experience with AT&T have been different answers from different customer service. I finally called yesterday and also was told once I paid off the new iPhone they will unlock that too. That is a big deal for me because when I go to South America I have to take two iPhones, the iPhone 5S that I use in USA (that they won't unlock for me because I'm under a contract ) and an unlock iPhone 4S which is a pain specially because I have to remember to take two different type of cables. So I could sell the two iPhones I have now and pay off the new iPhone within a month and have it unlock. They only require to pay tax at front and that is all, am I missing something?, do I need to call another time to see if I get the same answer? this sounds too good to be true.

12. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Since your all knowledgeable... I have verizon, I'm on the unlimited plan still... Will it be cheaper for me to go to one of there new share all plans? I really don't want to pay monthly for the 6plus.. I'm out of contract and don't want to pay full price again..
    I'm on the 700 min plan with my mom, for 50.00, plus 29.99 for unlimited, $10.00 for 500 texts... I asked verizon what would be good, they just keep telling me to get rid of unlimited data cause I'm not even hitting 1 gb a month.. I'm confused!! .. Please give me direction... Thank you..

Sent using iCafe app

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 4 lines on the Verizon More Everything Plan. They told me if I switched to their EDGE plan, it would cost me about $67 more per month. I currently pay $247 for 4 lines. With EDGE, I'd pay about $314. I'm sticking with the More Everything Plan. I have a feeling that some who switch to NEXT or EDGE will have regrets down the road. The only way I would do it, is if I could not afford to do it any other way. For me, it's like Rent To Own.

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

there really is no downside unless you're eligible for a full upgrade or don't use 10GB of data on your account. you own the phone, you have just agreed to pay for it in installment plans. if you prefer, you can pay the full amount at any time. the upside is that it reduces the cost of your phone line by $15-$25 per month since you are not using a subsidy.

15. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Since I have placed my order with Apple, I am going to see if AT&T will unlock my 5s. May get a little more for it on CL.

16. jaysukh patel

jaysukh patel New Member

you can unlock your New iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus on these ways,

recently i got just past night.

Thanks,

17. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

AT&T won't unlock my 5S before the 14 days I bought the iPhone 6 pass by. Just waiting patiently : )

18. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

How much do u think u will get? Yesterday I sold my iPhone 4S 16GB for $200. What can I get for my 5S 64GB? I'm hoping no less than $550 in craigslist.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's pretty steep. Probably no more than $450.

20. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Really? I have a friend who told me he is selling his 32GB for $500. I have to check on him to find out. I will let you know when I sell it, I hope I can proof you wrong. I was counting on paying off my iPhone 6 by selling my 4S and 5S, was I dreaming: ( ??