AT&T NumberSync on iOS 9.2: Does it work with OS X devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure if AT&T NumberSync is supposed to work in conjuction with a device running OS X El Capitan (such as an iMac), but iOS 9.2 sure makes one think that it is: my iMac is listed on the screen in question (update: it is supposed to work; see link and screenshot below). However, it isn't working for me when my iPhone is not nearby.

In my screenshots below, note the new wording on iOS 9.2 ("Allow other devices signed into your iCloud to make and receive calls using your carrier account even when your iPhone is not nearby.") vs. the old (pre-iOS 9.2) wording ("Use your iPhone cellular connection to make and receive calls on devices signed into your iCloud account when they are nearby and on Wi-Fi.").

I have included a screenshot bearing the alert that appears immediately after the "Calls on Other Devices" feature is toggled on. Note that I have already been directed to the AT&T website (upon first activation of this feature) where I agreed to the disclaimer vis-à-vis 911 phone calls, TTY devices, and what-not.

I attempted test phone calls on my iMac while simulating the iPhone "not being nearby" condition (by putting the iPhone on Airplane Mode and also by turning the iPhone off), and they failed each and every time. As soon as I take the iPhone off Airplane Mode or turn the iPhone back on, the iMac is able to place the test phone call successfully.

Wi-Fi Calling now available for other devices....jpg

Has anyone been able to get AT&T NumberSync to work with an OS X El Capitan device while the iPhone is "not nearby" or off?

And incidentally, has anyone been able to get it to work on an iPod Touch or iPad running iOS 9.2 while the iPhone is "not nearby" or off?

Update: Whoops! I just learned that a new version—10.11.2—of OS X El Capitan has been released. Let me try again after I update to it, and I will update this post if it works afterwards.

Update 2: I just updated my iMac to OS X 10.11.2 and this feature still does not work when the iPhone is off. It is supposed to work (even with the iPhone off) on OS X El Capitan devices, per an Apple support document, which I've included (with my annotations) below:

should work.jpg

#1 Rafagon, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Update:

I kept thinking about this, and I realized there was one set of conditions I hadn't tried yesterday (see above post): What if the iPhone is nearby, is on, has a cellular connection, but Wi-Fi on the phone is turned off?

I tried it now, and I got this message on OS X which I did not get with the previous set of conditions (iPhone turned off or iPhone on Airplane Mode) I tested:

Must be on same Wi-Fi Network.jpg

This is in direct opposition to what Apple's support website says (see screenshot in prior post). The support website says the iPhone could be "far away or even off." Yet, OS X El Capitan tells me that the phone "must be on the same Wi-Fi network" (which, by definition, means the phone must be nearby and turned on). The support document I'm citing is dated yesterday. The version of OS X El Capitan I'm using is also dated yesterday.

On another forum, at least one user reports that it is working properly on one of his or her computers, but not on a different machine.

So much for "It just works." :confused:

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you know someone with an iPad that would let you borrow it to test this? I see the usefulness of this feature if you forget your phone when you leave the house but have your iPad or smartwatch with you, or if you have two or more smartphones. Why would you need this on your iMac? The only situation I can think of is if your phone's battery dies. Is that why you want it?

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't know anyone nearby with an iPad.

If my battery dies and I must urgently place a call, I use my mom's phone. There's no specific reason why I want it, honestly. To put it simply, I want it because it's there. Once I get it working, it isn't something I'm going to use every day—probably not even once a week!

The documentation says it was implemented and should be working as of yesterday. Heck, the iOS screen itself shows that my iMac is enabled for Wi-Fi calling with the phone off or not nearby.

It isn't working, and I'm frustrated. :D

I guess it's similar to when you couldn't get Wi-Fi Calling to work once it was made available about two months ago. You didn't give up until it worked. :)

Whether you're using it now on a daily basis or not, I don't know, but your perseverance paid off.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I got my answer as to why it isn't working:

My iMac is not Late 2012 or later.

AT&T has all the specific requirements posted (Thanks @Peabody @Macrumors).

Maybe Apple will, soon, too. :D

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not really. That was a feature I had been looking forward to for a couple of years and checking on the availability all the time as AT&T got closer to rolling it out. I actually even kinda screamed in Kevin's ear on the phone when I was finally able to toggle it on on my phone and agree to the terms. But then, unlike most people, it didn't work for me and it took me about a month to get it fixed. I use it every day. It's a feature I really wanted, not just something I wanted to get working because it's there.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator