AT&T offering lower-priced single-line plans for those not on Family Plans

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Starting tomorrow, March 9th, 2014, AT&T will offer reduced prices for those who aren't on a Family Plan.

The details can be found here:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans2.html

I think I will be jumping on that bandwagon, as I currently pay $72.50/month for my line with a 200MB data plan and that includes $20/month for unlimited messaging. It looks like I may save $7/month, but I'll be getting 2GB data/month instead of the measily 200MB I'm getting now.

It also appears I'll get unlimited international messaging, something I certainly don't have now that I could really use.

UPDATE: AT&T changed the layout of the page. Now, you have to click on the Individual Pricing tab after you go to the URL I posted above:

Individual.jpg

Last edited:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm still on so-called grandfathered "unlimited plan" and am not sure I want to surrender that ...

... always be knolling ...

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
attlocker.jpg

Warning: That might seem like a nice perk—50GB of free cloud storage with AT&T Locker—but it's slow as molasses a piece of pitch.

I have a whopping three photos in my AT&T Locker, and when I clicked on the thumbnail of one of them to go to a full-size view of the photo, it took almost 20 seconds to load...

Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 4.22.16 PM.png

I went back out to the "main screen," clicked on the thumbnail of the same picture, and, you'd think it stayed in the cache or something, but no... it took ~20 seconds to load... again.

I don't even want to guess how long it would take to play a small, 10-second movie shot on an iPhone, from that AT&T Locker contraption.

And yeah, that was on the Chrome browser. The AT&T Locker site refused to work on Safari.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think I'll pass. Having to pay full price for a new phone then having to turn it in to AT&T when I'm ready to buy another one is bogus. I'm not giving AT&T my old phone that I just finished paying full price for. Whoa.

Ya gotta love American carriers.

I'm referring to AT&T's newly-announced Mobile Share Value plans.

Nrevezzo

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Canton, Mi
This doesn't sound like a deal to me. I would look for a less expensive plan from another carrier. Something around $40/month. Of course I'm on a family plan with 4 other family members right now and the future when I'm not is 5-10 years away. Maybe it would be better to get 3 other friends/family members and get the $160/mo plan. I don't think they check if you're truly family.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I think I'll pass. Having to pay full price for a new phone then having to turn it in to AT&T when I'm ready to buy another one is bogus. I'm not giving AT&T my old phone that I just finished paying full price for. Whoa.

Ya gotta love American carriers.

I'm referring to AT&T's newly-announced Mobile Share Value plans.
I compared the device pricing options in the other AT&T rate thread. If you pay off the phone, you don't turn it in to them. If you upgrade early before it is paid off, you trade it in for the next phone.

Also, that article you linked is from July. Before the rate adjustments for the family share plans. On Next, the cost for a smartphone added to a plan is $15. Or $25 if you get a lower data plan. This is vs the $40 if you add a subsidized phone to the plan.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my . . . That I was sure I understood the program:

You are now chatting with Andre, an AT&T sales representative.

Andre: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I help you with placing your order today?

Rick: I want to verify something with the NEXT program option. If I select a phone using NEXT and then pay it off after the 18 or 26 months, then the phone is mine to keep or do with as I want, correct?

Andre: Hello there Rick, I will be more than happy to assist you with AT&T Next!

Andre: Yes, that is all correct!

Rick: Then, after I pay it off, I can get a new NEXT plan on a new phone? I don't have to turn in the one I paid in full? I only have to trade the phone in if I upgrade at the 12 months, before it is paid off? Is all that correct?

Andre: Yes, everything is right. You've got the correct idea on how the AT&T Next program works!​

I guess the key is patience. How many can really hold out when a new iPhone is released. My wife could, but I probably could not.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Ok, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on switching to one of these family value plans. While I used to use as much Dara as possible just to spite ATT, and swore to make them pry my unlimited plan from my dead cold hands, I think it's time.

If I can save about $50 per month, which I can invest half of on my home internet plan and have enough home bandwidth per month to cover additional home wifi usage, it may be time to make the switch. And work has an open wifi network that I can stream off of during the day.

I also thought when I first read about this plan that they were pretty much automatically switching you to their Next plan forcing you to surrender your phone when you upgrade. However, I did a little research and found out I keep em if I do as the previous poster stated above.

Anyone else switched to these shared plans?

luislahud

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
AT&T Free Msg: Best ever 2GB plan. Unlimited talk, text & 2GB shared data $65/mo. Other chrgs & restr's apply. Visit att.com/MSV Send stop to end mktg msgs.

I got this text from AT&T yesterday and I don't know what to decide about it.I have unlimited data plan with 450 minutes a month no text messages plan I use an app for texting most of the time when I'm at home I use an app to make phone calls so I won't go over my 450 minutes a month.
Any suggestions to all those that still have unlimited data plans.

luislahud

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
By the way I forgot to say that my monthly bill is about $ 63.00 with 20% off that I get through Kroger the company that I work for.
Thanks.