AT&T offering "new" $2.99/month/100 text plan?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I recently called AT&T and asked them to put a block on my already-cancelled text feature. I specifically mentioned that I didn't need $20/unlimited texting, and that since the $5, $10, and $15/month plans were all gone, I preferred no texting.

Curiously, the rep agreed with me, and said she felt the same for her own usage. Then, she discovered, right then and there, that AT&T was offering a $2.99/month/100 text plan. She seemed dumbfounded and stated that they usually "told us" about these new features. Even as we spoke, I Googled her newly discovered plan and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if this is in fact a new text plan, or something that AT&T reps are trained to offer customers who ask for a block on texting? Incidentally, this block on texting, for both incoming and outgoing texts, only seems to be available with the help of a rep on the phone. You cannot get it on your own via the website or via the AT&T app on the iPhone.

I'm curious as to what other features may be available via a rep's assistance only. :)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It could be a 'hidden' option. I went to cancel my Sirius/XM radio, as they wanted over $160 for a year! Guy told me they could give me a year at $86 or so. So they got me for another year.
Could be AT&T is hoping once you get the 100 txt plan that you will go over the 100 and tack extra charges on?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Could be AT&T is hoping once you get the 100 txt plan that you will go over the 100 and tack extra charges on?
That sounds totally plausible! Congrats on your Sirius/XM pricing. Great example of just how much these companies are ripping us off. They'd rather keep us as a customer and make less money off of us than lose our businesss altogether.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It could be a 'hidden' option. I went to cancel my Sirius/XM radio, as they wanted over $160 for a year! Guy told me they could give me a year at $86 or so. So they got me for another year.
canceled my Sirius radio yesterday because Audi gave me 3 free months and they told me the same thing, half price for a year. I cancelled anyway.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
They also occasionally make some plans available for the cs reps to add or for a retentions department rep to add for customers who call in to cancel or complain. They don't make these plans public, but they're there.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
My wife has gotten that deal from Sirius the past two years...:cool: