AT&T Offering Samsung Galaxy S4 Recertified for $179 Off-Contract

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Well that didn't take long. I read somewhere on this board that the draw to Apple isn't necessarily the hardware, but the OS and features. I think I agree. The Nokia is a really good piece of hardware and the OS isn't terrible. I could get used to it eventually. Maybe. But the overall benefit from iOS is where I have to say that I won't be able to switch right now. iMessage for the win.

But I have a decent and really inexpensive backup phone!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well that didn't take long. I read somewhere on this board that the draw to Apple isn't necessarily the hardware, but the OS and features. I think I agree. The Nokia is a really good piece of hardware and the OS isn't terrible. I could get used to it eventually. Maybe. But the overall benefit from iOS is where I have to say that I won't be able to switch right now. iMessage for the win.

But I have a decent and really inexpensive backup phone!
I think it's a solid OS with good hardware that is well-built and well-supported by Apple.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's funny how our time on the other side of the fence seems to mirror each other. My car broke down today (long story). Anyway, the battery on my Galaxy S4 was almost dead by noon. Not sure if it was the Spigen Glas.t or the S4, but turning down the brightness to conserve battery life made it impossible to see.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
After two weeks, I'm about done with the Galaxy S4. Despite using launchers to mask Touch Wiz, you cannot escape it. They overcomplicate the interface. Previous Android phones that I either owned or tested were the Nexus 4, 5, HTC One, Moto X and Moto G. Before those, it was the Note II. I wasn't a fan of the Note II and at the time, I though it was due to the size. Having tried the GS4, the experience is so far removed from stock Android, which I do enjoy.

Samsung makes the best selling Android devices. The displays are big, vivid and awesome. User replaceable batteries and expandable memory are user-friendly options. Coupled with aggressive marketing, I see why people buy them. Having said that, Google needs to find a way to regain control of their OS. Looking at the numbers, peoples opinion of that platform is based on Samsung and HTC's interpretation.

Yesterday, I pulled the SIM card from the GS4 to a Moto G. Common tasks like pulling down the navigation window was no longer an assault on my eyes. Coupled with what I felt was a phone that was too big, I quickly realized that the GS4 is not the droid I'm looking for....

Motorola has a one-day sale on their old, but quite good and customizable Moto X. Bamboo, white and silver for the win. Convenience of nanoSIM compatibility is also a bonus.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
The GS4 is about the closest phone I've found that could replace my iPhone. While I don't care for all the bloatware, the battery performance has been nothing short of amazing. I've been on my phone all day for work and come home with 70+% charge left. I don't do much on it other than use it for a phone but as that, it stands above the crowd. My iPhone is almost dead by the time I get home from work. Don't get me wrong, I do love my iPhone but the GS4, could be an impeccable replacement.

The only main gripe I have about the GS4 is the color reproduction. Pictures I have taken with my NikonDSLR and copied to the Samsung are always off-color. Peoples faces appear sunburnt. (though these same photos are fine wherever else I view them).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris - you could root it to install an AOSP ROM?
Apparently, there isn't root access for the newer AT&T KitKat releases, this according to @psylichon. I immediately updated and realized later that it was a mistake. I've browsed XDA, but honestly, that site can be a bit confusing. Tons of great info, but all of the crazy ROM names are well.. crazy.

S4 is already up on eBay. It's not a terrible phone, not by a stretch. For me, I think the Moto X will tide me over until I get the next urge to some new Android device.