AT&T Offers New $100 Unlimited Voice/Data (Not SMS) Plan for iPhone

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
In a move designed to match Verizon's recent price drop, AT&T has announced a new $100 unlimited voice/data plan for iPhone users, though it doesn’t cover SMS which is still an extra $20 for unlimited. Here’s the relevant passage from the presser:

• All smartphone customers, including iPhone customers, may now buy unlimited voice and data for $99.99. For smartphone customers with Family Talk plans (prices assume 2 smartphones), unlimited voice and data is now available for $179.99. Texting plans remain unchanged at $20 for unlimited plans for individuals, $30 for Family Talk Plans.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Heck, I don't even use the 450 minutes/month I have now. Wish I could sell my bizillion rollover minutes back to AT&T :sneaky:

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Heck, I don't even use the 450 minutes/month I have now. Wish I could sell my bizillion rollover minutes back to AT&T :sneaky:
Preach on.

This'll go over like a lead balloon most likely, though it is a 10% drop in unlimited family plan cost. Better than nothing I guess. I've got two iPhones and a third phone on the lowest-tier family plan, plus unlimited data/texting and I pay right around $160/month now...like Apple4me I also got lotsa rollover minutes (who really uses these things to talk to people, after all? ;)).

I'd rather have them extend their A-List deal to iPhone users. Doesn't it seem like your high call-volume buddies are NEVER with ATT? Or how about a tiered customer loyalty discount (5% the 2nd year, 10% the third, up to 15 or 20% off the TOTAL bill); that'd help keep people around.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'm with you there. I'm on the lowest family plan with 2 lines (I think that is 500 minutes a months). We probably use 200 a month. Now were pushing 3000 rollover minutes, sure would love to sell that back.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The carriers aren't really fooling anyone with this tactic. Rare is the person that actually runs out of plan minutes these days. If my rollovers never expired, I'd be set for life at this point.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Wow, except for Dave I though I was in the minority here. I use the phone very little and as other have stated have enough rollover to last a long time. A $100 plan is sure no deal for me. If anything, give us a break on the Data Plan or at least allow tethering within that $30.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah but sprint is garbage.
And AT&T is that much better?

For what it is, the unlimited everything plan on Sprint is a good deal. I almost switched to Sprint to use their everything 450 plan. Unlimited data and text with 450 minutes ( I think that's the correct ammount) for 69.99, and with a discount that I would get, brought it down to around 55-60 before taxes.

But at the time, they didn't have any decent phones.

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
A Break?

If anything, give us a break on the Data Plan or at least allow tethering within that $30.
Tethering, what's tethering? I tether my horse who isn't with AT&T, but I can't tether anything else because I am with AT&T. Here's a wild idea- let's startup our own network.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Yeah but sprint is garbage.
It all depends on where you live. Where I am at Verizon and Sprint have great coverage. My entire family is on T-Mobile and have no complaints, AT&T is garbage. If it weren't for the fact that there are really no great phones at the moment I'd switch to Sprint right now. I'm still playing with the idea of just grabbing the Pre for my wife and I. It would be her first smart phone and I'm still sporting the V1 iPhone so really I'm not giving/gaining much by switching to it and then hopefully in a year or so they will have some great WiMax phones on the market.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
lol..weird! I have the 450 min plan...last month I used like 100 minutes.
You and me both. I have the same plan as you. I'm a very light cell phone user. I hope AT&T will also lower its limited phone plans to put them inline with their unlimited pricing structure.

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
Do you guys get the A-list with the 450 min plan? I thought I remembered reading you had to have at least a $50 a month min plan to get it. I have the 900 min and with the A-list I barely use any min so I was thinking of downgrading, but I`m scared I would go over without the A-list.

boogaloo

Oct 2, 2009
I believe you need to have at least the 900 minute plan in order to get the A-List. I too would govwith fewer minutes as long as a-list was included.