AT&T Plan Pricing Structure

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Apr 8, 2007
So the questions about Cingular have all been focused on various topics, but I don't think I read anything about what people thought the pricing stucture would be. Is it going to be an increase? A minimum of $100/month just to use the phone? I already pay about $60/month for a RAZR and that isn't even unlimited minutes.

Chris, what is your best estimate at how AT&T will plan this new pricing structure, while keeping in mind that visual voicemail will most likely sell for a premium due to its new technological state.

auzburner

Apr 27, 2007
NY

I've heard that At&T and Cingular are going to force iPhone buyers into a businesss plan. This will cause the monthly bill to rise quite a bit... Has anyone heard anything similar?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
At this point everything out there about the data and voice plans for the iPhone are just rumors and speculation. Neither AT&T nor Apple have made any statements regarding this.

IMO, the iPhone will use the current AT&T voice plans. I believe that there will be a new data plan for the iPhone and that it will be reasonably priced (no more than $20/month for unlimited data). If the data plan is more expensive than this, I think they risk losing too many customers. An expensive data plan would be the only thing that would prevent me from buying an iPhone the first day it is available :(.

Again this is just my opinion. Hopefully AT&T or Apple will make an announcement soon :).

Mar 25, 2007
AZ
As it stands currently, cingular offers unlimited data on smart phone plans for $19.99/month. I would ASSUME this is what will apply for the iPhone plans...

Here's something I haven't heard about.... or maybe I just missed it... do we know if the iPhone uses a SIM card? If not, do you think I'll be able to transfer my existing cingular phone number to my new iPhone? Obviously I won't hold it against you if you're wrong.... :eek:p

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
As it stands currently, cingular offers unlimited data on smart phone plans for $19.99/month. I would ASSUME this is what will apply for the iPhone plans...

Here's something I haven't heard about.... or maybe I just missed it... do we know if the iPhone uses a SIM card? If not, do you think I'll be able to transfer my existing cingular phone number to my new iPhone? Obviously I won't hold it against you if you're wrong.... :eek:p
Cingular currently has 2 unlimited plans (one for smart phones and one for PDA phones). The smart phone plan is 19.99 and I believe the PDA phone plan is 44.99. If the iPhone will use an existing plan the fee will depend on how Cingular classifies it. Since most smart phones are limited to WAP sites and the iPhone is not, I think it is likely that it will be considered a PDA phone :(.

In the keynote, Jobs pointed out a sim tray. While talking about the top of the iPhone he said "We’ve got a headset jack. 3.5 millimeter all your iPod headphones fit right in. We’ve got a place, a little tray for your SIM card, and we’ve got one switch for sleep and wake."

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I hope that I can just have my Dad add the $20 data plan to our family plan. Im still on their plan because I'm still going to college away from home currently.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
I believe that Cingular / AT&T will have very fair prices on the data plan for the iPhone. As more and more smart phones emerge, it becomes a very important and competitive category that requires carriers to be competitive.

One of the (many) phones I'm currently using is a BlackBerry, through AT&T. I have unlimited data for only $29.99 per month. That's unlimited emails, internet access, etc.

Therefore I feel quite confident that they will provide an unlimited plan for the iPhone that is fairly priced and in line with the data charges for other smart phones.

Cheers...

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
archer6,

You say you have unlimited data for $29.00 per month. That is text messages, email etc? What is your current bill plan?

Rich

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
archer6,

You say you have unlimited data for $29.00 per month. That is text messages, email etc? What is your current bill plan?
For New Unlocked BlackBerry 8300 Curve
on Cingular / AT&T:

Voice, 1400 minutes $49.99
Text , 200 msgs $ 4.99
Unlimited Internet $29.99
Unlimited email
Unlimited Pin messages
(unique to BlackBerry)
Contract Duration 1yr.
Sub total before taxes: $84.97

May 19, 2007
archer6,

Rich
Since it has wifi built in, I don't expect the data plan to be too outrageous, or then people will just only get online at hotspots and they know it.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Thanks much. I hope they have something similar for the iPhone. I can do $84. a month.
Just a few observations:
1) People love to bash the big companies
2) Everyone wants to topple the #1 (in anything)
3) Cingular / AT&T is not the evil monster many would have you believe
4) Are they perfect? ...NO
5) Do they make mistakes?...Yes
6) Do they resolve those mistakes?...given a chance...Yes
7) It's all in how they are approached, given a little courtesy and facts, as opposed to yelling and an angry approach, they provide excellent service.
8) Are they the most expensive? ...No (this is one of the biggest myths) one simply has to compare exact rate plans, data plans etc.
9) How is their service? ..... my personal experience over 7 years, I have been very happy with their service. I've also been using more than 25 different phones, both Cingular / AT&T as well as unlocked unbranded phones I have obtained from other countries.
10) They will work with you if you will work with them.

Just my 2 cents.....:)

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Just a few observations:
1) People love to bash the big companies
2) Everyone wants to topple the #1 (in anything)
3) Cingular / AT&T is not the evil monster many would have you believe
4) Are they perfect? ...NO
5) Do they make mistakes?...Yes
6) Do they resolve those mistakes?...given a chance...Yes
7) It's all in how they are approached, given a little courtesy and facts, as opposed to yelling and an angry approach, they provide excellent service.
8) Are they the most expensive? ...No (this is one of the biggest myths) one simply has to compare exact rate plans, data plans etc.
9) How is their service? ..... my personal experience over 7 years, I have been very happy with their service. I've also been using more than 25 different phones, both Cingular / AT&T as well as unlocked unbranded phones I have obtained from other countries.
10) They will work with you if you will work with them.

Just my 2 cents.....:)
Co-sign on all you said. Me or any of my family have had any problems with Att/Cingular.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
The question was, "what do I pay for my service" , the answer I posted was 100% correct. Period. I'm the one that pays the bill.

I'm 100% positive, beyond any question. What you may be doing it comparing my plan to current plans. I'm not a new customer. I have been with AT&T for years before the change to Cingular, and now years after that transaction, I'm still with them as they transition back to AT&T.

I have nothing to gain by providing inaccurate data here. In fact if you go on the Cingular / AT&T web site, you will notice that how I'm charged for text messaging and data IS indeed the same as the current rates. The only reason that occurred and changed to what I'm paying presently is the mistakes made by Cingular during one of the times I was upgrading. However fortunately they did not touch my airtime charges.

Cheers....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

thepepes

May 20, 2007
NY
Here's a new article about AT&T service plans and the iPhone:

AT&T lines up Unity cell plan for iPhone

Sounds interesting! Can any of you cell plan geeks shed some more light on this? :laugh2:

That article was a bit confusing for me. Are they saying that the AT&T "Unity" plan will be like Verizon's "In" in that any call made to someone else with the service won't count as minutes? I wonder if Cingular's rollover plan will still be in effect. My family has 4 phones and I am really the only one who uses minutes... so we end up with 100's of rollover minutes every month - it's really great.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
That article was a bit confusing for me. Are they saying that the AT&T "Unity" plan will be like Verizon's "In" in that any call made to someone else with the service won't count as minutes? I wonder if Cingular's rollover plan will still be in effect. My family has 4 phones and I am really the only one who uses minutes... so we end up with 100's of rollover minutes every month - it's really great.
Unity plans are easy to comprehend if laid out correctly, like so:

1) You must have an AT&T landline with unlimited calling for a flat fee (they will probably drop the latter qualifier for people with light landline use)
2) The plans are the same price as the Nation w/Rollover plans, the 450 min. plan is 39.99 no matter if it's unity or nation.
3) Nation plans allow you to call any Cingular/AT&T mobile customer without using your minutes. Unity lets you call any AT&T customer, landline or wireless without using your minutes.
4) Unity doesn't have rollover. That's the tradeoff. You can either call landlines for free or get rollover minutes.

thepepes

May 20, 2007
NY
Unity plans are easy to comprehend if laid out correctly, like so:

1) You must have an AT&T landline with unlimited calling for a flat fee (they will probably drop the latter qualifier for people with light landline use)
2) The plans are the same price as the Nation w/Rollover plans, the 450 min. plan is 39.99 no matter if it's unity or nation.
3) Nation plans allow you to call any Cingular/AT&T mobile customer without using your minutes. Unity lets you call any AT&T customer, landline or wireless without using your minutes.
4) Unity doesn't have rollover. That's the tradeoff. You can either call landlines for free or get rollover minutes.

Ok - So really the only difference btw Unity and the plan I have now ( i think i have nation) is the free calls to AT&T landlines? hmmm...I'm ok with my current plan for an iPhone.. right? I'm currently qualified for a phone upgrade through Cingular, and I'm holding out for the iPhone... is this smart?