AT&T Plan Pricing Structure

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
It is highly unlikely they'd make you change your voice plan. The iPhone will require a data package. There's 3 posssible plans that may be required:

A) 19.99 MEdiaMax (200txt and u/l data) or better (Smartphone is being retired/rebranded)
B) 39.99 PDA Max (1500sms and u/l data)
C) Some new plan, probably around 29.99 like the blackberry.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
It is highly unlikely they'd make you change your voice plan. The iPhone will require a data package. There's 3 posssible plans that may be required:

A) 19.99 MEdiaMax (200txt and u/l data) or better (Smartphone is being retired/rebranded)
B) 39.99 PDA Max (1500sms and u/l data)
C) Some new plan, probably around 29.99 like the blackberry.
Any idea when AT&T will announce which of these possibilities the iPhone will use?

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Not a clue. Probably after the the Apple keynote, unless there's something huge feature-wise this plan brings to the table.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Not a clue. Probably after the the Apple keynote, unless there's something huge feature-wise this plan brings to the table.
Thanks. I hope you are right in regards to the pricing. I have read posts on another forum from someone claiming to work for AT&T in Atlanta who says the unlimited data plan will be $50-$60/month. If that is true, I will have to seriously consider passing on the iPhone or at the least on a data plan :(.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Cingular/AT&T has a history of not making anyone change voice plans when they change devices, so you should be able to keep your previous plan. However, depending on how they classify the iPhone, I would guess it will either be a $19.99/month, $29.99/month or $39.99/month unlimited data plan (or perhaps the base perKb plans) and maybe some bundled SMS plans.

I am hoping that AT&T sees it as a smartphone (no keyboard!) and we can get the lesser priced data plan. The plans that wot mentions are even more expensive than their tethered PDA/aircard plans! That is unacceptable!

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Thanks. I hope you are right in regards to the pricing. I have read posts on another forum from someone claiming to work for AT&T in Atlanta who says the unlimited data plan will be $50-$60/month. If that is true, I will have to seriously consider passing on the iPhone or at the least on a data plan :(.
I've just heard from my Corp AT&T rep who is suggesting that the iPhone will be offered with a bundled plan so that data and text are together. This reduces the elements to just two, the choice of voice plan minutes and the bundled unlimited data and text for just $9.99 as an incentive to people to try the iPhone. Sounds like a great deal.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I've just heard from my Corp AT&T rep who is suggesting that the iPhone will be offered with a bundled plan so that data and text are together. This reduces the elements to just two, the choice of voice plan minutes and the bundled unlimited data and text for just $9.99 as an incentive to people to try the iPhone. Sounds like a great deal.
That is great news :laugh2:. I really hope your rep wasn't mistaken. Hopefully AT&T will make an announcement soon.

Thanks for sharing this. I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be getting an iPhone after all.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
As long as I don't have to switch away from my current great deal of a voice plan to add on the new data plan, I'll be thrilled with that. Surprised, but thrilled.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
To all current customers of AT&T (Cingular) no worries. You will be able to keep your current voice plan as it's completely separate from the other data and text plans.

Thats' one of the reasons my voice plan is so inexpensive, I've had the same voice plan for 6 years. In that period of time, just from AT&T/Cingular I've purchased or "upgraded" 12 phones, and each time the only thing that changes is the choices I make for data. It's one of the several reasons I stay with Cingular/AT&T. I'm not suggesting they are perfect at all, I'm simply relaying my experience. In each and every case they have been very good at working with me and they get the credit for making it possible for me to upgrade so frequently. While I will take some of the credit, because I never hesitate to ask even when not eligible. I simply remind them of my loyalty as a customer, my willingness to extend my contract at any time for 2 years and they give me great pricing.

The reason I'm always willing to renew is for me (only speaking for myself) the network coverage is unbeatable. I travel constantly and rarely have an issue. So that works for me.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
As long as I don't have to switch away from my current great deal of a voice plan to add on the new data plan, I'll be thrilled with that. Surprised, but thrilled.
I've broken down the calling plan question:

most of you have a nation plan through cingular. I have the 450 nation, which is $39.99/mo and works for me. on top of that you also most likely have a data and text plan, like i do. I have the MEdia Basic plan with unlimited M2M messaging which is an aditional $14.99/mo. so my bill is $55 before tax.

You can keep that nation plan and remove the MEdia package, taking the monthly bill back donw to is base rate of $39.99 then add a feature called smartphone max which is unlimited data (e-mail, MEdia net, internet browsing) and get 1500 messages (text, pic, video, IM) for $29.99/mo. this puts your bill at $70 a month. which isn't bad for what your getting.

or you can add the smartphone max w/ unlimited M2M messaging, which is the same as smratphone max but includes unlimited M2M messaging, obviously. that is $34.99/mo leaving you at $75 a month, which is still pretty good considering what your getting.

This is all assuming that the iPhone will be under the smartphone billing category with AT&T. which im pretty sure it will be.

What it breaks down to is if you want unlimited data, add $30 or $35 to your base plan (the price with out added features) you have now.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I don't think you will be able to use existing data plans with the iPhone. I emailed AT&T last night regarding data plans. I asked them if my current data plan would work with the iPhone or if I would have to upgrade to a new plan. They responded with "We are truly sorry that we are unable to advise what data plans will be needed for the iPhone." I think if the iPhone were going to use existing data plans they would have said so. I think it is more likely that they will have a special "iPhone Data Plan" and they are not ready yet to release information on it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I am not good with cell plans. Here are my 2 driving questions:

1. Will ATT offer an easy way to switch from another network?

2. Will ATT offer something like myFaves?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
I am not good with cell plans. Here are my 2 driving questions:

1. Will ATT offer an easy way to switch from another network?

2. Will ATT offer something like myFaves?

yes there is an easy way to switch, all cell providers make it easy now.

i'm almost positive that att doesn't have a myfaves or fave5 type deal... i think ATTingular could answer that better tho.