AT&T pre-order -- Never Again

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by raqball, Sep 14, 2012.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

What a disaster! Pre-ordered last night at 12:30 CA time and it went though the system, assigned a new phone # ect..

Wake up this morning to an email saying order on hold because card could not be processed.. Impossible as there is currently $2176.18 in my checking account (I used my debit card to order)

Called after reading the email and they processed the card again over the phone and said it went through and processed just fine.

Next email I get says order was cancelled...

Called again and was told the card was not processed.. I have never had an issue using this card before when ordering online.

Use a different credit card this time that has a $5,000 limit with a $4,700 available.. She says the order was updated and that it went through just fine..

Awaiting the next email to see what it says..

Wonder if my debit card will be charged twice and if my CC will also be charged or maybe even another email from AT&T saying there is another issue..

Wow! Seriously AT&T? Never again....

2. NYR2405

NYR2405 New Member

I have something similar happen to me every year. I always pre order as soon as the phone goes on sale at 3 am and use the same bank of america card. An every year after I send the order and go back to sleep I wake up to an email from Apple saying my card was declined even though it has a 10,000 balance and all but a few hundred is available. Then a little while later I get a call from bank of America alerting me to fraud on my account. While I appreciate the effort I do this every year, it's getting frustrating. Especially since it's a card I use regularly so it's not like it's sitting inactive

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Was your first card a debit card? And what's the limit on it? Mine is $400 bucks so if I wanted to use that instead of my credit card I had to call my bank first and raise the limit on it. Just out of curiosity.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yes the 1st card was a debt card with a $1,000 daily limit.. Have not used it in 3 days so I know the daily limit was not the issue..

AT&T billing / shipping info is also an exact match to the name and address for my bank..

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

that's strange, but I've heard the best way is to use a credit card and that's what I did, 3 generations and no problems. It must be a pain thou.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I believe because so many people want this really bad fraud is very high
    I got a text from my Bank asking if they were a FRAUD ?
    I texted N for no and all was good.
    They don't know how much money you have!
    It's automated and just like at the gas station you swipe your card and it preauthorized a big amount (afterall you could have a SEMI TRUCK ?) they don't know what ya actually use.
    I bet since the amount is pending for a while they authorize a much bigger amount just in case you buy other stuff so the amount is still covered when they actually charge it.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I don't think it's my bank or card... I seriously think its on AT&T end because I have never had an issue using the card online before..

Ordered new tires on line for my Camaro a few months ago and the total was like $900ish.. It went through without a hitch not to mention the many, many times it's been used at other online shops with no problem...

Fingers crossed that it went through this time.. The last rep said it would still arrive on the 21st and had a pending shipment date of the 20th..

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Still shows as processing... Should have ordered from Apple... Oh well, there is always the whole stand in line option right? LOL

In all seriousness, lesson learned as next year I won't even consider AT&T as an ordering option..

9. NYR2405

NYR2405 New Member

Did you order it as soon as it went on sale? It could be because it's showing up as a charge in California at midnight their time when all your other charges are from the state you are from. It's just your bank trying to protect you.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow. I used my debit card this morning with AT&T to pre-order and had no problem at all. Maybe different banks have different rules for online purchases/limits. Hope you're still going to get one on 9/21...

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I live in CA.. It's not the bank as I called them this AM and they said nothing was processed from AT&T so they had nothing to decline.. They said had they received the authorization, it would have been approved.. something is jacked at AT&T..

Mine appeared to go through just fine as well both times.. AT&T even assigned a phone # to my account..

Not my banks issue as I stated above they said that they received nothing from AT&T...

I'm clueless but since my bank says they did not deny any charges the AT&T system must be at fault somewhere..

Odd.. The last call I made I used a different CC and was told that it went through with a pending shipping date of 9-20 however the order still shows as processing..

What a mess... Next year it's all Apple web site or Apple Store App for me..

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's AT&T. They even do this when I pay my bill. They take the money, it goes back into account, & you get billed later. I had my 4S almost 2 weeks before they took money out for good last year.

13. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

AT&T messed up my orders too....I will be standing in line at Apple store on the 21st to get my IP5

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I *think* mine has been resolved by using a different card (I had to call and change the payment info) after I got the there is a problem with your order email..

Called AT&T a little bit ago and they said its the same order # with a ( -1 ) at the end and that everything is good and that it shows a pending ship date of 9-20..

I won't hold my breath though.. if I don't get shipping notification on the 20th, I will plan on going the in store route..

What a mess...

15. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

I just called AT&T's number for order status. What is weird is online it tells me my item is processing. When i use the phone number, it is an automated system that says it is backordered? :(

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What time did you order it? They sold out of launch day iPhones early this morning. Orders placed later in the day will delivered two weeks later.

17. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

I am sorry it was around 4 am central time. Maybe a little later. I had a rough time trying to do it. And ended up completing it through the AT&T premier website at that time. I am just wondering why the website has already assigned a new number, since this was an added line. Says that a sim and white iPhone is processing. But the automated line says I am sorry but your order is backordered, and will ship once it is available?

18. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

Well once everything was fixed....it said 2 weeks for me to get my IP5's.....so I am going to go stand in line this Friday so I can get my IP5's.

Can't wait.

19. xxsirvtecxx

xxsirvtecxx Member
    Bronze

Thats pretty retarded, well I hope all goes well! Thats why i went the next day to Best Buy, pre-ordered mine with them there, plus for every dollar I spend (since im doing an early upgrade) is going to give me money back since im a reward zone member, it all works out :) I highly recommend going their next time.