AT&T Pricing Update

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=13745An Update for our Customers

Some customers have had questions about our plans and policies for iPhone 3G S, and we’d like to provide you with answers. We’d also like to announce a change to the date when some iPhone customers are eligible for our best upgrade pricing to iPhone 3G S.
PRICING

Importantly, we want our customers to better understand our wireless device upgrade program. Like most U.S. carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.
We also currently offer early upgrade pricing only for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.
All of that said, we’ve been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks shy of being upgrade eligible due to iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, we’re extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time.
We’re now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.
If you’re one of the many customers who will benefit from this change, please note that our upgrade eligibility tools will reflect this change on Thursday, June 18.
We invite you to come to our stores beginning Friday during normal store hours, although please be aware that customer demand may exceed supply in some of our stores. You may also preorder online on June 18 at www.att.com/iPhone, and your iPhone 3G S will arrive in 7 — 14 days. Or you can purchase iPhone 3G S at Apple’s retail and online stores, as well as at other popular retailers.
If you’re one of the customers who benefits from this change, and you’ve already preordered from an AT&T store, we’ll adjust the price of the device when you pick it up. If you benefit from the change and you pre-ordered from AT&T online, we’ll send you an e-mail and issue you a credit.
If you pre-ordered an iPhone 3G S through Apple’s online store, your upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on AT&T's new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If you are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue you a credit for the difference as applicable.
So, what if you still aren’t eligible for our best upgrade pricing and you still want iPhone 3G S now? You do have options:

• You may qualify for the iPhone 3G S early upgrade price of $399 (16GB) or $499 (32GB).
  • You can pay full retail — and not have to sign a 2-year contract — at $599 (16GB) or $699 (32GB).
  • You can wait until you’re eligible for our best upgrade pricing. We invite you to check your upgrade eligibility by visiting www.att.com/iPhone, calling *NEW# (*639#) on your AT&T device (we’ll send you a text with upgrade information), or visiting any of our over 2,200 stores.
If you want more details on our pricing and upgrade policy, check out our FAQs. And as always, you may visit one of our stores to talk with a representative.
In Summary

We’ve listened to our customers — and hope our response helps answer some of your questions and concerns.
We are incredibly proud to be the U.S. carrier for the new iPhone 3G S and will work around the clock to be ready on June 19 to serve customers who are interested in the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.
Learn more about iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
So i guess they did listen?

Still not for me because im eligible on 12/12, even though i got my iPhone 3G on iDay last year... and my bill is over $100.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So i guess they did listen?

Still not for me because im eligible on 12/12, even though i got my iPhone 3G on iDay last year... and my bill is over $100.
My bill is about 200 before taxes, but it goes by how much is billed per line. Until about Feb my line was just under 100 bucks, it is now over 100, so I'll see after I get my 3G S if I will make it to the 12 month mark, which would be sweet with a 1 year cycle on new iPhones.

machead

Jul 18, 2007
ATT revises iPhone 3GS eligibility policy

Just got an email from corp.

If you have a 3G and are upgrade eligible in July, August or September, starting tomorrow (6/18) you can get the upgrade price!

If you already ordered through Apple's online store and are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue a credit to you.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Just got an email from corp.

If you have a 3G and are upgrade eligible in July, August or September, starting tomorrow (6/18) you can get the upgrade price!
crap. wish they would have thought of that sooner. I am pulling the old SIM switcheroo because I had another line with eligibility and mine is eligible in July. that would have saved me the hassle and I would have waited a week to get it...6 weeks was gonna be tough.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Kind of silly that ATT can "automate" this early upgrade issue but cannot automatically enable MMS on all phones.

srjeffery

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
what would make someone eligible in july as opposed to dec if both would have been purchased no sooner than july 08?

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
**New Upgrade Policy for Current 3G Users**

This just in about 2 minutes ago. Some 3G users who pay over $100 a month are lucky to upgrade now. Please read on.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]AT&T revises iPhone 3G S eligibility policy to benefit hundreds of thousands of most loyal customers AT&T has made a change to our upgrade eligibility policy to make it easier for many iPhone 3G customers to have iPhone 3G S at our best upgrade pricing, effective Friday, June 19.
We have been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks away from being upgrade eligible due to the iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, we are extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time.
We are offering our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009, our best upgrade pricing, beginning Friday, June 19.
The change will impact hundreds of thousands of customers who will become upgrade eligible in July, August and September 2009, so they can have this powerful device at our best prices. These include customers who likely camped at our stores, stood in long lines, or waited for iPhone 3G inventory to arrive last July. We heard from some of them, and at AT&T, The Customer Rules!, so we are making this change to help them. We value their businesss — and want to keep them doing businesss with AT&T.
Like most U.S. wireless carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the less time they have to wait to get another device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months. We also currently offer early upgrade pricing only for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.
For customers who will benefit from this change, our upgrade eligibility website will reflect the change on Thursday. We are inviting these customers to come to our company-owned retail locations beginning Friday during normal businesss hours, although customers need to be aware that customer demand may exceed supply at some of our stores. Customers also can order online at www.att.com/iPhone. Or customers can purchase iPhone 3G S at Apple's retail and online stores, as well as other popular retailers.
We will also apply this change for qualifying customers who have already preordered iPhone 3G S from AT&T. Customers who preordered in AT&T stores will have the price adjusted when they pick up their device. Customers who preordered from att.com will receive an email and will be issued a credit.
If customers pre-ordered through Apples online store, their upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on our new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If they are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue a credit for the difference as applicable.
We will continue to give our best prices on iPhone 3G S — $199 (16GB) and $299 (32GB) — to new customers and existing customers who meet upgrade eligibility requirements. Typically, these customers have not received a subsidy (new customers) or receive one but sufficient time has elapsed to allow us to recover it (existing customers who are upgrade eligible). This policy has not changed with todays news.
Click here for more information on iPhone 3G S and the revised upgrade policy.
We are incredibly proud to be the exclusive U.S. carrier for iPhone 3G S, and we are working around the clock to be ready Friday to serve customers who are interested in the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet. And available only from AT&T in the U.S.!
[/FONT]

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I posted this about an hour ago in the 3G S forum with a link to AT&T's press release.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
what would make someone eligible in july as opposed to dec if both would have been purchased no sooner than july 08?
If your line (not total bill, but what is billed to your number) is 100 dollars or greater you get upgrade eligibility at 12 months, 69-100 is 18 months and standar is 20 months.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters

Sorry if this is already being covered in other topics, I just think it's news that deserves it's own thread.

AT&T on Wednesday published an open letter to customers on its iPhone 3G S upgrade eligibility program in which it announced that, for a limited time, it will offer early iPhone 3G adopters the opportunity to purchase an iPhone 3G S at the same $199 and $299 price points as new customers.
Specifically, AT&T said it will offer iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 its best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.

Affected customers who've already preordered from an AT&T store will see the cost of the device adjusted when they come to pick it up. If you pre-ordered from AT&T online, AT&T says it will send you an e-mail and issue a credit.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...3g_s_prices_for_early_iphone_3g_adopters.html

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
AT&T adjusts upgrade elegibility to include 3G early adopters

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=13745

An Update for our Customers

June 17th Announcement:

iPhone 3G S Upgrade Eligibility Update.

An Update for our Customers

Some customers have had questions about our plans and policies for iPhone 3G S, and we’d like to provide you with answers. We’d also like to announce a change to the date when some iPhone customers are eligible for our best upgrade pricing to iPhone 3G S.
PRICING

Importantly, we want our customers to better understand our wireless device upgrade program. Like most U.S. carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

We also currently offer early upgrade pricing only for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

All of that said, we’ve been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks shy of being upgrade eligible due to iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, we’re extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time.

We’re now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.

If you’re one of the many customers who will benefit from this change, please note that our upgrade eligibility tools will reflect this change on Thursday, June 18.

We invite you to come to our stores beginning Friday during normal store hours, although please be aware that customer demand may exceed supply in some of our stores. You may also preorder online on June 18 at www.att.com/iPhone, and your iPhone 3G S will arrive in 7 — 14 days. Or you can purchase iPhone 3G S at Apple’s retail and online stores, as well as at other popular retailers.

If you’re one of the customers who benefits from this change, and you’ve already preordered from an AT&T store, we’ll adjust the price of the device when you pick it up. If you benefit from the change and you pre-ordered from AT&T online, we’ll send you an e-mail and issue you a credit.
If you pre-ordered an iPhone 3G S through Apple’s online store, your upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on AT&T's new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If you are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue you a credit for the difference as applicable.

So, what if you still aren’t eligible for our best upgrade pricing and you still want iPhone 3G S now? You do have options:

• You may qualify for the iPhone 3G S early upgrade price of $399 (16GB) or $499 (32GB).
  • You can pay full retail — and not have to sign a 2-year contract — at $599 (16GB) or $699 (32GB).
  • You can wait until you’re eligible for our best upgrade pricing. We invite you to check your upgrade eligibility by visiting www.att.com/iPhone, calling *NEW# (*639#) on your AT&T device (we’ll send you a text with upgrade information), or visiting any of our over 2,200 stores.
If you want more details on our pricing and upgrade policy, check out our FAQs. And as always, you may visit one of our stores to talk with a representative.
In Summary

We’ve listened to our customers — and hope our response helps answer some of your questions and concerns.

We are incredibly proud to be the U.S. carrier for the new iPhone 3G S and will work around the clock to be ready on June 19 to serve customers who are interested in the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.
Learn more about iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
There ya go whiners and complainers. :-D

I hope this is the same case next year when they come out with a brand new iPhone. Otherwise, you folks all just got real lucky and the rest of us will get screwed in the future.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I think it's funny that I spend over 100 for my line but added a second line in December for my sister and all the main charges ended up going on her phone and the only one on mine is the 39.99. I've had that line for 7 years and only recently added the second. I told them mine was the main line too. Oh well, I'm not complaining but I wonder what the reasoning was behind it.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Yeah I posted this a while ago in the 3GS forum..I realize it is about AT&T service...but it applies to 3GS buyers, which is why I posted it in there in the first place.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I am eligible on July 11th, so I was gonna buy the 3GS and return it within 30 days for a full refund less the restocking fee, and then rebuy it on July 11th for $199. This saves me a huge hassle.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
When do you need to have started spending more than 99 on your line? I need to check if I go over on that line. Bill is around 180 a month but with 3 lines (only 1 iPhone though) but soon to be 2!