AT&T Provides Free Wi-Fi Access to iPhone Users

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nice find... and a very cool gesture on AT&T's part.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes I was in two starbucks today and they both had it .. Its NICE to have that... Especialy on the crapper there ... :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think I've ever encountered an AT&T WiFi spot but it's pretty sweet they're now free.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is very cool. Is it unlimited free access?

Also, they have more public spots than I thought they would - at least here in Austin - Barnes & Noble stores, some McDonalds, Dennys, airport, Starbucks etc.

You can check out where exactly they have a spot in your area at this site:

http://attwifi.know-where.com/attwifi/cgi/index?design=default

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
If you have AT&T dsl at home you also get free access to all hotspots anyway.....

AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service is FREE and already included if you subscribe to AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verseSM or AT&T FastAccess® DSL with a speed of 1.5 Mbps or higher. No ordering required! Simply use your AT&T high-speed Internet membership ID and password at any AT&T Wi-Fi Basic hot spot.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Has anyone tried accessing at locations other than Starbucks?

I just tried Barnes and Noble with no luck. I picked up a fancy flyer that mirrors the pay-as-you go options, but it doesn't show free Wi/Fi for iPhone users. I contacted AT&T and was told that there would an implementation period before seeing I'd at all authorized locations.

Rats. :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmm... AT&T... Starbucks... McDonald's... Barnes & Noble... airports.

sounds like a new Axis of Evil to me.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Has anyone tried accessing at locations other than Starbucks?

I just tried Barnes and Noble with no luck. I picked up a fancy flyer that mirrors the pay-as-you go options, but it doesn't show free Wi/Fi for iPhone users. I contacted AT&T and was told that there would an implementation period before seeing I'd at all authorized locations.

Rats. :(
I tried a Barnes and Noble this afternoon as well - got same result as you. No-go for now. Starbucks was quick and easy - brought up a page with a big banner saying Free iPhone Access, enter your phone number and away you go. B&N offered all sorts of coupon and membership and $3.99 for two hours options, but no free iPhone option. I asked about it, and a friendly but clueless staffer offered me the same leaflet you got I think.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Works in 3 starbucks and 1 Barnes Nobles in my town :laugh2:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Do "normal folk" have to pay for this stuff at Starbucks and McDonalds? How much?

Sorry for sounding newbie, but I'm perfectly happy with Edge on the run... never bought wifi time ever.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Do "normal folk" have to pay for this stuff at Starbucks and McDonalds? How much?

Sorry for sounding newbie, but I'm perfectly happy with Edge on the run... never bought wifi time ever.
The options screen I got at Barnes and Noble where free plan is not rolled out yet showed a $3.99 for two hours, plus daily and beyond memberships that I didn't even look at prices for. Edge will do well enough for me as well - if it ain't free, I can't see paying for it ...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
From iPhone Alley:
Remember when we thought we'd get free Wi-Fi for our iPhones at Starbucks, and then thought we wouldn't, and then realized that they were doing it after all? Well, it seems that AT&T hasn't yet grown tired of toying with our hearts and has reportedly disabled the hotspots which were once open to iPhone users. We're assuming it's temporary.

Considering that the AT&T hotspot pages literally said "Free AT&T Wi-Fi for iPhone", we're quite confident that it wasn't a mistake. It's more likely that AT&T started rolling out the service prematurely and will enable it again shortly.