AT&T reception booster

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
I think there has already been a discussion on this but I can't remember what the device is called thereforee I can't search for it. I am looking for something from AT&T that will boost the cell service at my parents house. In most of the house there is only one bar of cell service and in some places none. But once you walk out the door onto the street it's full bars. I thought there was a device that would help this. Any help would be appreciated. (except from Bennyboy ;) )

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I believe you're thinking of the 3G Micro Cell that AT&T has. my Sister was eligible for a free one, seeing her area sucks.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I think there has already been a discussion on this but I can't remember what the device is called thereforee I can't search for it. I am looking for something from AT&T that will boost the cell service at my parents house. In most of the house there is only one bar of cell service and in some places none. But once you walk out the door onto the street it's full bars. I thought there was a device that would help this. Any help would be appreciated. (except from Bennyboy ;) )
AH! I got nothing anyway :D
except for the AT&T micro cell.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
I believe you're thinking of the 3G Micro Cell that AT&T has. my Sister was eligible for a free one, seeing her area sucks.
thank you I will look into it. Hopefully free for us also. Bc I think they are over $100.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I have one. It works for me.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Just called a manager friend of mine at AT&T and he said $200 up front. No monthly fees. My brother is picking one up wednesday. Thank you for help I'm sure it will help them get better swervice. One other question though, if your connected to the micro cell can you still be connected to wifi. Or is it one or the other?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Just called a manager friend of mine at AT&T and he said $200 up front. No monthly fees. My brother is picking one up wednesday. Thank you for help I'm sure it will help them get better swervice. One other question though, if your connected to the micro cell can you still be connected to wifi. Or is it one or the other?
yes, you can be connected to the M-cell and wifi at the same time.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I'm moving to a house in the woods in January that the AT&T map is showing "Good" coverage only...not best and not moderate. I am used to five bars now...and want to avoid a landline if possible. Think the Microcell would be a good idea?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
In the woods?

These microcell/femtocell devices are used to convert a broadband connection to cell radio. It's kind of like a wifi router except the radio frequency is cellphone.

Point is you have to have DSL/cable internet in these woods to make it work.

The thread title might be a little misleading as it's not boosting existing reception. It's a tiny cell tower on it's own. Technically you could connect it somewhere with zero cell coverage and it still works so long as you've got broadband internet.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
In the woods?

These microcell/femtocell devices are used to convert a broadband connection to cell radio. It's kind of like a wifi router except the radio frequency is cellphone.

Point is you have to have DSL/cable internet in these woods to make it work.

The thread title might be a little misleading as it's not boosting existing reception. It's a tiny cell tower on it's own. Technically you could connect it somewhere with zero cell coverage and it still works so long as you've got broadband internet.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I know what it does, just asking if it's worth it. It's a big, modern house, just located off the beaten path.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I know what it does, just asking if it's worth it. It's a big, modern house, just located off the beaten path.
:) wasn't sure it was clear from the previous remarks. At first I thought there was some kind of powered antenna device kind of like a wifi "booster". A cell "booster" would be an interesting new piece of tech to me.

;)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
At first I thought there was some kind of powered antenna device kind of like a wifi "booster". A cell "booster" would be an interesting new piece of tech to me.
Yeah, it would be interesting. I think if AT&T offered to put their "boosters" that, say, work for 5-10 houses, on people's property free of charge to the owner, they could use their real estate while providing better cellular coverage to folks in that area. Might be able to even figure out how to lock in only certain people so random passersby don't benefit from something you gave some land up for.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I think I read that it's 40ft and you can designate up to 10 IMEI's.