AT&T saying they are not bumping contracts

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I won't be selling my iPhone 4S (giving it to a good friend when I'm ready to part with it), and I would love to have the new iPhone 5 in black 64 GB model. But I will not pay $700 for it, which is what it would cost me with the high sales tax in CA. I won't qualify for the subsidized price until June 2013. I will just wait until the 5S or 6 comes out next September. I will still have the advantage of the OS 6, although it may not be as snappy on the 4S.

iPhoneAT&T.PNG

EmiPhone

Jul 14, 2010
Hey folks. I recently retired from AT&T retail. I promise you this, whether you choose to believe it or not is entirely up to you.

APPLE DOES CONTROL 95% of the guidelines for upgrading. If,and only if, you meet a certain set of stiff criteria, will AT&T allow you to upgrade if you are still under contract. If you are outside that criteria it requires approval from the VP Level. Since the iPhone first came out I would estimate that less than 15% of the request submitted to VP's are approved. I have seen many very good reps get fired for ignoring the guidelines.

True, AT&T has made a mint off the iPhone, as has Apple; however,in my 20+ years with AT&T, or one of their entities, the iPhone is the one and only product that AT&T had and still has virtually no control over from the get go. That is the contract Apple insisted on for AT&T's exclusivity the first five years. Apple really could care less if you can upgrade now. There have been hundreds of thousands of customers who either pay full price, or add new lines just to get the latest.The first day the. iPhone came out, 35% of then were purchased at full price.

Feel lucking if you do not qualify and you are able to find a call center rep who gives in and approves you because you yelled, threatened to leave, or whatever. That rep was probably a new rep, learning the ropes and thought they were doing the right thing in approving you. It is likely that was one of the last decisions they made before AT&T fired them. AT&T pays a penalty to Apple for each incident outside the guidelines.

If you want the latest toy and don't qualify yet, man up and pay full price, or add a new line. Don't cause someone to lose their very good job in this economy, simply because you are too cheap and feel you are entitled and use intimidation to get your way. In third grade we used to call that bullying. Now,at 65, I just call it what it is; childish selfish greed.

You need to know all of you facts before you start intimidating people who are simply following regulations trying to make a living.

I know you are all think switching to Verizon, or Sprint is a viable option. Here is a fact that may make you reconsider. One of the most popular features of the iPhone has always been the capability to both talking on the phone and browsing the Internet, text simultaneously. THAT IS ONLY POSSIBLE ON AT&T 'S NETWORK IN THE US. No other carrier is even close to being able to offer that. AT&T is the ONLY carrier that decided years ago to invest the massive capital required to meet WORLD standards.

So don use the old threaten to change carriers unless you are 100% sure you are willing to live with their system capabilities. They won't improve any time soon.

There are lots of people out there that would be tickled to death to have a 4, or 4S. Sell your to one of them to help pay for the 5. Customers do it all the time.

My final suggestion is this; always make sure you are dealing with an AT&T CORPORATE STORE. The authorized dealers will sometimes clean your clock while having you sign extra contracts that AT&T does not.

The best way to tell the difference is simple. AT&T CORPORATE STORES HAVE NOTHING BUT THE AT&T LOGO ON THEIR STOREFRONT. ALL EMPLOYEES WILL BE WEARING CORPORATE UNIFORM ATTIRE AND WIKL BE WEARING AT&T PHOTO IDENTIFICATION BADGES,BECASE THEY ARE ACTUAL CORPORATE EMPLOYEES.

ALL AUTHORIZED DEALERS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE THE STATEMENT "Authorized Dealer" INCORPORATED WITHIN THE AT&T LOGO SIGN AND/OR THE ACTUAL NAME OF THEIR COMPANY.

DEALERS SIMPLY SELL AT&T's SERVICES AND PLAY ALL KINDS OF SHADY GAMES WITH EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES. I HAVE SEEN MANY AN AUTHORIZED DEALER GIVE YOU GREAT PHONES, ALLTHE ACCESSORIES FOR FREE, BUTIN THE PAPERWORK YOU SIGN YOU MAY SEE A PARAGRAPH, OR JUST A SENTENCE STATING THAT YOU HAVE ANYWHERE FROM 12 TO 24 HOURS TO RETURN EVERYTHING WITH A RESTOCKING FED. AFTER THAT, IF YOU ARE LATE ON A PAYMENT, OR CANCEL WITHIN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS YOU OWE THEM FULL RETAIL PRICE FOR ALL EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES. I HAVE SEE THEIR FULL RETAIL PRICES BE AS HIGH AS $1,600.00, THOSE ARE LEGITIMATE, THOUGH UNFAIR AND UNETHICAL CONTRACTS.

I used to see them every day.

THE BIG BOX STORES LIKE RADIO SHACK AND BEST BUY ARE USUALLY ON THE UP AND UP.

I. HAVE LEARNED ANYTHING OVER THE YEARS IT IS THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AD FREE. YOU ALWAYS END UP PAYING FOR THINGS IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. THE OTHER IS TO NEVER BELIEVE WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU ABOUT THE GOOD DEAL THEY GOT, UNLESS YOU WITNESS IT FIRSY HAND. GOOD DEAL STORIES ARE OFTEN MORE EXAGGERATED THAN FISHING STORIES.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

My husband was not due for an upgrade until May 2013 but he really wanted an iPhone 5. So he decided to pay $199 +$250 early upgrade fee for his 16 gb iPhone 5. I never saw this thread until today after we already pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I saw a lot of people on here were getting a special treatment so I thought I might give it a try. Unfortunately, after 2 phone calls to AT&T, both reps couldn't offer me anything, not even $200 discount credit to my bill cycle or whatever .. nothing (maybe I'm trying this a little too late, should have tried it before the release date). I was furious, since I've been paying about $240 for phone bills every month, I recently traveled to Europe in May for a month and my phone bill was over $700 that month. I felt like they could have done something nice for me just once.

I kept ranting about it all afternoon to my husband who didn't really care if AT&T would have given in or not .. he said "They can't afford to give everyone special treatment and in fact they don't owe us anything, not the early upgrade nor the discount favor". Maybe he's right and after reading your post, I feel a little better really. Thank you so much.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Just got off the phone as a last ditch effort to bump my upgrade date which was a no but she said I could use one of my other lines for that but I thought she was talking about my daughter turns she was talking about my wife iPad. So I can use the iPad data plan for the upgrade and the just switch it I over to my number. Sometimes it pays to talk to a different person.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I'll tell you exactly what to do. You keep calling until you get the person that is willing to help you. There is always at least one person that will work some magic and make it happen. If all else fails. Call the cancellation department. Tell them, yeah you hate that it has come to this because you have always loved att but you want the new iPhone now and if that means you have to go to verizon, then you will. Bluff them into working something out to keep you on. If they still say no, you can always just say,"well, let me think about it for a day or two." lol But generally they are going to try desperately to keep you. I had them jumping through all kinds of hoops to keep me and I don't even have an att tower for up to 15 miles from where I moved to here in Ohio. They even sent me a free 3G microcell and knocked off 20 dollars off my monthly bill every month for 6 months. And then when they 3G microcell just didn't cut it, they waived my cancellation fee and I sold the iPhone 4 and the 3G micro cell(the one that I got for free) lol Really liked att too. Really wish they woulda just put up a dang tower in my town. :( Oh well... I guess verizon is the next best thing. As long as it's on an iPhone I figure I'll be happy...

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
see the post I just made. The cancellation department sounds like your best option. If you call them first, they know you mean businesss and they will credit some money back to you. They can give you discounts on upcoming bills or other things to get the money back to you. Just explain how upset you are that you were treated unfairly after years of loyal businesss and stuff. :) Trust me. It works.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I get a discount through work! So my whole family is on my plan! Prob is my dad is kinda a punk sometime and he will be the man between me and my new iPhone 5
I don't understand how your dad will come between you and your own spending on your own account... Are you 18 or older?

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I do have another line that is upgradeable, and it gives the full discount subsidy price. (my main # I use is not). I looked just for the heck of it. It would be of no use anyway. It's not like you can switch SIM cards and that whole sort of thing with iPhones, and also data plans are required, etc, so it wouldn't work for me. I either pay full price or wait until May 2013 which at that point I may as well just wait a few months for the next version. I just got my 4S in Jan/Feb so it's only been like 7-8 months anyway, so I am good with this. Would I enjoy 4G speeds? Of course, and 4G is strong in my area. But my 3G speeds are just fine too. So I'll live. It's not like it's the end of the world or anything.:D
I was told awhile back from AT&T that the early upgrade only applies to the primary phone number on the account. They will allow you to upgrade after a 12 months but other lines have to wait 24.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I do have another line that is upgradeable, and it gives the full discount subsidy price. (my main # I use is not). I looked just for the heck of it. It would be of no use anyway. It's not like you can switch SIM cards and that whole sort of thing with iPhones, and also data plans are required, etc, so it wouldn't work for me. I either pay full price or wait until May 2013 which at that point I may as well just wait a few months for the next version. I just got my 4S in Jan/Feb so it's only been like 7-8 months anyway, so I am good with this. Would I enjoy 4G speeds? Of course, and 4G is strong in my area. But my 3G speeds are just fine too. So I'll live. It's not like it's the end of the world or anything.:D
you can still do that, all you have to do is follow these instructions : http://www.att.com/esupport/iPhoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
you can still do that, all you have to do is follow these instructions : http://www.att.com/esupport/iPhoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S
That's pretty cool. I did not think they allowed such a thing!
Now, here are two fundamental concerns of mine though, and wondering what you or anyone think if there are workarounds:
1. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan since 2007 and there is absolutely no way I am willing to have that messed with.
2. Ordering the iPhone 5 under my upgradeable line will still require a data plan so I'll get stuck paying for two data plans a month.

Pertaining to #1: if I then ask AT&T to change the iPhone 5 to my current number, I am concerned that this would then transfer my own phone number to the new iPhone 5 with the new data plan that would be ordered with it and then my unlimited would then go to the other number or more to the point, end up being tossed to the wind.
I'm not even a data hog either, and I've never been throttled but no way am I giving up unlimited because I still use data a lot in small spurts. I'm not willing to risk this and I will be more than fine on my 4S rather than take a risk and lose.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I bought a iPhone5 today from AT&T, used my husbands upgrade since I wasn't eligible and did not lose my unlimited data. That said I would do the transaction in a store. My understanding it is only if you change voice services that the unlimited data comes into question.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I bought a iPhone5 today from AT&T, used my husbands upgrade since I wasn't eligible and did not lose my unlimited data. That said I would do the transaction in a store. My understanding it is only if you change voice services that the unlimited data comes into question.
Congrats on being able to get the iPhone 5 and keep unlimited!
Question though: Does your husband's plan already included a data plan? See, this line of mine does not have one-it's one of two people who just want texting and phone, and no data-they have as basic phones as you can get nowadays. So thereforee I would be required to add a new data plan which I do not want to do. I believe the lowest is $20/month. 20X12=240+200=440= only $9.00 less than what my full price of $449 would be. Totally defeats the purpose. Unless I'm missing something that is.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
You will be fine If you go to the store and do it. I ordered the 4S last year user my sons line that has no data. Once I called to switch the numbers he still has no data plan. I ordered online if you do it all in store then you won't have to worry.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
You will be fine If you go to the store and do it. I ordered the 4S last year user my sons line that has no data. Once I called to switch the numbers he still has no data plan. I ordered online if you do it all in store then you won't have to worry.
Great to know! I will definitely consider this. I'm going to hold off for now, but I am quite glad that I have the option. I may decide I want to do this maybe end of year, but who knows. I may opt to skip the 5 or be at the store in a week, lol. But right this second, I'm waiting.