AT&T Service in Texas - Austin & Houston

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I have been on Sprint for years and overall I have been happy with the service. However, I am not very happy with the hardware. I am looking seriously at the iPhone but this is my businesss phone and I need quality call service. Others I know in Austin complain about a few dropped calls but some don't with ATT. My businesss partner is in Houston and he has some problems with Sprint in areas but overall he's OK. But I certainly do not want to go in reverse as far as call quality is concerned.

For those here in TX - comments?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I live in Austin and have used V1 and 3G iPhones here. Overall, my experience has been very good - very, very few problems with dropped calls (really don't recall any in a long time). 3G coverage is excellent too.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Im in houston and been with att for about 6 years now with no probles with dropped calls. But today edge is out and a few friends are having the problems. This is the first time this has happened to me.

blotto

Jul 29, 2008
Data is down for me today in houston, i can make phone calls but cannot access the internet on edge or on 3g. Other than today i have never had a single problem with the att's network.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Data is down for me today in houston, i can make phone calls but cannot access the internet on edge or on 3g. Other than today i have never had a single problem with the att's network.
Just talked to AT&T and she said the south west region is down.

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I tried one out for a few days and had marginal 3G service - took it back. Now I believe I was testing during the week of the problems in Texas. Thinking about giving it another go now that Best Buy has them for an extra $100 off. I am bumping this to see if the network seems better in Austin now than a month ago?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I tried one out for a few days and had marginal 3G service - took it back. Now I believe I was testing during the week of the problems in Texas. Thinking about giving it another go now that Best Buy has them for an extra $100 off. I am bumping this to see if the network seems better in Austin now than a month ago?
Bubba - others' mileage may vary of course, but I rarely see any problems with 3G in Austin, and generally find excellent coverage (very few areas where it falls back to Edge) and very good performance.

Also, you probably already know this but just in case, I think to get that Best Buy deal you have to have been a Rewards Club member on or before Feb. 21st.

Having said that, looks like AT&T may still be doing their $99 (for an 8GB) refurb deal:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/refurbished-packages.jsp

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Thanks - yes, I am a Premium Member and thus was thinking about trying again. Obviously, I feel inadequate as a person and I talking myself into getting a new toy.....and a Microcell when it comes out too...

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have been on Sprint for years and overall I have been happy with the service. However, I am not very happy with the hardware. I am looking seriously at the iPhone but this is my businesss phone and I need quality call service. Others I know in Austin complain about a few dropped calls but some don't with ATT. My businesss partner is in Houston and he has some problems with Sprint in areas but overall he's OK. But I certainly do not want to go in reverse as far as call quality is concerned.

For those here in TX - comments?

I'm not in Texas but I do know if you go to the AT&T website there is a coverage map that may help you determine coverage, although keep in mind the map is approximate and doesn't gaurantee coverage, but gives you a general idea of what to expect.

I think it is at http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

budsbava

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
don't know abt the 3g n/w but its wrking perfectly fine for 2g in Austin.!

atx512

Mar 10, 2009
3g in austin is a joke, but the iPhone is worth the hassle.

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I took mine back after 2 weeks - I actually needed to make phone calls on it. Was not a happy camper - ATT's service $ucks IMO, even on 3G. CDMA has spolied me.