AT&T Service shut down in OC California 92707

netguy

Jul 4, 2007
For this past week my iPhone has had no service at my house (92707) after numerous calls to AT&T I finally get a call back today informing me they have been turning off cell towers in my area (I'm wondering if this had anything to do with the old Cingular & T-Mobile roaming agreements?). Anyway, they offered to terminate my contract with no fee's (but won't cover the cost of the iPhone) and suggested I try selling it - I'm like WTF!

So I ask for the manager (a Mr. Nash Alhomady) who subsequently confirms if you're on AT&T in my area you're SOL on cell service. I asked him to turn it back on and he said they would only do so if enough people complained - talk about customer service!

So I have a ibrick that cost my $599, no service at my house (where I work from most of the time) and my provider recommends I sell my phone!

As I love the iPhone I'm looking for options folks - anyone ever contacted the PUC (did it do any good?), or how about contacting the AT&T chairman, Apple or any other suggestions?

(not sent from my iPhone as I have no cell service :mad:)

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
When I was having an issue with T-Mobile I contacted the FCC. I was continuesly getting spam text messages to my T-Mobile phone. The only suggestion that they would give me is to change my number. At the time I was going through a hiring process at several locations and changing my number would have been a bigger pain than it was.

So I early terminated my contract and took my number to Cingular. After doing so I contacted the FCC by letter and a few weeks later I received a letter from T-Mobile stating that my 200 dollar early termination fee would be refunded and thank you for your service.

You may want to try the same approach and see what happens.

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I would definitely file complaints with the PUC, BBB, FCC, and the attorney general in your state. Unfortunately in this case, I'm not sure how much they can do because most cell phone contracts do include provisions that they may cancel service at any time. With continued complaints to these agencies that may be changed one day. Did ATT give you any sort of reason for why they want to discontinue service in your area? I would call back again and see if you can get any other information.

If you can't get service though, the phone isn't helpful and you may just have to get out now. That doesn't help you recoup the iPhone cost which totally sucks. Can you unlock the phone and go to TMobile?

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
I really hate ATT, and really all corporate companies for that matter. No matter what you think, when it comes down to it, they could not care less about you.

Anyways my recommendation is to port your number over to T-mobile then ulock your iPhone and use it with T-Mobile

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Although I'm kind of against unlocking, I too would say port to T-Mobile and unlock. (If you have T-Mobile service there, of course.) Definitely complain to the FFC as well.

netguy

Jul 4, 2007
Update - it did indeed turn out to be AT&T turning off their roaming agreement with T-Mobile in my area. Good news is AT&T are going to put in a new tower .... wait for it .... in 2009! I'm thinking it's time to unlock and move on .....