AT&T Service

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I am having terrible phone service with my iPhone. I get lots of dropped calls and very often folks complain they can not hear me at all when I have a connection. In my house, I can't receive or make calls. I usually step outside when the phone rings and then can usually get a connection. I know this is an AT&T problem and not iPhone, but am wondering what kind of service others are having with AT&T. I live in the Raleigh, NC area. It has gotten so bad, that I am finding myself carrying around my old Sprint phone which is still activated to make calls. It's a shame I have to do this as I really do love all other aspects of my iPhone.

If this keeps up, I may pay the early termination fee on my AT&T account and just use my iPhone as a Touch. I really hate to do this but I've missed several very important phone calls.

jacobjester

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas City, MO
I have always had really good service with AT&T. I have had Cingular/AT&T for 7 years. The only problem I have is related to where I live. I live just outside Dallas and my signal inside my house is only about two bars, but outside the signal jumps to four.

I was in a town this last weekend that was so small there was no population on the town sign, but I had a full signal inside a building.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm not sure if US companies do this, but I know the UK ones do.

Call AT&T and complain about the terrible service in your area. I take it you don't live on a farm with no neighbours for the next 100 miles right? AT&T should investigate the coverage in your area and do something about it. A lot of cell phone companies are usually quite responsive to dead spots.

Bring up the whole issue about this "More bars in more places" crap they keep talking about on their commercials. If a company cannot provide you with good service, they should waive the early termination fee, should you decide to go elsewhere.

I am having terrible phone service with my iPhone. I get lots of dropped calls and very often folks complain they can not hear me at all when I have a connection. In my house, I can't receive or make calls. I usually step outside when the phone rings and then can usually get a connection. I know this is an AT&T problem and not iPhone, but am wondering what kind of service others are having with AT&T. I live in the Raleigh, NC area. It has gotten so bad, that I am finding myself carrying around my old Sprint phone which is still activated to make calls. It's a shame I have to do this as I really do love all other aspects of my iPhone.

If this keeps up, I may pay the early termination fee on my AT&T account and just use my iPhone as a Touch. I really hate to do this but I've missed several very important phone calls.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Do you have lead walls in your house or something?

I have always had really good service with AT&T. I have had Cingular/AT&T for 7 years. The only problem I have is related to where I live. I live just outside Dallas and my signal inside my house is only about two bars, but outside the signal jumps to four.

I was in a town this last weekend that was so small there was no population on the town sign, but I had a full signal inside a building.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Do you have lead walls in your house or something?
Nope regular old house. Let me ask you all this - is there any chance this could be an iPhone problem? It is very annoying, I'll be talking along to someone and then out of the blue the connection just drops - kind of like that TV commercial they are running these days (don't remember the company). I really want this to work as I can't imagine going back to my old cell phone now (Moto Q) or even a Treo. Once you've had an iPhone it really does spoil you for anything else. But I do need reliable phone service. Maybe I'll drop by my local AT&T store and see what they have to say and maybe also try my local Apple store.

jacobjester

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas City, MO
no lead walls...the signal is just spotty. Im in a funky spot. I looked on the coverage viewer at the AT&T website for my area...found out that like five houses down has "great" signal, mine is just "good." Being good on the outside must be diffenent when on the inside.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have the same problem with the bluetooth in my apt. If I go from one room to the other, the signal just dies. In the end I have to carry my phone with me whilst walking around my place.

I've pretty much put it down to something being in the walls that is causing this issue. Even my home WiFi from one room to the next sucks, and I have the N router. In my old place I never had these issues at all.

Nope regular old house. Let me ask you all this - is there any chance this could be an iPhone problem? It is very annoying, I'll be talking along to someone and then out of the blue the connection just drops - kind of like that TV commercial they are running these days (don't remember the company). I really want this to work as I can't imagine going back to my old cell phone now (Moto Q) or even a Treo. Once you've had an iPhone it really does spoil you for anything else. But I do need reliable phone service. Maybe I'll drop by my local AT&T store and see what they have to say and maybe also try my local Apple store.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You're on the wrong side of the tracks my friend.

no lead walls...the signal is just spotty. Im in a funky spot. I looked on the coverage viewer at the AT&T website for my area...found out that like five houses down has "great" signal, mine is just "good." Being good on the outside must be diffenent when on the inside.

loopy

Sep 25, 2007
I live 5 minutes outside Washington DC and AT&T coverage suuuuuuucks. I came from Verizon and paid the early termination fee only to be met by piss-poor service and customer service. Calls get dropped all the time and where I used to get service, I now get intermittent at best. But the bright side is I get unlimited data on the EDGE network.....that is when I get it....damn.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
The service contract is a two way street. If the company can't provide reasonable service, there should be no reason that they can hold you to sustain ONLY your end of the contract.

I would politely ask whether they can remedy the situation, and if not, then they should see it as perfectly reasonable that you part company with no termination penalty. They key is that you have to provide notice that they are in voilation of their contractual obligation, and give them reasonable consideration to remedy.

Do it in person though. A customer service representative will be much less likely to be unreasonable face-to-face.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Le Gaspeth! Dropped Calls? But this is the great AT&T the network with the fewest dropped calls! You dirty liar!

[Obvious Sarcasm]

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I was really reluctant to switch to ATT (i was with t mobile) but i have to admit that I am not disappointed at all by them. First, I never have any dropped call. Never! Second, their customer service has been taking an extremely good care of me.
First they credited $150 back to my account when this price cut came up a couple months ago.
Second, they credited some more money back to me recently for me being overseas thus not using my phone.
Their customer service is one of the top 3 customer services ever (1st would be FedEx, 2nd would be Amex)

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You just live in an area with poor coverage. I've always had good service with Cingular/AT&T. Once they switched to GSM instead of TDMA in '03 it went from good to GREAT service. If you live in an area with limited coverage, you'll never have good service.

drtork

Oct 31, 2007
I've wondered about whether the iPhone is as good a phone as some others as well. My wife and I both recently switched to iPhones, my wife from a Treo and I from a BB Pearl. I haven't noticed that my coverage is much different, but she is very dissatisfied; says she is dropping calls with her iPhone in areas where she never had problems with her Treo.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Has she had her iPhone checked out? Could be a faulty unit.

I've wondered about whether the iPhone is as good a phone as some others as well. My wife and I both recently switched to iPhones, my wife from a Treo and I from a BB Pearl. I haven't noticed that my coverage is much different, but she is very dissatisfied; says she is dropping calls with her iPhone in areas where she never had problems with her Treo.