AT&T slip?

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
I thought i would look into this as i know an AT&T store manager. And its in line with what we have found out so far. Waiting lists have been thrown out, and all there is for release dates are rumors. I was also told something that has me wondering...

Supposedly, there will be a different version of the phone to go on sale towards the end of the year that will be a superior version of the launch phone. Now before you guys cut yourselves, realize that it is only speculation and if these employees don't even know the release date, it is unlikely that they know anything about a future iPhone. But i thought i would throw an empty beer can into the already over flowing heap of rumor garbage out there currently.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I thought i would look into this as i know an AT&T store manager. And its in line with what we have found out so far. Waiting lists have been thrown out, and all there is for release dates are rumors. I was also told something that has me wondering...

Supposedly, there will be a different version of the phone to go on sale towards the end of the year that will be a superior version of the launch phone. Now before you guys cut yourselves, realize that it is only speculation and if these employees don't even know the release date, it is unlikely that they know anything about a future iPhone. But i thought i would throw an empty beer can into the already over flowing heap of rumor garbage out there currently.
Interesting. If the iPhone is anything like Razrs or iPods, it will be updated bit by bit at least twice a year. This is a good point you made.

You also brought up the good point that sometimes we can't trust everything we hear. These employees, for the most part, do not always know about this kind of thing. It is hard to tell the facts from the fiction with all these rumors flying around, and we can only guess at this point.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
June 15th is a speculated date, no one at the store level knows the release date yet. Where 15 came from was a memo to all retail staff informing them that no employee will be allowed to take a vacation from June 15 to July 15, due to the iPhone and summer sales in general. This is not the release date, although it could have been if all the bugs had been worked out in time.

Latest rumor, although unverified and speculative as well, is it will land on or around June 20th. Each regular store will get only 12 devices at launch; that is not speculation. Flagship locations/extremely high traffic stores may get extra, but whenever it lands, you need to run in and get them. It's highly unlikely they'll last the first day. Make sure to call ahead and make sure they're still in stock.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
June 15th is a speculated date, no one at the store level knows the release date yet. Where 15 came from was a memo to all retail staff informing them that no employee will be allowed to take a vacation from June 15 to July 15, due to the iPhone and summer sales in general. This is not the release date, although it could have been if all the bugs had been worked out in time.

Latest rumor, although unverified and speculative as well, is it will land on or around June 20th. Each regular store will get only 12 devices at launch; that is not speculation. Flagship locations/extremely high traffic stores may get extra, but whenever it lands, you need to run in and get them. It's highly unlikely they'll last the first day. Make sure to call ahead and make sure they're still in stock.
This, as you mentioned, is all speculation. I am not sure where you got any of this from, and a link would be great. We can't know anything for sure at this point, related to the release, the demand, the stock, some of the exact features, etc. At least we know that it won't be more than a month 'till we know for sure. And hopefully in that month we will have iPhones secured in our greedy hands :laugh2:

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
The 12 phone shipment number, and the fact that bugs were still being worked out as soon as a month ago is from someone who shouldn't have told me. I'll leave that part at that. The additional number for high traffic location is speculation, however. June 20th is the current scuttlebutt.

The rest is common knowledge throughout the company, though somepeople like to make more of it than there is.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
I also found out that not all AT&T stores will be carrying the iPhone, atleast at lauch anyways. Anyone else have that experience? Perhaps they are keeping phones for higher volume stores...

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
It's very hard to ship to 5,000 stores spread across the country. Some will have it early, some will have it late. That's the simple truth about national chains.

I have no info on whether low traffic locations will not get it at launch. It's probably true, but Apple may have stipulated otherwise.

slgynn29

Bronze
May 23, 2007
is anyone in here from the providence area? do you think that is considered a high volume area?

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Downtown stores are generally the busiest. Provdence is probably big enough to have a major store.

slgynn29

Bronze
May 23, 2007
yeah at the mall there is an Apple store...i imagine they will have a large amount there, the store is always very busy