AT&T, Sprint or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dobymax, May 6, 2012.

1. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I currently have an AT&T iPhone, 4S, which is jailbroken. I am thinking about switching over to Sprint to get the unlimited data plan because I always seem to be listening to Pandora through the iPhone in my car. I was wondering if there is a jailbreak out yet for iOS 5.1, and if not, when do you think it will be out. Also, what are your thoughts about switching to Sprint from AT&T? Thanks in advance.

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Well, there will be a lot of buffering. :) So it's either lots of buffering or capped data. I wouldn't switch yet. I'd wait till the new iphond comes out or until your contrat is up. But I definitely would wait to switch until the new iPhone. I have been texting a sprint user and they hate their service, and there is a system glitch that causes texts to not register as sent and send 2 or 3 times.

3. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Another alternative if your car has satellite radio is Sirius XM, they have deals for $25 for 6 months

4. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Do you guys think that AT&T will ever offer unlimited data? Also Jerome, I have Sirius already, but love Pandora.

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Heck no. With true 5G, maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. lwerle

lwerle Member
    Bronze

Im on Sprint. Love it! No problems at all. Not jail broken though.

7. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

When do you guys think a jailbreak will be available for iOS 5.1, if ever?

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I think a JB is forthcoming.
    One of the Dev team recently posted that he had the exploits needed, and started a poll on his blog to gauge interest in releasing now or waiting until iOS 6. The response was overwhelming for now.

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

My family switched to Sprint wih the launch of the 4S. Noticed right away that for us, we were getting well below their minimum advertised 3G data speeds of 600 kbps:

4fc11ada.jpg

462e86ea.jpg

283914d8.jpg

I did some research before switching and according to the coverage maps for our area, both locations (home and work) we expected to be using the iPhones the most were indicated to have best signal strength.
    Since then, have done a ton of research, and have found that in general, Sprint is using old tech (WinMax) for its 3G service and it is sorely overloaded, and it was only exacerbated with the influx of new customers on the 4/4S.
    I started a trouble ticket right away with customer service, and really got the run around. Was told it was an issue with the iPhone, or that a tower was down or that I needed to perform a reset of the device's PRL (preferred roaming list) settings. All BS.
    In my testing with Speedtest.net, my connection at peak times was in the 300 kbps range, still only half of minimum Sprint said I should be getting. But in the middle of the night 2-5 am, I was getting up to 2K. That clearly demonstrated to me the device and the towers were fine, and as I suspected, the network was just severely overloaded.
    I since wound up filing an FCC complaint, mainly because I was unhappy about the $10 dollar per line additional charge for "premium data speeds", when obviously I was not getting close to half the minimum.
    That finally got Sprint's attention, and have received a refund of $160 for the last 8 months of those charges on my 2 lines.
    I will say that for my use, I really only notice the 3G data speed issue at work since at home I'm on WiFi, and it's not a huge issue as I don't stream.

Some users have reported 3G peak usage speeds as low as 0-30kbps, they time out before they can even load a web page.

I am still with Sprint, as they do have a major plan to upgrade, "network vision":

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage/blog/2011/09/15/what-is-sprint-network-vision?question_box=network%20vision%20sprint&id16=network%20vision%20sprint

In my opinion, Apple was likely very aware of Sprint's current network issues, but had confidence that they would be able to resolve this (with network vision) in a reasonable timeframe. I don't think they would allow their flagship devices to be used on a crippled network without some resolution in sight. Too much bad press.

I have confidence that within the lifetime of the next new iPhone, I will be enjoying comparable speeds with AT&T & Verision, while enjoying unlimited data. Sprint has also recently announced that the unlimited plan will also include 4G service, expected to be enabled on the new Sprint iPhone this fall.

In a nutshell, I agree you should wait until Fall, the expected release date of the new iPhone, to join Sprint.
    Do some research, see what speeds real world users are reporting in your area:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=2505&tstart=0

And check out Sprint's live network tower upgrade page, searchable by your zip code:

https://network.sprint.com/

10. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Much appreciated guys, especially you snowtrooper1966. I think for now I will do as you and iloveiPhones suggest and wait until a later date. Thanks again guys.

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Glad to help. Sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to give u enough info to make an informed decision regarding Sprint. Like I said, with the way I use my iDevices, I'm not unhappy with my current level of connectivity, and I anticipate it to get better.

I "liked" your last post since u have such a killer avatar :D

12. Buc0727

Buc0727 Member
    Bronze

i got lucky i got my iPhone with verizon when it first came out and got unlimited data and it kicks ass a lot of my co workers got new iPhone 4s like mines and we do all kinds of test and mines is way faster but AT&T r greedy basterds n unlimited data kicks ass so if i was u i would still go to sprint

13. Jogi

Jogi New Member

As far as carriers go. AT&T will have the fastest network. Verizon probably has the best coverage. Sprint has unlimited data. These are generalizations and could be different depending on where you are located. Based on your needs and location there will probably be trade offs for whatever carrier you choose. You can choose the fastest network but have capped data. You can choose the unlimited data plan and not have the best coverage or data speed. You just have to decide which is the best option for you. What is the best option for you could not be the best option for the next guy.

14. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

I have AT&T in Phoenix and my speeds on my iPhone 4 are pretty good here.

ImageUploadedByiCafe1336699956.301887.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe

Attached Files:

15. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

Doesn't the ATT iPhone 4S have 4G? Verizon doesn't, yet. That might make or break a decision.

I have VZW and kept my unlimited plan. So, I love the VZW network.

16. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

Not really 4G but hspa+. But the icon where 3G is actually says 4G

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe