AT&T Stores on Launch Day

Jun 26, 2007
So apparently if you preorder the iPhone at an ATT store, the store will open at 7 AM as opposed to 8 AM for the preorders to get their phone.
I called my local ATT store today about 5 minutes before closing and got a female employee with something far up her butt.
What I got from her conversation was that you have to go in and preorder it in the store, not online.... but I don't know if she was even paying attention to what I was asking.
Anyone do this yet or plan on doing this and know more information than I do?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I ordered online and when I called they told me I cannot pick it up in-store. They also told me it will SHIP on the 19th, not arrive. Sucks!

AbSoluTc

Jun 11, 2009
So apparently if you preorder the iPhone at an ATT store, the store will open at 7 AM as opposed to 8 AM for the preorders to get their phone.
I called my local ATT store today about 5 minutes before closing and got a female employee with something far up her butt.
What I got from her conversation was that you have to go in and preorder it in the store, not online.... but I don't know if she was even paying attention to what I was asking.
Anyone do this yet or plan on doing this and know more information than I do?
I ordered at the store. If you do that, you pick it up there. All the other info you said is correct. Pre-orders are filled before all other walk up customers. Online orders are shipped to your door.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I ordered online and when I called they told me I cannot pick it up in-store. They also told me it will SHIP on the 19th, not arrive. Sucks!
I ordered mine through Apple with free shipping. They sent me an email assuring me it would arrive on the 19th. Even if it doesn't work out that way, it's worth it to avoid the lines.

Jun 26, 2007
I ordered at the store. If you do that, you pick it up there. All the other info you said is correct. Pre-orders are filled before all other walk up customers. Online orders are shipped to your door.

What did they do when you preordered at the store?
Did they just check your eligibility and take a credit card number or what?

And as far as being assured an iPhone on June 19th, this seems like the best way since the store opens 1 hour early to those who preorder.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered mine through Apple with free shipping. They sent me an email assuring me it would arrive on the 19th. Even if it doesn't work out that way, it's worth it to avoid the lines.
The same with me. I feel the same way you do about those lines and crowds. I do plan to visit my Apple Store this Saturday and see if they have any demos of the 3GS, and to purchase a few supplies. Everytime I go to that Apple Store it is packed with people, and I know with this new iPhone it will be even worse.

Lots of info on pre-ordering is here They told me the credit card won't be charged until it ships, and an email would be sent at that time.

They also would not take an order over the phone unless I faxed my Drivers license, my CC front and back and a copy of my cc bill showing the address for the card. That is just too much to ask of a customer for 3 years. But they would happily let me make any changes desired to my account including adding plans and increasing my bill, over the phone. AT&T is out of control.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
AT&T is out of control.
I agree...Companies grow and prosper by giving their customers what they want, they seem to be going in the opposite direction, which will hurt them in the long run.

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
I went to the AT&T store and tried to pre order they tried and it just kept coming up not available for preorder like it was soldout or something they told me they open at 7:00 am on launch day and that I should come in as early as possible to receive my 3gs. Do you guys think there will be lines since this new iPhone isn't quite as innovative as past models. I've never been to an AT&T store on launch day is it similar to black Friday LOl?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
so I just went into the store and placed my order for the32gb 3gs. It came out to be $560 after tax. Took credit card info and got my receipt. They said my cc will be charged when the iPhone ships to the store. And I will deffinetly get it on launch day because they boxes are slapped with the buyers name on it from before. I just have to walk in at 7am launch day and get my iPhone :)

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona

That's assuming FedEx doesn't have any delays (ie weather, mechanical etc). For them most part, they handle a large majority of their shipments.

I ordered mine from AT&T online. I was going to pre order at a store. But found out that i wouldn't have to pay tax.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
That's assuming FedEx doesn't have any delays (ie weather, mechanical etc). For them most part, they handle a large majority of their shipments.

I ordered mine from AT&T online. I was going to pre order at a store. But found out that i wouldn't have to pay tax.
I would think normally FedEx is large enough to handle the order but I hope they have UPS ready just in case there's a problem.

Why don't you have to pay tax?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Sorry I did see that before. I am on an AT&T FAN, but didn't order it from AT&T. Oh well it's not that much more.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I don't think mine would have been that much more if i went to a store. I didn't want to deal with the lines that day. So i'll just be patient and wait for it to arrive the following week.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I pre-ordered by black 32GB 3G S on Tuesday at 7:20pm at the local AT&T store. I had no problems. I requested the upgrade on my wife's line be used to get the $299 price. I paid with a credit card and at 9:19pm that night I got my confirmation email from AT&T. I was told I will get a call when the 3G S has arrived and can pick it up starting at 7am on the 19th. I was also told that the phone is mine and will be waiting for me for up to seven days. I won't have to worry about not getting one since the phone is mine.

Joe

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
I pre-ordered by black 32GB 3G S on Tuesday at 7:20pm at the local AT&T store. I had no problems. I requested the upgrade on my wife's line be used to get the $299 price. I paid with a credit card and at 9:19pm that night I got my confirmation email from AT&T. I was told I will get a call when the 3G S has arrived and can pick it up starting at 7am on the 19th. I was also told that the phone is mine and will be waiting for me for up to seven days. I won't have to worry about not getting one since the phone is mine.

Joe
Thats exactly what I was told on Wednesday when I ordered mine. In addition, I was told that from 7-10 they would only be helping customers that have the preorder. All others will have to wait until after 10 to get any extra phones available.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
I'm in a dilemma about which store to pick it up because I work in the midtown area (closest to the one in Times Square) and I'm sure everyone and their long lost grand mothers (and possibly camera crews)will be there (and the Apple store off of 5th) to get their phone . There is a store closer to my house but I run the risk of being late because of the 1 Train runs local and takes ages to get down there.

Also folks, Im not sure there would be a problem but I got the warning that it is not 100% guarantee the phone will be there.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
I'm not too worried about getting a phone. I doubt this "iDay" will compare to the original. I live in a fairly small West Virginia town and don't think many folks will even want to pony up $200 for a phone with our toilet of an economy. I plan to waltz in that Friday or Saturday and get me and my fiancee our new 3Gs phones:cool:

Jun 26, 2007
Ugh well apparently 17 doesn't cut it for ATT.
Since I am not 18 my dad has to be there both for the preorder and when I pick it up on iDay. So screw that, I guess ill go with Apple delivery since ATT has been sending so many mixed messages on delivery.