AT&T stores still don't know?

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Hi all.. first post. been lurking since jan.. just got off the phone with a local corp store.. they still are telling me that i must be eligible for an upgrade to get the discounted rate, and that full price has yet to be released. even though all the info on the net says otherwise... kinda sad.:p

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Tell them to bookmark their own homepage...

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
At this point it's not worth worrying about. It is kind of funny though.

iphoneCOS

Jun 25, 2007
They are lost or playing you. I have called Apple Stores and AT&T trying to confirm or get extra info on some things and they don't know what is on their own web sites.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
based on that thought alone.. my gut is telling me to go right to an Apple store, and activate in my own home.

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Hi all.. first post. been lurking since jan.. just got off the phone with a local corp store.. they still are telling me that i must be eligible for an upgrade to get the discounted rate, and that full price has yet to be released. even though all the info on the net says otherwise... kinda sad.:p
The training of RSCs (sales reps) started this morning, and will continue tomorrow. The RSCs that don't know, don't because they haven't been personally told.

More conscientious individuals look at their own website for details, but most are concerned with helping the customers that come into stores and getting activations.

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
based on that thought alone.. my gut is telling me to go right to an Apple store, and activate in my own home.
Everyone will be activating in their own home.
RSCs in AT&T stores will be checking credit, discussing plans with customers, and selling iPhones & accessories

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
The training of RSCs (sales reps) started this morning, and will continue tomorrow. The RSCs that don't know, don't because they haven't been personally told.

More conscientious individuals look at their own website for details, but most are concerned with helping the customers that come into stores and getting activations.
This is true. I was at my local AT&T store on Tues.night and the manager was on the phone with corporate getting his iPhone training. The employee that I was talking to was not looking forward to the intensive 2 day training that lay ahead for him and the rest of the staff.

Keep in mind, that this whole process is new for these guys and they can't fall back on their "normal" ways of doing businesss. When I asked the guy if he was aware of the new iPhone plans that were released he said "no".

I do like the idea of home activation because if you remember when you originally signed up for a cell phone plan the wait was at least 30 minutes. "Do you want insurance with that? Ok, let me transfer you to an activation rep. Let me see if we have any stock in the back room...hang on" Etc, etc. What a nightmare!

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
This is true. I was at my local AT&T store on Tues.night and the manager was on the phone with corporate getting his iPhone training. The employee that I was talking to was not looking forward to the intensive 2 day training that lay ahead for him and the rest of the staff.

Keep in mind, that this whole process is new for these guys and they can't fall back on their "normal" ways of doing businesss. When I asked the guy if he was aware of the new iPhone plans that were released he said "no".

I do like the idea of home activation because if you remember when you originally signed up for a cell phone plan the wait was at least 30 minutes. "Do you want insurance with that? Ok, let me transfer you to an activation rep. Let me see if we have any stock in the back room...hang on" Etc, etc. What a nightmare!
activation can be done easily online through iTunes, which needs to be downloaded onto your computer and will have to open an account with your credit card info BEFORE you get the phone. i don't think you need to do it over the phone if you don't want to.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
I forgot that all sales reps still have to be trained and briefed about this new product.. and its new methods.

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
activation can be done easily online through iTunes, which needs to be downloaded onto your computer and will have to open an account with your credit card info BEFORE you get the phone. i don't think you need to do it over the phone if you don't want to.
Yeah, I was referring to the "old" way of getting a new cell phone contract. I think Apple's new method of home activation will be more important than people realize.