AT&T subsidizing iPhone 3G for $325?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Barrons reports on a recent analyst note from Oppenheimer which claims that AT&T is discounting the iPhone by $325 to reach its $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB) prices. This means the actual unsubsidized iPhone cost would be $524 and $624, respectively.

More here---->http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/19/atandt-subsidizing-iphone-3g-for-325/

It seems clear that existing iPhone customers will be able to buy a fully subsidized iPhone 3G, but non ATT subscribers will pay $525! Yikes! Glad I'm an existing ATT user.

wow if this is true thats nutts. I have a strong feeling this is just something to hold us over till they come out with a flip style iPhone. Apple is one of the smartest companies out by far. Its all about keeping the customer on edge and wanting more at the same time. I think i will stick with my aluminum iPhone rather then a plastic one that will be all scratched up im sure. Ill gladly wait till then next model :) I mean come on how many current iPhone owners can say they arent blown away by the current iPhone? I know i can't and ive pretty much had every pda thats been out.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Barrons reports on a recent analyst note from Oppenheimer which claims that AT&T is discounting the iPhone by $325 to reach its $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB) prices. This means the actual unsubsidized iPhone cost would be $524 and $624, respectively.

More here---->http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/19/atandt-subsidizing-iphone-3g-for-325/

It seems clear that existing iPhone customers will be able to buy a fully subsidized iPhone 3G, but non ATT subscribers will pay $525! Yikes! Glad I'm an existing ATT user.
You know, that's really not unreasonable considering we paid $499/$599 with the first version as early adopters.

I bought a Tilt unsubsidized and it was $549.

Not really that bad IMO.

BUT, if I do by it unsubsidized I'll be DAMNED if I sign a 2 year contract. It should be unlocked and no contract at that price. The pricey Nokia and other locked phones are in that price range and they are unlocked, no contract. if I'm gonna spend that kinda money and the iPhone still requires the contract I'd just opt for an unlocked Nokia N95-4. Oh wait..I already bought one of those too.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I hope that it is around that price point - I want iPhone to hold on to its prestige.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Funny, I bought 3 iPhones for $599 each last year! So, your number sounds about right for an unsubsidized iPhone. Last year the iPhone line moved really fast at the stores as all activation occurred at home on iTunes. I assume with all the variations of new/old AT&T services, this line is going to creep?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I hope that it is around that price point - I want iPhone to hold on to its prestige.
blah, I've never understood this prestige thing. The only reason it was that price is because it wasn't subsidized. Look at the unsubsidized prices of all these other phones, they are all about the same. Most Nokia phones are more, like the upcoming N96 and E71. Heck I've bought a Nokia E90 for $800, I don't think the price gave it prestige, but man that puppy was bad ACE.

I wish they would just keep it unsubsidized though and avoid all the freakin confusion and leave the data plans alone. The only reason they raised the data plans was to cover and eventually regain their subsidy. They are just deceiving naive new buyers into thinking the iPhone is cheaper when it's actually *more* expensive.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
blah, I've never understood this prestige thing. The only reason it was that price is because it wasn't subsidized. Look at the unsubsidized prices of all these other phones, they are all about the same. Most Nokia phones are more, like the upcoming N96 and E71. Heck I've bought a Nokia E90 for $800, I don't think the price gave it prestige, but man that puppy was bad ACE.

I wish they would just keep it unsubsidized though and avoid all the freakin confusion and leave the data plans alone. The only reason they raised the data plans was to cover and eventually regain their subsidy. They are just deceiving naive new buyers into thinking the iPhone is cheaper when it's actually *more* expensive.
All I mean by the whole "prestige" thing is I don't want to see everyone everywhere have an iPhone. Call me greedy - but what iPhone owner does?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
All I mean by the whole "prestige" thing is I don't want to see everyone everywhere have an iPhone. Call me greedy - but what iPhone owner does?
I don't think it's too bad of a thing. More people = more feedback = better for the consumers in the long run. Maybe enough people will ***** about things like MMS that Apple will finally cave in.

but yeah I do kinda see what ya mean. for a while it was kinda an exclusive thing to have an iPhone, but even now those days are already long gone.

I

iPhone Forum Blogger

Strategizing by the BigWigs

All of this pre-launch stuff (letting it be known the new version is due July 11, thus creating self-perpetuating buzz etc), is typical of most electronic goods sales...

Perhaps we can call it a necessary evil...

In any case, providing the opportunity for others to preposition themselves makes for a ton of free advertising!

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
wow if this is true thats nutts. I have a strong feeling this is just something to hold us over till they come out with a flip style iPhone. Apple is one of the smartest companies out by far. Its all about keeping the customer on edge and wanting more at the same time. I think i will stick with my aluminum iPhone rather then a plastic one that will be all scratched up im sure. Ill gladly wait till then next model :) I mean come on how many current iPhone owners can say they arent blown away by the current iPhone? I know i can't and ive pretty much had every pda thats been out.
Well they arent acting very smart right now!

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
FIX:

Ad another line to existing account, get discounted price.....

Cancel old number the next day and pay the cancel fee.... ($200 for 2 yrs still in, $175 for 1 1/2 years still in, $100 for 1 year still in, etc, etc)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

New AT&T customers will get the subsidized price. The only people that won't qualify for the subsidized price, will be the AT&T customers that don't have an iPhone data plan and don't qualify for a discounted upgrade price.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I also liked when the iPhone was new and exclusive
but i wish i didn't think in that way
it is very materialistic and immature
who cares if everyone has what you have
as long as you are happy with what you have

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I also liked when the iPhone was new and exclusive
but i wish i didn't think in that way
it is very materialistic and immature
who cares if everyone has what you have
as long as you are happy with what you have
Well right now it would be best for the iPhone to continue to grow in popularity to help protect all of our investments. If a lower price helps it compete with BB, then that's what they need to do.