AT&T suspends free WiFi to iPhone owners

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Bummed out! The news just fell that ATT has suspended their free wifi offer for all iPhone users. Oh well, I don't go to starbucks anyways.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
me neither.

in fact...

every

single

place

on that list i NEVER go to.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
It's awful, I go to both Starbucks and Barnes and Noble frequently. It's all about the money. :(
I was at the airport the other day to pick someone up and had 30 min. to kill and even the airport (T-mobile) charges for wifi. Thank God for jailbreak games.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Seriously, we need to start putting out foot(s) down and refusing to pay the price. For several things. Supply and demand...let's demand less, or not at all.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Seriously, we need to start putting out foot(s) down and refusing to pay the price. For several things. Supply and demand...let's demand less, or not at all.
agree.. food prices = eat less

gas prices= drive less

internet wifi= use edge

condom prices = unprotected sex

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Tony - LOL - good strategy

Most of the reports I've seen on the AT&T free WiFi stuff are guessing this has not been 'taken away'. It was never officially launched / announced by AT&T - it was just one of those things where word got out on the web about it.

The consensus speculation and hope seems to be that AT&T have been testing this and that rollout of it will be in stages - so we should still be seeing this soon ...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Tony - LOL - good strategy

Most of the reports I've seen on the AT&T free WiFi stuff are guessing this has not been 'taken away'. It was never officially launched / announced by AT&T - it was just one of those things where word got out on the web about it.

The consensus speculation and hope seems to be that AT&T have been testing this and that rollout of it will be in stages - so we should still be seeing this soon ...
I posted an article saying the same thing in another thread yesterday. Looks like rumors got ahead of the game and this thing is still a go.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
This is weird. In the UK we have free The Cloud wifi (which you seem to find all over the place) with the iPhone contract, and normally we get crappy everything technology-wise...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is weird. In the UK we have free The Cloud wifi (which you seem to find all over the place) with the iPhone contract, and normally we get crappy everything technology-wise...
Sounds like AT&T is looking to mimic The Cloud sort of arrangement, which would be very nice.

And yeah, we've talked before about how this is rare for the UK to get better deal on new tech - but then again you *always* get much better beer :)

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Well, I don't know too much about American beer (or English beer, being 14) but I think I'll take your word for it. :D Still, I gather you're in the UK as well then...?
I don't know too much about The Cloud either, being on vodafone, but coverage is really good. It is a great service, but it would be way harder rolling it or anything similar out all across the US due to it being vast, so I suppose its understandable really.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well, I don't know too much about American beer (or English beer, being 14) but I think I'll take your word for it. :D Still, I gather you're in the UK as well then...?
I don't know too much about The Cloud either, being on vodafone, but coverage is really good. It is a great service, but it would be way harder rolling it or anything similar out all across the US due to it being vast, so I suppose its understandable really.
14 - wow, true - you should not be any sort of beer expert as yet :) Trust me though, UK pubs and beers are *much*, much better ...

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Yup, never touch the stuff. I didn't even think they had pubs in America... To be honest I didn't even think Americans drank beer, but its always good to know we have something better than the yanks :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I didn't even think they had pubs in America... To be honest I didn't even think Americans drank beer, but its always good to know we have something better than the yanks :D
lol you have a lot better than us, but come on, give us our pubs and our beer. We love it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Funny, I actually can get most of those on tap within 10 miles of my house.