AT&T to Begin Charging Next Customers $15 to Activate New Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Europa, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Along with many others, I've had good luck getting the activation fee waived on my new iPhone's with AT&T, at least before Next came about. My next iPhone will likely be a Next device. I want to say "eh, it's only $15." On the other hand, "hey, that's $15 more dollars!" Probably not going to be waived as easily.

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I tweeted about this yesterday. I feel it is another way for the likes of AT&T, to get even more money. Trust me, I understand that they are running a business, but, at the same time, if I don't "activate" my device\line, I can't use your service(s), thus you don't get a monthly fee from me.

If AT&T wasn't one of those carriers that typically offered\sold newer devices, I would more than likely move to another carrier. Then again, I'm sure they are all virtually the same, no?

Alas, this is just my opinion.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not that much money, but it was nice being able to say you can get the phone with nothing upfront except taxes. It's a matter of principle. Their customers already pay full cost to keep a Next phone or return the phone to AT&T if they don't make every payment. Charging activation fees on those devices appears greedy.

But yeah, I've had good luck getting it waived every year as well. Guess we'll soon find out if it still works! I'm going to use Next for my 6s.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'd like to hear their justification for activation fees. Does it cover the labor to configure a new device? Somehow I doubt it's such a manual process.

MAYBE there's a good reason why they need to do this, I'm just having a hard time imagining what that could be.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The AT&T employees have to make sure your line is hooked up and that you have a strong signal. They actually have a whole department that does nothing but this all day… :D

Telephone-Operators.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List