• Bad news!

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Oh Well.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
Courtesy MSN Money:

Consumers hungry for a little good news will be happy to hear of a price that's going down.

AT&T (T, news, msgs), the exclusive U.S. carrier for Apple's (AAPL, news, msgs) iPhone, is reportedly going to lower the price of the newest 3G iPhone by $200 to $199, according to Fortune magazine. The price cut is a move to attract people who haven't yet been willing to pay hundreds of dollars for the all-in-one wireless phone.
The $200 discount would likely apply only to purchases through AT&T, the magazine reported, and not through Apple stores.
The newest version of the phone is expected to hit shelves in late June, a year after the iPhone was introduced.

So how will current owners react to this? I'm not liking this announcement at all so far.

:mad:

-D

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure it would only be for people applying for new service or the people that are in need of an extension to their contract that are within the certain time period. Either way I cannot see Apple being too pleased about this.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
This sounds too ridiculous to be true. So they went from 600 to 400 to 200? If we wait a few more months I'm sure they'll give it for free with a new contract. :rolleyes:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Although I wouldn't argue against a lower price, the big issue here is that subsidized iPhones will most surely lock you into that particular device version for two years before you can again buy the newer iPhone at reasonable prices.

I don't want to see the unsubsidized price get higher than today's unsubsidized prices. Technology changes faster than the carrier's 2-year straitjacket. This has been the common practice with carriers for years. If I want to upgrade my iPhone, I don't mind incurring a contract extension, but I do mind having to pay a markup because I didn't wait for AT&T's version of "New Every Two".

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
Seems to me that AT&T is feeling the pinch right now since you can just walk into Apple and buy your phone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The $200 rebate or subsidy would be limited to AT&T customers and not available through Apple’s stores. The new iPhone sold by AT&T will likely be locked or programmed so buyers can’t take the cheaper iPhone to another phone service.

This is a quote from Fortune from a similar article.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well the iPhones they're selling now are locked as well, but easily unlockable. I wonder if they're thinking they can put some software into the phone or something that will prevent that in the future. I find it pretty unlikely given the talents of the current hackers.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I generally agree, but the word programmed has me baffled. Not really sure what that means.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah that's really odd. You would think Apple would be able to "program" the phones better than AT&T would. It should be interesting to see how Apple reacts though.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
It's too bad that the Apple store won't give us the same deal. If they did, I would finally have a reason to spend that $100 GC I got last year and get a new iPhone for a hundred bucks.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I hope this is true I think this is the best phone ever made, ever .. That is what I think.. With the price drop everyone can get it and everyone should.. Its a good phone the more the better..

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I really wouldn't get my hopes up. It would seem to be a smart move, but still an unlikely one, in my estimation.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yep. definitely callin shenanigans.

although, to answer the OP, i don't see how this could be construed BAD news.

mori

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
well my question would be,, is can i get the iPhone with the discount once it comes out, even thou iam an ATT member and i already have an iPhone?

if the answer its no then i really could give 2 craps about how much the new iPhone will cost

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I thought Apple was setting the prices on the phones....if the price drop is true why would you ever buy from Apple at least as new subscriber

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I kind of think its bs, honestly they sell crappier phones for close to $200 with a 2 year contract at AT&T why would they be dumb and basically give them away.

The Tilt is $299 on a two year contract and thats with a $100 mail in rebate, the Blackberry 8820 is also $299 with two year contract after the $100 rebate.

H*ll a motorola V9 is $199 for a two year contract.

Maybe just maybe I could see them letting it go for $299 but definitely not $199.

Personally I hope they don't do it that just drops the value of this one when I sell it lol.