AT&T to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Workoutninja, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Workoutninja

Workoutninja Member
    Bronze

Does anyone know if you can take a 5s from ATT and use for Tmobile?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Only if it's unlocked. AT&T will unlock it for you if you paid full cost for it. If they subsidized it you have to wait until the contract is fulfilled before AT&T will unlock it. There was a short period (the second half of 2012) where it was easy to get phones permanently unlocked for about $5 on eBay, but a law was passed in January 2013 in the US that made it illegal for owners to privately unlock their phones if they were purchased after January 26th. There currently are no other methods for unlocking a 5s.

3. Workoutninja

Workoutninja Member
    Bronze

Copy that. Thank you.

Sent using iCafe app

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'm sure that what you meant to say was, are no other legal methods for unlocking a 5S.

Sent using iCafe app in my AirPad

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's true - I guess you might be able to find a vendor on eBay or somewhere else willing to do an IMEI unlock regardless of the legality. I'm not aware of any other methods for an AT&T 5s, though. Are you?

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

No, I am not.

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I heard there is a block now and it's not possible at this time for any AT&T phone updated on iOS 7

8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Where there's a will, there's a way.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

No for the 4S, i just had a friend who got the iPhone 5s and requested to AT&T to have unlock his 4s. I helped him to transfer all his notes messages etc to the new ip5s and was so happy with the results that let me have his old 4s. It worked out really well, this is what am using now to write this in South America : )

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T unlocks phones on iOS 7 as long as they are not under contract. They unlocked my 5s since they didn't subsidize it.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

But if your goal is to leave ATT, you will have to pay an ETF, which should release you from your contract. And if you're released from the contract, they should be able to unlock it, right?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right. But that's not the only instance for wanting it unlocked. Some people just want to trade phones and get an Android (giving the 5s to someone on T-mobile) or buy an AT&T 5s to use on their T-Mobile account.

13. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I was on a chat log with ATT the other day. I asked them if they could unlock my iPhone 5 because I wanted to use a SIM overseas in Europe when traveling. The only way I can do this is if I pay the ETF which has amortized down to $175 at this point. The other reason I wanted it unlocked was to test the TMobile network in areas I frequent most (NY Metro & Fort Lauderdale Metro). There is a prepaid plan that TMobile has that is $30 complete. It gives you 5GB of data at LTE and throttles you after that, unlimited text, AND only 100 minutes. I really want to give it a go and see if it will work for me. I'm willing to payoff my contract to do this. In the event it does not work out I'll merely go back with ATT on their prepaid plan which is considerably less than post paid.