AT&T U-Verse

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Finally just got AT&T U-Verse completely installed yesterday & got the 12mb/s internet package & TV service. Signal is through fiber optic lines. So Far, it is awesome. Cheaper than Comcast & has loads more features.

Here's the speeds I'm getting:

There's also an app in the Appstore called AT&T Mobile Remote Access that let's me access the guide & schedule recordings on my DVR right from my iPhone:

Anybody have this service? If so, what are your experiences with it?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Hey Yancy, I'm not familiar with U-Verse. What is it? I'm thinking it's just an internet/tv service package delivered via fiber optic? Anything else of significance?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Hey Yancy, I'm not familiar with U-Verse. What is it? I'm thinking it's just an internet/tv service package delivered via fiber optic? Anything else of significance?
They also offer voice service with their TV & internet service. Here's video on it's features.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Finally someone else to chat about on EIC with U-Verse.

I have the 450package, tv/internet/phone. HD channels. I've had it for about 3months now.

Its really great, signal never goes out when it rains (unlike direct-tv) its worlds cheaper than paying for At&t's fast access DSL, phone and then paying direct-tv for tv.

ZR, I enjoy that i can record something then watch a different channel as well as my parents can record things they want and so can I. (that whole record up to 4 shows at once)

The HD channels are crisp and clear good sound and picture.

The on demand is the best, because say i missed an episode of TrueBlood, Entourage, Weeds etc i can just go to HBO or Showtime On-Demand and the latest episode is already there ready to watch whenever i want in HD.

The only thing i cant stand about u-Verse is that if you want to record something you can only do it from the DVR. Ill be watching something in my room and i wana record it so then i have to walk all the way to the entertainment room where the dvr is and make it record.

Another annoyance is that when the u-verse receiver is on standby and your about to go to bed, the LED lights from the receiver are bright. This is just a personal thing for me since i cant fall asleep with a tiny bright light or LED on. My macbook Pro's standby light, and when the mag chargerlight goes green can wake me up sometimes or keep me from falling asleep. I normally just throw a pillow ontop of the macbook heh.

Whats your experience with the iPhone app? I've always wanted to know if its worth getting.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Finally just got AT&T U-Verse completely installed yesterday & got the 12mb/s internet package & TV service. Signal is through fiber optic lines. So Far, it is awesome. Cheaper than Comcast & has loads more features.
Anybody have this service? If so, what are your experiences with it?

I looked into this service and so far, it's not any better than what I am getting from comcast, with the exception of the DVR, which I opted not to get.
I have the Expanded basic TV package, and that's all the channels, minus Premium Channels, but includes Encore.
Internet is 6 Mbps, which I can upgrade to 12 for about the same price as U-verse, $55 a month.

So far the only thing I have seen that Comcast doesn't have that I would like is Anime on Demand.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Finally someone else to chat about on EIC with U-Verse.

I have the 450package, tv/internet/phone. HD channels. I've had it for about 3months now.

Its really great, signal never goes out when it rains (unlike direct-tv) its worlds cheaper than paying for At&t's fast access DSL, phone and then paying direct-tv for tv.

ZR, I enjoy that i can record something then watch a different channel as well as my parents can record things they want and so can I. (that whole record up to 4 shows at once)

The HD channels are crisp and clear good sound and picture.

The on demand is the best, because say i missed an episode of TrueBlood, Entourage, Weeds etc i can just go to HBO or Showtime On-Demand and the latest episode is already there ready to watch whenever i want in HD.

The only thing i cant stand about u-Verse is that if you want to record something you can only do it from the DVR. Ill be watching something in my room and i wana record it so then i have to walk all the way to the entertainment room where the dvr is and make it record.

Another annoyance is that when the u-verse receiver is on standby and your about to go to bed, the LED lights from the receiver are bright. This is just a personal thing for me since i cant fall asleep with a tiny bright light or LED on. My macbook Pro's standby light, and when the mag chargerlight goes green can wake me up sometimes or keep me from falling asleep. I normally just throw a pillow ontop of the macbook heh.

Whats your experience with the iPhone app? I've always wanted to know if its worth getting.
The app is worth getting because it's free & it works great. You can schedule to record a show or a series of shows right from your iPhone with the app. You can also delete recorded shows, cancel series recordings, etc. You won't have to leave your room anymore.

You're right about the LED on the box. My GF complained about it the first night. :(

Here are screenshots of some of the DVR controls in the app.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I looked into this service and so far, it's not any better than what I am getting from comcast, with the exception of the DVR, which I opted not to get.
I have the Expanded basic TV package, and that's all the channels, minus Premium Channels, but includes Encore.
Internet is 6 Mbps, which I can upgrade to 12 for about the same price as U-verse, $55 a month.

So far the only thing I have seen that Comcast doesn't have that I would like is Anime on Demand.
We were paying about $150/month with Comcast for less channels & slower internet speeds so switching for us was a no brainer. Also getting $325 cash back.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Unfortunately, I won't be leaving DirecTV until NFL Sunday Ticket is available through another source.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
On Demand makes it worth it. U-Verse is just cheaper, im guessing because AT&T wants to be competitive but the service is really great.

Zr thanks, im going to try the app out today. Can i schedule things to record from anywhere in the world?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Can i schedule things to record from anywhere in the world?
As long as you have internet on your phone, your good.

You can also access the guide & schedule recordings on their website from any computer. Just go to att.net & access your account. Once in your att/yahoo account, scroll down to the U-verse section & select the Web Remote Access link.

Mo Lester

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Great info, i cant stand comcast, gonna check this out for my area

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Unfortunately, I won't be leaving DirecTV until NFL Sunday Ticket is available through another source.
I love NFL Sunday Ticket. Though, it does irk me a bit that it used to include all games in SD and HD until they started charging extra to see the games in HD. Pretty low if you ask me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Comcast is STILL the only choice in my area. It's so frustrating that the FIOS rollout is taking forever, and no Uverse. This is Philafreakingdelphia, folks, get your thumbs out and make this happen!

Argh.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have no high-speed access here in a suburb if St Louis. People a few miles in either direction do, but not us. We are reduced to using a sprint aircard.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
i have no high-speed access here in a suburb if St Louis. People a few miles in either direction do, but not us. We are reduced to using a sprint aircard.
Really!? That's unbelievable. I remember checking every single day to see if high speed was available in my area and was so excited the day it finally said it was.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I love NFL Sunday Ticket. Though, it does irk me a bit that it used to include all games in SD and HD until they started charging extra to see the games in HD. Pretty low if you ask me.
Yeah, it's a monopoly without any doubt.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You would think in a big city like L.A. I could get either FiOS or U-verse. I live in a very large metropolitan area of Los Angeles serviced by Verizon. But Noooooooooooo...they don't have my neighborhood serviced yet.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I have Broadstripe for cable and internet. Much happier with this than when I had Comcast living in town.