AT&T Unlimited Data & iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by shakedotazz, Sep 12, 2012.

1. shakedotazz

shakedotazz Member
    Bronze

Has anything been said about what will happen to grandfathered AT&T data plans when we upgrade to the new iPhone? Will we lose the unlimited data?

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

If you get the new iPhone through AT&T at a discount, you will have to renew your contract. Therefore, you will have to get a new plan and lose your grandfathered in plan.

3. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I asked this yesterday at the AT&T store and was told I'd be able to keep my unlimited plan. When I got my iPhone 4 I was able to be grandfathered in with my unlimited data also.

Sent from my iCafe using iPhone app

4. shakedotazz

shakedotazz Member
    Bronze

Girdler, I still have my super old 'talk' plan that does not get changed whenever my contract is renewed... I doubt a contract renewal will force us out of unlimited data... I'm more concerned about my unlimited data not having LTE and the new phone is anticipated to have it... maybe they'll use that to force us out of the grandfathered data plan?

Terry, I like that answer better. :)

thank you both

5. djkeev

djkeev Member
    Bronze

I've upgraded phones on AT&T four times and haven't ever had to "update" my contract except to add data when I got my first iPhone.
    If they are gong to force out unlimited with new phone activations, I'll keep my 4s for a mighty long time!

Dave

6. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Lol Totally not true.

7. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

You will have to change the plan if it's something they no longer over(ie unlimited data).

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

9. shakedotazz

shakedotazz Member
    Bronze

10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I almost forgot that with 4G LTE you get throttled at 5GB instead of 3.

11. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

I can more than endorse that unless there is any big sudden change, non-issue. I've had the unlimited plan since launch day 2007. Been grandfathered in since things changed and I have owned every iPhone model, renewing my contract every time with no issue.

12. Jill1228

Jill1228 Member
    Bronze

13. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Staying Grandfathered is really important now that the iPhone 5 has LTE. To me that sounds like a hungry data monster.

Data plans are the same as voice plans. If you don't opt to make changes, then they don't go anywhere. (ppl w/old as hell voice plans that don't exist anymore can vouch for this)