AT&T Unlimited Data & iPhone 5?

shakedotazz

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Has anything been said about what will happen to grandfathered AT&T data plans when we upgrade to the new iPhone? Will we lose the unlimited data?

Girdler

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2012
If you get the new iPhone through AT&T at a discount, you will have to renew your contract. Therefore, you will have to get a new plan and lose your grandfathered in plan.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I asked this yesterday at the AT&T store and was told I'd be able to keep my unlimited plan. When I got my iPhone 4 I was able to be grandfathered in with my unlimited data also.

Sent from my iCafe using iPhone app

shakedotazz

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Girdler, I still have my super old 'talk' plan that does not get changed whenever my contract is renewed... I doubt a contract renewal will force us out of unlimited data... I'm more concerned about my unlimited data not having LTE and the new phone is anticipated to have it... maybe they'll use that to force us out of the grandfathered data plan?

Terry, I like that answer better. :)

thank you both

djkeev

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I've upgraded phones on AT&T four times and haven't ever had to "update" my contract except to add data when I got my first iPhone.
If they are gong to force out unlimited with new phone activations, I'll keep my 4s for a mighty long time!

Dave

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
If you get the new iPhone through AT&T at a discount, you will have to renew your contract. Therefore, you will have to get a new plan and lose your grandfathered in plan.
Lol Totally not true.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I almost forgot that with 4G LTE you get throttled at 5GB instead of 3.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I can more than endorse that unless there is any big sudden change, non-issue. I've had the unlimited plan since launch day 2007. Been grandfathered in since things changed and I have owned every iPhone model, renewing my contract every time with no issue.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Staying Grandfathered is really important now that the iPhone 5 has LTE. To me that sounds like a hungry data monster.

Data plans are the same as voice plans. If you don't opt to make changes, then they don't go anywhere. (ppl w/old as hell voice plans that don't exist anymore can vouch for this)