AT&T Unlimited disappointment again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
First they throttle my use cause I have the unlimited plan.

Now I find out that my new iPhone 5 does FaceTime ONLY on wifi unless I change my plan.. DOESN'T WORK ON THE UNLIMITED PLAN. Can't see giving up unlimited for FaceTime.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i have to agree. this whole throttling thing s***s. what good is unltd data if takes you too much time to get things done and sometimes you can't even watch a youtube video without buffering. for me time is money i don't have that much time on this planet earth and for me to be waiting so long to get from point A to point B. it makes sense just to pay the few extra dlls and get excellent speeds all the time. money can be replaced time can't. so i pay extra to make sure my data runs at top levels.
now if time is not an issue for you and you really must have unltd data i would go with sprint. atleast for now they are the ones who don't mess with there unltd data plans as much as others. for sprint to throttle you really have to do a ton of data.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
So is this why I'm having so much trouble finding my Face Time icon like I used to see it? I just wanted to play around with it, but I can't find it on my iPhone 5. I see it on my iPad (3) but not on my iPhone 5.

Do I have to be connected to WiFi to see the Face Time icon and use it? I thought I could at least see it and not use it. Is there a setting I don't have set up?

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
So is this why I'm having so much trouble finding my Face Time icon like I used to see it? I just wanted to play around with it, but I can't find it on my iPhone 5. I see it on my iPad (3) but not on my iPhone 5.

Do I have to be connected to WiFi to see the Face Time icon and use it? I thought I could at least see it and not use it. Is there a setting I don't have set up?
The FaceTime icon was removed apparently w/the last refresh. On the i5 There's an icon when you make a call to FaceTime once you connect the call. As well as going through your contacts you can also choose the button to FaceTime on the contact info screen.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
The FaceTime icon was removed apparently w/the last refresh. On the i5 There's an icon when you make a call to FaceTime once you connect the call. As well as going through your contacts you can also choose the button to FaceTime on the contact info screen.
Okay. I thought I read something about the icon being removed. I figured I should have it in my Contacts, but I don't. I just looked under a name of a person who has an iPhone as well and there is no icon for Face Time available.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
This throttling is bananas.

I get a few days of decent speed in the middle of the month (usually 15th-18th) but then I'm screwed, and everything goes back to dialup speeds. They even throttle EDGE. I mean, seriously. EDGE. As if you could get any faster than 200kbps to start with.

I am itching like crazy for an unlocked iPhone 5. That, and for T-mobile to refarm the 1900 band.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Okay. I thought I read something about the icon being removed. I figured I should have it in my Contacts, but I don't. I just looked under a name of a person who has an iPhone as well and there is no icon for Face Time available.
If your on iOS 6 there should be a button on the very bottom of the info screen that should allow you to select FaceTime (given they have an iPhone that is compatible)

Attachments

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Wow, I haven't even encountered this yet. Shows how much I care about FaceTime, LOL... ;)

I just checked, by the way. My FaceTime button is where it always was... just like Booyow1204 indicated above.

xman are you using > 5 GB/month? I believe you should only get throttled if you go over 5 GB, assuming you are making use of LTE.

I may have read something about this 5GB limit applying to all iPhone 5 owners, even if they don't or can't use LTE, but I can't recall for sure. Was it Bennyboy who said that? Ben?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I switched to the plan
I pay the same as before and I probably could go down a plan (I see what the usage is for the next few month)
I did for FT and because hubby was needing more data. He only had the $15 plan. I was not using my data, what I had the $45 tether plan I paid way more for what I used. Son had unlimited.
S0 now we pay the same and have GB left over and got FT and Hotspots

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I plan on using 3G Unrestrictor for FaceTime on cellular as soon as the iPhone 5 jailbreak is out. It worked great on my 4 and 4S.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Do you get a notification when throttling begins? I have unlimited but never noticed being throttled.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app
If you're with AT&T you can dial *DATA# & you will get a text with your current data usage for that billing cycle.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do you get a notification when throttling begins? I have unlimited but never noticed being throttled.
Yeah, you should get one of these as you're getting near the soft-cap, which is 5 GB on the iPhone 5.

ATT-throttling-1.6GB.jpeg

I'm curious to see if it will work the same.
As long as the developer can update it for 6.x, it should work fine. I don't think AT&T can detect its usage.