AT&T Unlimited disappointment again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. xman

xman Member
    Bronze

First they throttle my use cause I have the unlimited plan.

Now I find out that my new iPhone 5 does FaceTime ONLY on wifi unless I change my plan.. DOESN'T WORK ON THE UNLIMITED PLAN. Can't see giving up unlimited for FaceTime.

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Agreed! I wouldn't either!

3. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i have to agree. this whole throttling thing s***s. what good is unltd data if takes you too much time to get things done and sometimes you can't even watch a youtube video without buffering. for me time is money i don't have that much time on this planet earth and for me to be waiting so long to get from point A to point B. it makes sense just to pay the few extra dlls and get excellent speeds all the time. money can be replaced time can't. so i pay extra to make sure my data runs at top levels.
    now if time is not an issue for you and you really must have unltd data i would go with sprint. atleast for now they are the ones who don't mess with there unltd data plans as much as others. for sprint to throttle you really have to do a ton of data.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Cellular businesss went from a "talk time" industry to a "data" industry... that's what it is.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

So is this why I'm having so much trouble finding my Face Time icon like I used to see it? I just wanted to play around with it, but I can't find it on my iPhone 5. I see it on my iPad (3) but not on my iPhone 5.

Do I have to be connected to WiFi to see the Face Time icon and use it? I thought I could at least see it and not use it. Is there a setting I don't have set up?

6. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

The FaceTime icon was removed apparently w/the last refresh. On the i5 There's an icon when you make a call to FaceTime once you connect the call. As well as going through your contacts you can also choose the button to FaceTime on the contact info screen.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Okay. I thought I read something about the icon being removed. I figured I should have it in my Contacts, but I don't. I just looked under a name of a person who has an iPhone as well and there is no icon for Face Time available.

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

This throttling is bananas.

I get a few days of decent speed in the middle of the month (usually 15th-18th) but then I'm screwed, and everything goes back to dialup speeds. They even throttle EDGE. I mean, seriously. EDGE. As if you could get any faster than 200kbps to start with.

I am itching like crazy for an unlocked iPhone 5. That, and for T-mobile to refarm the 1900 band.

9. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

If your on iOS 6 there should be a button on the very bottom of the info screen that should allow you to select FaceTime (given they have an iPhone that is compatible)

Attached Files:

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wow, I haven't even encountered this yet. Shows how much I care about FaceTime, LOL... ;)

I just checked, by the way. My FaceTime button is where it always was... just like Booyow1204 indicated above.

xman are you using > 5 GB/month? I believe you should only get throttled if you go over 5 GB, assuming you are making use of LTE.

I may have read something about this 5GB limit applying to all iPhone 5 owners, even if they don't or can't use LTE, but I can't recall for sure. Was it Bennyboy who said that? Ben?

11. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The 5GB should apply to all iPhone 5 owners & all "true" 4G AT&T phones.

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I switched to the plan
    I pay the same as before and I probably could go down a plan (I see what the usage is for the next few month)
    I did for FT and because hubby was needing more data. He only had the $15 plan. I was not using my data, what I had the $45 tether plan I paid way more for what I used. Son had unlimited.
    S0 now we pay the same and have GB left over and got FT and Hotspots

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks for clearing that up... I tagged Bennyboy 7 minutes ago and he has yet to reply :mad:

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I plan on using 3G Unrestrictor for FaceTime on cellular as soon as the iPhone 5 jailbreak is out. It worked great on my 4 and 4S.

15. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Do you get a notification when throttling begins? I have unlimited but never noticed being throttled.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

16. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I'm curious to see if it will work the same.

17. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

If you're with AT&T you can dial *DATA# & you will get a text with your current data usage for that billing cycle.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you should get one of these as you're getting near the soft-cap, which is 5 GB on the iPhone 5.

ATT-throttling-1.6GB.jpeg

As long as the developer can update it for 6.x, it should work fine. I don't think AT&T can detect its usage.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Unlimited data never truly existed, and it never truly will. The sooner you accept this reality, the happier you will be.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yoda.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List