AT&T unlimited plan - Did you get throttled?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Looking at the new Shareplan and evaluating my options I found that son on unlimited
NEVER got throttled. He always goes over 3GB. He used way over 6GB last month.
He' got better speeds on his 4 then me on my 4s (how is that anyway?)
I wonder if it is a glitch and once we get new phones it will stop ?

Some info from AT&T on unlimted data plans etc.
http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
I finally got throttled last month I've always gone over my 3 gigs but last month was the first time for me. The throttled speeds are super slow

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

SMELTN

Bronze
Feb 15, 2010
I seem to go over every month now myself, and I got a text 2 months ago. After that, I no longer get a text but am throttled to death every month.

wow I just looked. I used 4200 this past month.

rangers85

Jul 13, 2010
I'm looking at doing the 6 GB shared with my wife. I typically go over to the throttle point but she doesn't. Plus it'll work out to about $20 cheaper than currently. May bump up to next level just to avoid potential overage. Especially with my company I work for getting a 18% discount on AT&T.

paintdude258

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I use my iPhone every day, all the time i feel like, but i have never been throttled. I am on wifi at school and home a lot, so could that be the reason that i am not getting throttled? Because i am not actually using 3G? I am definitely not looking forward to the day that i do receive that text message though. No Bueno!

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I received a text message from AT&T last month saying I went over and I was going to be throttled. But it was close to the end of the month or my billing cycle and it reset. So I didn't notice any slower speeds. But that was the first time I received the text message.

rangers85

Jul 13, 2010
I've now received the text two straight months. I'm planning to switch to the shared plan with my wife when AT&T releases them. Thankfully both were around the last day of my billing cycle but I've used my phone at work a lot less the last few months. Wish I could connect my phone to the corporate wifi.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
they often do throttle your unlimited data plans once they see you are over doing it. sometimes it's just better to buy the data and your data speeds will always be running at tip top levels.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
they often do throttle your unlimited data plans once they see you are over doing it. sometimes it's just better to buy the data and your data speeds will always be running at tip top levels.
Absolutely not. AT&T offered unlimited plans. They should continue to honor them. I can't believe people just give in to a big corporation like that arbitrarily changing the meaning of the word unlimited because it's more convenient and a bigger moneymaker for them. I'll never go away quietly.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Absolutely not. AT&T offered unlimited plans. They should continue to honor them. I can't believe people just give in to a big corporation like that arbitrarily changing the meaning of the word unlimited because it's more convenient and a bigger moneymaker for them. I'll never go away quietly.
Absolutely... we should have a kiss your iPhone day outside of all the AT&T stores.

or we could file a class-action lawsuit... either way.

DCronkhite

Bronze
May 30, 2008
I signed up for the Unlimited Data plan. I didn't sign up for the "Unlimited Data Unless We Feel You're Using Too Much" plan. AT&T should be raked over the coals for throttling people on unlimited plans, but too many people either don't know how to go about fighting their case, or just don't care.

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
I'm being throttled right now. It seems that lately I'm going through my 3 gigs faster than I've ever been. Before I've never gone over 2 gigs a month and nothing I do has changed and now I'm getting throttled everything month since May

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I signed up for the Unlimited Data plan. I didn't sign up for the "Unlimited Data Unless We Feel You're Using Too Much" plan. AT&T should be raked over the coals for throttling people on unlimited plans, but too many people either don't know how to go about fighting their case, or just don't care.
you do have the "Unlimited Data plan" we/att never gave you a guarantee as far as how fast it was going to be lol...

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I get throttled every month for about 4-5 days and I absolutely love the crawling speed, it makes me go down memory lane into the first days of the iPhone. Who doesn't want that?!