AT&T unlocked my in contract iPhone 6 ... have a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by iErik, Jan 19, 2015.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

**edit** It appears At&t is handing out unlocks like candy to subsidized in-contract or unpaid-off Next plan iPhones. Not sure if this is a system error or new policy but go get your unlock while you can!

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Hi folks. I was reading on another forum that At&t might have gotten a little lax with their unlocks so I submitted a request just to see what would happen. I don't really need an unlocked phone but it will make it more valuable when it's time to sell it next year. Anyways, At&t did indeed unlock my iPhone 6. Cool!

My questions are .... If I were to need a warranty replacement sometime between now and when the next iPhones come out, will the replacement from Apple be unlocked since At&t issued an official unlock?

and ...

Do I really need to go through the PITA process of restoring in iTunes to activate the unlock? When I got the unlock confirmation email I threw in a friend's Verizon sim and it seemed have an LTE signal but it wanted me to go through the activation process.

Thanks!

#1 iErik, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

First question, no, if you had to replace the phone you'd have to go through the process all over again. Second question, yes you must restore for the unlock to apply.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. The unlock is specific to that device. You cannot transfer it to another device. You will need to apply again if you get a new iPhone.
    2. It should work without restoring as long as you have an active SIM card from another carrier. You have to restore if you don't have access to one. Put your friend's Verizon SIM card back in your phone and allow it to activate this time. If you get an error, you will have to put your SIM back in and restore.

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, guys. That clears it up for me :)

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's also food for thought for the rest of us. I'll have to try what you did and see if I get lucky :)

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Very true. It doesn't hurt to try. Some people said they had to submit two or three times before they got granted an unlock so you may so it might take a few days of trying. Like I said, I don't really need the unlock but at least it'll make my phone more valuable for resale in September.

7. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421714921.772365.jpg

I got bored this afternoon. :)

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

So did I, well, this evening. :D

I sent the request and a couple minutes later it was approved.

unlocked.jpg

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is this the standard "success" message?

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

I don't want to get a human involved unless there's no other option.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's it. A couple months ago, AT&T wouldn't approve it. I just tried again on a whim, not really expecting a different answer.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

All right, success indeed!

unlocked Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 9.59.10 PM.png (thumbnail)

My iPhone just became more valuable :)

Must be either a recent policy change or their system is messing up… letting us unlock a handset that was purchased just a little over three months ago.

12. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I can't believe you guys got responses so quickly. Mine took five days! Glad it's working out for people.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

OP, thanks for the heads up! I unlocked my 6+ this am!

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just verified that you do not have to restore to apply an AT&T IMEI unlock as long as you have access to a SIM card from another carrier. I used my prepaid T-Mobile SIM from my backup phone to activate. I applied for the unlock late last night and got approved this morning. I put the T-Mobile SIM card in logged into iCloud and hit activate. It only took a few seconds. Restoring is a hassle when you're jailbroken so I'm glad this worked. You can use a friend's SIM card if you want.

image.jpg

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the update and correction, I'll borrow my niece's T-Mobile sim later and apply my unlock!

16. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I submitted an unlock request for my partner's iPhone last night and it was granted this morning. This has got to be some sort of error in their system. They've never been this generous before!

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They seem to be approving them within minutes if you apply in the daytime and the next morning if you apply at night.

18. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Yep, I got my approval email within 5 minutes of applying this afternoon. Good times. :)

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

20. alicepattinson

Bronze

Thanks for asking about this I do also want to know what to do. :)