AT&T Unlocking Procedure

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by topcat84, Sep 29, 2014.

1. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi Guys!!
    In order to get an additional $25, Gazelle asks that you "unlock" your phone. I requested this from AT&T and they sent an approval email. My questions follow.........

1. AT&T says to backup my phone and then hit "Restore". This will delete all data from my iPhone 5. Isn't that the same as removing my SIM card and going into settings and Erasing and Deleting All Info and Data?

2. Also, does it matter whether I do this first or should I setup my 6+ beforehand? Probably simple, but I don't want to lose anything for my new phone. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

2. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

The reason why you backup your old phone is to use it to restore to another or same phone if you may need to.

The only way I know you can unlock your iPhone is by restoring it. By following that process at the end you will get a message saying congratulations your iPhone have been unlocked. The SIM card must be on the phone while doing the restore. You can skip the backup but then you won't have your old files.

In other words, MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR IPHONE 5 FIRST. Then restore your new phone 6 from that backup, once you see you have all your files in the new phone continue the process to unlock the iPhone 5. You maybe backed up in the iCloud already but I trust it better and also do it faster by connecting to the computer.

I have a question for u. How did u get the iPhone 6? Did u already pay it in full? I also requested to unlock my iPhone but was told need to wait 14 days because I'm doing AT&T next, thank u.

3. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi FFAP1234!
    Thanks for the reply! To answer your question, I ordered my 6+ at 3:41am EST by pre-order and I do not have the Next program. My contract was up. Hope that helps!! Cheers!!

4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Yes it answered my question, thank you! I guess I need to wait the 14 days : (

5. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I ordered my 6+ on Sept 13 through the Next program and it is not set to deliver until this Thursday. I got my unlock signal from AT&T last Friday (13 days from order, same day as charged for shipping and 6 days prior to receipt of 6+) fwiw.

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Wow then I don't understand why they are giving me a hard time.

7. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Me either...that is why I posted my timeline for you. Sorry bud.