AT&T voice mail on a jailbroken 3G iPhone

Bengal313

Sep 24, 2007
I have a jailbroken 3g iPhone. My carrier is AT&T. I canceled my iPhone plan and just have a regular plan with text messaging and voice mail. I already went through the setup of my voice mail by calling my own number from my iPhone. I have tested it and people are able to leave messages. What my problem is,

I don't get notification when I have a voice mail. When I click on the voicemail icon the get a message " To retrieve voice mail , first set a password and greeting." Then there is a "Set Up Now" button below. I enter the password that I created but nothing. Error,"Unable to initiate connection." Note: I have Edge and 3G turned off. I only use WIFI.

I had the same setup on my 2G iPhone and everything worked like a charm. I would get notices, little vociemail number would indicate the number of vociemail , and I was able to click voicemail to retrieve messages.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
AT&T's 3G iphone-specific plans are what enable visual voicemail. You won't get visual voicemail to work unless you go back to an iPhone plan - I think this is different between the plans for the first-generation iPhone and 3G iPhone.

nikkorman

Jan 21, 2009
You can cancel the iPhone plan? I thought that is required by ATT?

Bengal313

Sep 24, 2007
I got it to work. I just unlocked it. Stuck a T-Mobile card in used it for couple minutes. Put my AT&T Sim back in and everything working fine. I don't hav visual voicemail but the voicemail alert and button works.

As for canceling, I have some friends in high places (AT&T):cool:

mgs868

Sep 27, 2009
Cripes!

When will ANYONE learn....NO cell phone service provider can
force you to keep any contract you purchase...None of them.

What they can do is bill you an early contract termination fee.
If you fon't mind paying it, then you're done and out of the
contract, with your iPhone.