AT&T vs. Apple Store

JustaGuy

Jun 23, 2007
I'm going to the Apple store. I just don't trust AT&T reps to sell me the phone without giving some BS about my current contract.
Why so hostile?
The setup and activation may verywell be the same, but it's been said, Apple is hardware, ATT is service.It would make sense to me to have the most informed location. Just speculation, though. There are a LOT of att haters in this place, for some reason.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Why so hostile?
The setup and activation may verywell be the same, but it's been said, Apple is hardware, ATT is service.It would make sense to me to have the most informed location. Just speculation, though. There are a LOT of att haters in this place, for some reason.
Not hate and hostile, just frustration. I've been personally told over and over again by the local AT&T stores in LA that they will not sell me the iPhone because I'm a current customer under contract.

I don't want to wait in line for several hours then risk being denied my purchase because I've been a loyal AT&T customer for the past 4 years.

At Apple, I won't have this risk.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Not hate and hostile, just frustration. I've been personally told over and over again by the local AT&T stores in LA that they will not sell me the iPhone because I'm a current customer under contract.

I don't want to wait in line for several hours then risk being denied my purchase because I've been a loyal AT&T customer for the past 4 years.

At Apple, I won't have this risk.
This is not the case at all. You do not need an upgrade to buy the phone! There is no subsidy offered for this exact reason. You will just re-up your contract when activating it.

rose

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I had initially thought that going to the Apple store would've been really exciting. BUT.. I was there the other night, just innocently trying to get the low down. The guy was an absolute jerk. "Don't know anything, lady".. Yeah I say dick. I know you know something.. You're just holding out. Which is fine, but damn, let a sister know the truth! Don't lie to me. But, I really like the other people that work there, as I've dealt with them before. But he was just a turn-off. Went to the AT&T down the hall.. the AT&T rep told me all that she could, even though I've heard it all before and even gave me her card and just said.. "Call me on Friday morning. I'll try to let you know as much as I can.. " Plus, I'm opening up a new contract and porting over my current phone number, just makes sense to get it all over and done with in one spot and at one time...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I had initially thought that going to the Apple store would've been really exciting. BUT.. I was there the other night, just innocently trying to get the low down. The guy was an absolute jerk. "Don't know anything, lady".. Yeah I say dick. I know you know something.. You're just holding out. Which is fine, but damn, let a sister know the truth! Don't lie to me. But, I really like the other people that work there, as I've dealt with them before. But he was just a turn-off. Went to the AT&T down the hall.. the AT&T rep told me all that she could, even though I've heard it all before and even gave me her card and just said.. "Call me on Friday morning. I'll try to let you know as much as I can.. " Plus, I'm opening up a new contract and porting over my current phone number, just makes sense to get it all over and done with in one spot and at one time...
Sounds like the At&t girl is working on comission, so it would make sense for her to want to make you feel comfortable about your purchase.

I don't understand why mav is getting the cold shoulder at his stores. But if he feels more comfortable buying from Apple, then that should work out just fine.

I really think that after Wednesday's employee meetings, the At&t guys will have better perspective of the iPhone purchase requirements.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
This is not the case at all. You do not need an upgrade to buy the phone! There is no subsidy offered for this exact reason. You will just re-up your contract when activating it.
Yeah this is what I keep reading from you guys, but the AT&T stores in my area say otherwise. I'm just not going to take the chance. Besides the entire Apple store experience will be much cooler anyways. :cool:

rose

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Sounds like the At&t girl is working on comission, so it would make sense for her to want to make you feel comfortable about your purchase.

I don't understand why mav is getting the cold shoulder at his stores. But if he feels more comfortable buying from Apple, then that should work out just fine.

I really think that after Wednesday's employee meetings, the At&t guys will have better perspective of the iPhone purchase requirements.
As I understand AT&T chick would be nice because she's going to be makin some fine fine money. Doesn't give the Apple guy the right to be a dick.. I don't know.. I guess I'm used to having great service with the Apple people, even if it's just mindless chit chat.. Possibly my expectations are too high, but I don't want to say that about Apple... especially when I'm letting go some hard earned dollars for this damn device. eh. I'll get over it

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah this is what I keep reading from you guys, but the AT&T stores in my area say otherwise. I'm just not going to take the chance. Besides the entire Apple store experience will be much cooler anyways. :cool:
I agree. I would buy at an Apple store if one was in my hometown. It would be fun just to play with the MBPs in the store.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
As I understand AT&T chick would be nice because she's going to be makin some fine fine money. Doesn't give the Apple guy the right to be a dick.. I don't know.. I guess I'm used to having great service with the Apple people, even if it's just mindless chit chat.. Possibly my expectations are too high, but I don't want to say that about Apple... especially when I'm letting go some hard earned dollars for this damn device. eh. I'll get over it
Not to say the guy shouldn't be a dick but you gotta imagine these people are getting asked the same question like a bajillion times a day. Kinda the same way my 2 year old asks for ice cream before dinner. It just gets on your nerves after a while.

Not it does any good but sometimes I get testy with my little girl when I've been asked the same question a certain number of times. Then I feel bad. I'd imagine that guy does too.

rose

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Not to say the guy shouldn't be a dick but you gotta imagine these people are getting asked the same question like a bajillion times a day. Kinda the same way my 2 year old asks for ice cream before dinner. It just gets on your nerves after a while.

Not it does any good but sometimes I get testy with my little girl when I've been asked the same question a certain number of times. Then I feel bad. I'd imagine that guy does too.
Point taken. But you must understand that I also stood around for 20 minutes waiting for someone to help me. As I made the "I need help" gestures and tapped my foot incessantly on the ground.. I became infuriated. That did not get in the way of talking to that guy. I had worked in retail for over 4 years... I have never been that testy with person who didn't give me a reason to be. And you know what I hope he does feel bad. Although, he really didn't seem like he was holding in the remorse when I walked out, completely saddened... No remorse. But eh. Thus is life. Yeah? And Rob, I do understand your sentiments with your little girl.... Just wait until she gets older. You seem like the spoiling type.

DailyMan

Jun 23, 2007
www.halfrumor.com

There are lot of factors that plays a role in deciding between Apple and AT&T. For example, the location you are at, the size of the store, knowledge of the store rep, normal crowd to the stores, friendliness of the representative, etc. For us to decide between AT&T and Apple, we probably need to do some homework right from today. I would say, we got to go to a couple of AT&T owned stores and also call up AT&T over the phone and find out what's the procedure to activate the phone and whether the same could be done at Apple. Locate atleast more than one AT&T stores and Apple store if any in your area. Make a visit to each of them (one day each). Talk to the reps and find out as much details as possible. If the store is small and if you don't reach quite early to the line, there are chances you may end up without an iPhone on the first day.

-- DailyMan