AT&T vs. Verizon, does it really matter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MNJON, Mar 8, 2012.

1. MNJON

MNJON Member
    Bronze

Since these are not linked to my iPhone service in any way... is there a reason why I could not pick either of these to go with? Is one service better than the other? My current iPad 2 is an AT&T one.... but.... maybe Verizon offers something better for rates?

Any thoughts? Is Veriszon as good? Is their coverage as good?

Thanks!

2. MNJON

MNJON Member
    Bronze

Verizon costs more.... I use AT&T and the $15 per month has been enough... so far. If I go to V... the lowest price is $30 per month for 2gb.... AT&T would be $30 for 3GB!

I'm not sure Verizon would be a plus for me. I cant see any benefit except that IF I visit Montana, the coverage would be better.

Hmmmm

3. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Well it does matter but only to you. Do you live in an area or would be using your iPad in an area where AT&T or more likely Verizon has 4G towers? If so then that could sway your decision. If 4G data speeds are important to you that is. Look at 4G coverage areas for both in your area. If you're on the road a ton without wifi Verizon does have an 10 gig per month plan where AT&T does not. At the end of the day both will work fine on any 3G tower so look at your personal needs and make a choice accordingly.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Simultaneous voice and data is only on AT&T. I've never been on vz but I'll tell you I use this benefit.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

5. MNJON

MNJON Member
    Bronze

Voice and Data at the same time, on an iPad? How would one use that feature?

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Huh...how did miss that? I read each post. I must be real tired.

Ok YES! I use my iPhone headphones and the Talkatone app with my google voice account for voice and data on the iPad.

How's that? I'll be better tomorrow I promise.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

7. GailLA

GailLA Contributor
    Bronze

Everyone has different needs, so I don't think there is a blanket answer. I stayed with AT&T. Not that I particularly like AT&T, but I do like their basic wifi hotspots. If you have any plan at all on your AT&T iPad, including the smallest, you get free basic attwifi. If you go to Starbucks, McDonalds, or stay at Hilton hotels this is very handy. It is also seamless after you connect the first time. I have two planned stays in Hilton hotels coming up and it is so nice to be able to download things over the now 50 Mb limit, among other things, at no additional cost. You can find their hotspots here: http://attwifi.know-where.com/attwifi/. Since this is a feature that I use and that I like, I'm sticking with AT&T.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

8. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

AT&T wifi hotspots have been free for a couple years now. AT&T realized that businessses were just installing routers and offering it for free. It didn't make sense trying to charge for it anymore. I worked at Starbucks while AT&T was still trying to charge for wifi and it turned away a lot of businesss since the cafe right around the corner had free wifi. I still frequent that same Starbucks and I can connect with my Verizon iPhone and my wifi only iPad.

9. L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze

Verizon has 1 gb for $20, not sure if they offer anything cheaper than that...go with the plan and service coverage that is best for you.