AT&T, why are you doing this to me?

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20535&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32318&mapcode=corporate

I always tried to find a reason not to hate AT&T, unlimited data was always a good reason not too.
I've seen data going from unlimited, to not unlimited for new customers and now it might even be taken away from me. I think my days with AT&T are numbered.
verizon or tmobile. the problem is that verizon has a record of requiring new customers to call, which they stink at. tmobile will soon be apart of AT&T so they will have the same prices (higher of course). the mobile industry is sneaky, they understand we need them, but at the same time they take advantage of that sometimes. have patience either way.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
This step will not apply to our 15 million smartphone customers on a tiered data plan or the vast majority of smartphone customers who still have unlimited data plans...............and Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle. Before you are affected, we will provide multiple notices, including a grace period.

I don't have a problem with them doing this...............I have Unlimited data and I don't think I am in the top 5%...........

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know that BeSweeet hits about 12GB a month. He's not happy with the announcement either. He's going to learn that it doesn't matter where he goes, he's going to hit the same "wall".

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
If only 2% of AT&T customers hits the 2 gig data mark, since I use close to 3 every month I have the fear I'm gonna be part of that 5%. They are just sugar coating it, it's inevitable that soon or later the unlimited plan will be taken out completely. they got us by the hook!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sad to say, but this is not something that's unique to AT&T. All the carriers are going this way. Mobile apps and devices like the iPhone and iPad are forcing them to. Honestly I don' think what they announced is that terrible. It's going to apply only to the top 5% of users, and they'te not charging anything to them, they're just slowing them down a bit.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Of course they do. I actually hope that if the T-Mobile deal goes through, that they will relax on the throttling and let customers go full-out. This is why, when next years' iPhone comes out, I'm buying the unlocked one. I won't have to sign a new contract, and I'll keep getting grandfathered on a month to month basis. (after my 2 year contract expires)

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
we have 3 phones + 1 tethered Ipad together we do not get close to what we pay but my son uses unlimited AND A LOT if he get's laggy I get to hear it. NOT AT&T ! And like I said we pay plenty for more then we total together use.
Now if this happens to us I may consider JB Tether option. Also I realize we will need more Data with iOS5 it's all about Data use. I scale down Text and use that down and pay for more Data! As of now I will see I may not go back when iPhone5 comes out! The argument of Hotspots is bogos I was traveling this summer and had MANY areas NO SERVICE and 1/2 on EDGE WHAT THE H**** AT &T ? WHat do I pay for Data if I can't even open FB on EDGE ?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Heh. If we pay att a big bill (over $150) maybe We should pay att slower. I know that's impossible, but they wouldn't like it AT ALL.

Same as if we use a lot of data they shallower out data.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't have a problem with this. It's not going to affect me, nor will it affect most AT&T customers. All of the networks are heading down the same path so it's pointless to hate AT&T for dealing with the extreme users this way. They are putting a strain on network and I don't think it's unfair for them to have to pay more or have their speeds throttled. The average customer uses under 1 GB per month and the networks count on this. I've seen screenshots on this forum of data usage in excess of 25 GB. Theses are the people they are targeting, not those who use 2 or 3 GB. If you switch to another carrier, you'll probably end up being just as displeased.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
yeah I know, but I also see screenshots of people with 7000 rollover minutes. why not give us 3 gigs of data for 30 bucks with rollover? why am I paying for texting when Textnow does exactly the same thing for free and it works better. Text uses data right? I understand they're all going down that road ( well no, except sprint ) but the mary go around is what's making me hate them. 3G still sucks for a lot of people, voice quality is crap and with the new iPhone around the corner ( probably 4G ) they aren't ready as always.

GoalieEd

Bronze
Jul 10, 2010
Not a lot to add, but I'm certainly going to get hit by this. I use around 10 GB a month in my stock iPhone. What I don't know but would like to know is exactly how much I will be slowed down. Will it only be during peak load times, or continuous? Will I still have enough bandwidth to stream audio or video via lower settings on my sling box?

I so a good chunk of my data at work where for security reasons no wifi will ever be available, is there a low cost mifi type device that would make sense?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Goalie, you probably wont be one of the affected. 1GB is not much in comparison to those that routinely go over 5-10 and beyond.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yeah I know, but I also see screenshots of people with 7000 rollover minutes. why not give us 3 gigs of data for 30 bucks with rollover? why am I paying for texting when Textnow does exactly the same thing for free and it works better. Text uses data right? I understand they're all going down that road ( well no, except sprint ) but the mary go around is what's making me hate them. 3G still sucks for a lot of people, voice quality is crap and with the new iPhone around the corner ( probably 4G ) they aren't ready as always.
Cellular phone calls and texting aren't causing the problem, internet usage and people streaming Netflix every day is. They don't lose much by allowing roll over minutes to accrue. Most people never even use them. It's doesn't contribute to your data usage, but 600 texts is equal to the amount of data that is used in a one-minute phone call. Cellular network phone calls put much less strain on the network than internet and streaming videos.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Not only don't I have a problem with this, I am glad they are doing it. I for one was a bit tired of subsidizing those who seemingly used AT&T (or whomever) as if it was a wired broadband ISP. And don't kid yourself, those top 2% using the most data--by far--would not have been able to exist without those of who did not use nearly as much. But unlike insurance we all paid the same price? Something had to give and it started last year with the removal of unlimited plans. Now the extreme users are really standing out and the other shoe is soon to drop..= Really should not be a surprise at all.

If you want to blame someone blame the people who hung onto the term "unlimited" as if it was a ticket to a race to consume as much data as physically possible. Torrent downloads, non-stop video streaming on 3G, tethering a laptop 24/7... you name it. All on 3G that is not as robust as many seem to think.

In the four years I have owned an iPhone, let alone the years of smart phones before I got it, I have never used more than 1.4 GB of data--and that was one month. It's not that I was frugal on 3G data either. I never even really pay attention to how much I use--but I know I use my iPhone a lot.

Anyway, I really don't see this as a problem for even unlimited users using 4GB per month. I suspect the throttling won't occur till you go over 5GB--by how much I don't know.

Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Not only don't I have a problem with this, I am glad they are doing it. I for one was a bit tired of subsidizing those who seemingly used AT&T (or whomever) as if it was a wired broadband ISP. And don't kid yourself, those top 2% using the most data--by far--would not have been able to exist without those of who did not use nearly as much. But unlike insurance we all paid the same price? Something had to give and it started last year with the removal of unlimited plans. Now the extreme users are really standing out and the other shoe is soon to drop..= Really should not be a surprise at all.

If you want to blame someone blame the people who hung onto the term "unlimited" as if it was a ticket to a race to consume as much data as physically possible. Torrent downloads, non-stop video streaming on 3G, tethering a laptop 24/7... you name it. All on 3G that is not as robust as many seem to think.

In the four years I have owned an iPhone, let alone the years of smart phones before I got it, I have never used more than 1.4 GB of data--and that was one month. It's not that I was frugal on 3G data either. I never even really pay attention to how much I use--but I know I use my iPhone a lot.

Anyway, I really don't see this as a problem for even unlimited users using 4GB per month. I suspect the throttling won't occur till you go over 5GB--by how much I don't know.

Michael
I feel pretty much exactly the same.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
well like I said: My hole family pays for more then we use but my son uses a lot specially now while on break.
Why can I not have my extra data I PAY FOR go to my son ?
And I understand people have been JB their phone and sharing the unlimited Data but not me and my family.
Fair it would only be, if you pay for what you use . But then AT&T would loose out, because like Europa said many people don't even use that much. But they do pay for more !