AT&T WiFi hotspots

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
I'm at starbucks and there is AT&T wifi but it says I need an id and password, do I need to sign up somewere?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is a paid service. If you want to do that, I am sure you can do it at starbucks.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Actually, I thought ATT was to provide free wifi to all customers?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Actually, I thought ATT was to provide free wifi to all customers?
This has been an on/off item for months. The last I heard it was a no go. It has changed so many times that you may be right.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just went to their website and it does look like you get 2hrs a day free with a membership card. The membership does cost, but I couldn't find how much it is. All it said was you can get card at any participating Starbucks.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
This is quite ridiculous. Think the cost is attributed to TMobile suing ATT and Starbucks?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Just went to their website and it does look like you get 2hrs a day free with a membership card. The membership does cost, but I couldn't find how much it is. All it said was you can get card at any participating Starbucks.
You get 2 free hours per day with a Starbucks card - no cost for it, it's just one of those cards that you use like a gift card and can reload it whenever you want. I have one, and I just needed to register it for the wifi program on the Starbucks site. The only other requirement is that I use the card at least once a month...

Actually, here's the page with the full details...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Thanks macgirl. Although the process could be way simplified, free wifi is still pretty awesome.

BTW- whatever happened to the iPhone update where if you heard a song you liked on Starbucks PA, you could view and purchase it immediately?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Thanks macgirl. Although the process could be way simplified, free wifi is still pretty awesome.

BTW- whatever happened to the iPhone update where if you heard a song you liked on Starbucks PA, you could view and purchase it immediately?
No problem.

I think that system already works. Once you join a wifi network in a Starbucks and open up the iTunes store app on your iPhone, you're immediately presented with "what's playing" in Starbucks at that time (and recently played songs, too, IIRC) and have the option to buy it...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You get 2 free hours per day with a Starbucks card - no cost for it, it's just one of those cards that you use like a gift card and can reload it whenever you want. I have one, and I just needed to register it for the wifi program on the Starbucks site. The only other requirement is that I use the card at least once a month...

Actually, here's the page with the full details...
Good deal. When I went to the web site, you had a choice of getting a card with free wifi and without. This lead me to believe there was a charge for the card.
So this card is really just a way of buying product at Starbucks. Like you said a gift card of sorts.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Good deal. When I went to the web site, you had a choice of getting a card with free wifi and without. This lead me to believe there was a charge for the card.
So this card is really just a way of buying product at Starbucks. Like you said a gift card of sorts.
Yes, it's just a prepaid Starbucks "giftcard". Your two hours daily free use is limited to one two hour block; you can't divide it up into smaller bits.

You can also register for free use of AT&T hotspots if you are an AT&T high speed internet customer. This time is not limited.

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
I know wifi is faster that 3g but why would you pay when you have edge or 3g and paying data plan.

Unless it's for laptop. take your cup of coffee to the nearest hotel or motel or other coffee shop that has free wifi. I have no problem finding free wifi.

When I bought my iPhone 2g at a mall kiosk I activated on the malls free wifi.

I will go to a nice hotel sit down in nice chairs and surf the net on my laptop with the free wifi.

do not want to go in you can get their wifi in the parking lot.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Plunked down $5 to put on a gift card. Registered it on my iPhone 3G. And, voila!... hooked up with AT&T wifi. It appears the login and password for your Starbucks account is the same login for your AT&T wi-fi. When I choose attwifi, it takes me to a login screen on Safari.

And, really, the $5 I spent on the gift card will go to my next cup of Frappacino so it really cost me NOTHING to get wi-fi access.

Here in Honolulu, AT&T wifi is also at certain McDonald's. Otherwise, there not a lot of wi-fi hotspots where I live. I still can't figure out how to get on the Subway wifi.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I was at an AT&T wifi hotspot the other day (Not Starbucks). I was able to access AT&T's wifi signal, free of charge and no card. I turn on the wifi on my iPhone, seconds later it was connected to AT&T. I was surprised...Mark

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Didn't work here at Dulles Airport. I was provided with an iphone-formatted page looking for a login.

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
That's where my home Att DSL comes in handy. I get free wifi at Att hotspots by using my DSL login. I have Tmo as my iPhone service, so sometimes the Tmo and Att get into a wifi fight.