AT&T won't unlock my iPhone

1. darwin-t

darwin-t New Member

I put in a request for AT&T to unlock my iPhone 4. They refused, saying "the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed".

I am eligible for an upgrade, so I assume my 2 year contract extension is up.

Will I have to stop using this phone before they will unlock it?

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius Moderator

If you purchase a new phone before your approval went through, it will be refused. I had this issue with one of my two iPhone 4's when I purchased 2 new iPhone 5's. I requested one unlock before ordering and the other after. The one that went through after I had to call and get it cleared manually by talking to customer service. But they did do it once they saw the problem.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

You're eligible for the full upgrade at 18 months. But if you don't upgrade at that time, you'll remain under contract for a total of 24 months.

If you want to unlock without having to end the contract, you can use an eBay unlock. Mine was $6.75.

5. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist Gold

Look up eBay user unlock_fusion and buy the unlock for around $5 it's legit and Factory unlock like att aswell.

6. Europa

Yep, Unlockfusion was who I went through as well. Couldn't have been easier.

7. darwin-t

darwin-t New Member

Thanks, everybody. I called them and they told me once I upgrade and was no longer using this one, my service commitment for this one would be done and they'd unlock it. They also told me when you can upgrade every 20 months.

Weird.

I know what to do now. Thanks again.

8. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member Bronze

For those using unlock fusion - did it matter that the phone was not active any longer? In other words I now have my ip5, I removed the sim card from my iPhone 4 (preparing to sell), and while the phone still works as a glorifed ipod touch, it's no longer an active phone.

Thanks!

9. Ndrey

Ndrey New Member

If your contract is off and you have no debt (clean balance, no unpaid bills etc) you can really ask AT&T to unlock your device. If you have a contract you can login on AT&T official site making use of your AT&T account and click on “Chat Now”
    Complete the AT&T chart form with real info. Next within the chart form just type “I wish to unlock my iPhone” and click on start chat. In the end you need to explain why you need to unlock your phone and provide towards the representative your IMEI number. This is required to see if your phone is suitable for unlock.

If things are right the representative will request you for email to offer you further unlock particulars. So type your email properly.

But this is too much for you, you can always try att-iphone-unlock.com and unlock your device quick and cheap.

10. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot Gold

I just emailed them :

I have a spare AT&T iPhone 4S and I'm currently using it on T-Mobile with a Gevey card. Since it's not on AT&T right now can it still be unlocked with your service?

As soon as they answer I'll post it here but since you posted back in November, have you found the answer you can share with us?

11. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot Gold

Confirmed. I paid them and exactly 59 minutes later I got the message. I removed the gevey sim interposer and installed my T-Mobile sim alone and plugged it into iTunes. It gave me the message that my 4S needed to be activated. I clicked ok and that was all. It didn't even go through the entire activation process and T-Mobile showed up on the upper corner. All for $4.99 !

I could have gone through AT&T but I would have had to deal WITH AT&T ! $4.99 is well worth not having to talk to their "customer support" and it took less than an hour and with AT&T it would have been days and a couple of calls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot Gold

Just did my neighbor's 3GS. She was on 5.0.1 using Ultrasn0w and in no hurry to upgrade so I figured I'd buy the 24 hour unlock for $2.50 from unlock_fusion on ebay. Exactly 2 hours later I got the email. Just like my 4S the 3GS told me it needed activation and I said yes and that was all. It's now working with T-mobile after I uninstalled Ultrasn0w and now I'm going to upgrade to 6.1 and JB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist Gold

You can't do it with AT&T, as it's illegal now to unlock.

14. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot Gold

Actually it's not illegal to unlock it. Only phones purchased after the new deal. Everything purchased previous to that date you can unlock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member Bronze

I also have this issue with AT&T that they won't unlock my iPhone even though I'm already out of the contract. What I did is I went to have my phone remotely unlock instead. Much better and easier.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

upon reading this thread, I looked up unlockfusion on google. Found a link to their ebay store and it was 1.99 to unlock. For that price, I was willing to give it a shot, although I was skeptical.
    It worked, but because I don't have a different SIM to use at the moment, I had to restore, which meant going from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3, so no jailbreak for me, but my phone is unlocked!

17. Europa

Ahh! You should have asked here first. You don't have to restore to apply an IMEI unlock if your phone is jailbroken. You can bypass the restore by deactivating with SAM in Cydia. The phone will activate when you connect to iTunes and you'll get the iTunes "Congratulations, your phone has been unlocked" pop up. It's much faster than restoring and you maintain jailbreakability. Here's the thread I started on bypassing the restore when jailbroken.

Just an FYI: An unofficial SIM wouldn't have applied your unlock if you had had acess to one. This type of unlock can only be applied with a deactivation and reactivation, and the only way that can be done stock is with a restore.

Congrats on the unlock though. It's permanent, very cheap, will save you a lot of money if you travel outside the US, and it will increase the phone's resale value a little.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leo Renard

Leo Renard Zealot Silver

Wish I saw this thread sooner. I used Chronic unlocks, although worked great, it was much more expensive than the prices you guys said.

19. Europa

IMEI unlocks for Canadian carriers were about 10x more expensive than AT&T unlocks when I looked into it in the winter. It seems to have to to with supply and demand and there are/were a plethora of them available for AT&T.

20. Leo Renard

Leo Renard Zealot Silver

Actually I was unlocking a few AT&T devices for some friends of mine, around $25 a pop. Canadian handsets can get up to about $150 or so, which is just outright ridiculous.

21. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

How are you unlocking them? The one I did is actually "official" through iTunes when all is said and done, and more importantly- permanent.

Sent using iCafe app