AT&T Worst Customer Support EVER! and some questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
So I got a new iPhone today because I planned to give my other to my little brother. I call AT&T and talk to some dude about transferring my service from one phone to another. He makes it seem like it is very easy to do, and begins the process. I verify with him that everything is done after about 5 minutes and he tells me I'm good to go, and says: "Peace Brother" though i kind of wanted to say I'm not your brother, I just hang up.:laugh2:

Over an hour later I realize my old iPhone's service is no longer working, so I check my new one, and my new one also has no service.

Try plugging it into iTunes and activating, and still nothing, gives me an error.

Go into the AT&T store, and ask a "Technician" there. He states "I don't really know" the guy probably shrugged his shoulders 20 times, I felt like ringing his neck.:mad:

Then I call AT&T support AGAIN, they tell me my account has too many notes on it and that she is confused and cant help me.

ARE YOU SERIOUSS?

I quit....I cant activate it in the AT&T store, over iTunes, or over the phone. But I'm sure they will be able to bill me without a problem.

The iPhone is awesome, I love it, but AT&T is a joke, Verizon's customer support was so much better, not to mention so was there network.

PLEASE VERIZON GET A SIMILAR PHONE!

Anyways that was my rant, just a little pissed at the moment.

Think going to the Apple store would do any good?

Also this is random, but where can I look into bypassing the iPhone activation. I want to install iPhonesimfree, but I don't want to have to activate the phone.

Thanks in advanced

Mr D

Bronze
Sep 13, 2007
So I got a new iPhone today because I planned to give my other to my little brother. I call AT&T and talk to some dude about transferring my service from one phone to another. He makes it seem like it is very easy to do, and begins the process. I verify with him that everything is done after about 5 minutes and he tells me I'm good to go, and says: "Peace Brother" though i kind of wanted to say I'm not your brother, I just hang up.:laugh2:

Over an hour later I realize my old iPhone's service is no longer working, so I check my new one, and my new one also has no service.

Try plugging it into iTunes and activating, and still nothing, gives me an error.

Go into the AT&T store, and ask a "Technician" there. He states "I don't really know" the guy probably shrugged his shoulders 20 times, I felt like ringing his neck.:mad:

Then I call AT&T support AGAIN, they tell me my account has too many notes on it and that she is confused and cant help me.

ARE YOU SERIOUSS?

I quit....I cant activate it in the AT&T store, over iTunes, or over the phone. But I'm sure they will be able to bill me without a problem.

The iPhone is awesome, I love it, but AT&T is a joke, Verizon's customer support was so much better, not to mention so was there network.

Also this is random, but where can I look into bypassing the iPhone activation. I want to install iPhonesimfree, but I don't want to have to activate the phone.

Thanks in advanced
You should have never let the first guy go before you actually made a test call.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
yes I guess I should assume that when calling support where there only job is to activate phones (this was the "activation" department) that they were just kidding when they said everything was good to go:laugh2:

I assume people can do the jobs they are trained to do

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
Doby makes a good point here.. After all, your first mistake was assuming that this WAS their job..

AT&T wants nothing to do with the switching of service from one iPhone to another, since this is all done over iTunes. Instead of calling AT&T and wasting both yours and their time, here's what you should have done:

1) Swap old SIM into new phone and, just like the screen says, connect to iTunes. (iTunes recognizes your ICCID and detects a new IMEI and asks how to proceed.)
2) Use iTunes to activate new phone by choosing "Replace an existing phone on my AT&T account with this iPhone."

This process takes 2 to 3 minutes. I do it all day long with service/loaner phones (I am cust support for Apple)... now,

3) Put new SIM in old phone and connect to iTunes (iTunes recognizes a new ICCID all together and asks how to proceed)
4) Proceed in iTunes to "Add a line to an existing account", or "Create a new account"...

This process takes 5 minutes to 6 hours, depending on the type of account and any porting necessary.

Overall, you should have been done in less than 15 minutes. Again, you don't need to call to transfer service, and the big "CONNECT TO iTunes" screen should have given this away .:cool:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

ARE YOU SERIOUSS?

Thanks in advanced
I understand your situation. AT&T service is awful. Bad coverage, the people who work in the store here have no idea what they're doing and the customer service is simply unacceptable.

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
The iPhone comes WITH AT&T right now.. That is a part of the product, and a major part I might add.... This is why consumers are retarded:

You researched the product (AT&T), you came to the conclusion that you likely would not like the product (AT&T), then you bought the product anyway. And now to complain about the product seems ridiculous to me. You should have left the product on the shelf for someone who appreciates it.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

ARE YOU SERIOUSS?

Thanks in advanced
How frustrating.

I'm still on TMo and their cust. service is great, they will not allow you to get off the phone until they are positive your phone is in service.

I know (shoulda, coulda, woulda), but I would have stayed on the phone with them until I was absolutely damn sure it was working. If the person you are currently talking with hits a problem, then transfer to the next person that can help you.

Good Luck!;)

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You should have never let the first guy go before you actually made a test call.
Yup, it's clearly the cuatomer's fault.:rolleyes:

AT&T has the worst mobile provider customer service I've ever experienced, in all categories, from proffessionalism to competency to effectiveness.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
couln't u switch the exact sim from the iPhone? wouldn't that make it lot ez'ier? because u r switch giving him your old iPhone take that out give your brother the new sim from the iPhone you just got.. ?/?

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Wow I'm starting to realize why customer service is so bad now days.

It's because you people expect much too less!

You are paying a lot of money each month for AT&T service. They need to FULLY train their employees to be able to tackle problems with the service, and with the iPhone. If they are going to take on the iPhone, then they should have all bases covered. It is not MY fault, it is THEIR fault. The customer is always right. You can try to blame it on me anyway you would like, but you people need to get your head out of the sand and demand to be treated properly.

I should not have to go do hours of research on the iPhone. I should be able to bring it into my service provider, and have them do anything I need done of this nature.

Apple and AT&T need to develop a better method to work together or they will be losing tons of customers. Especially when Verizon comes out with the iPhone killer, which could happen fairly soon.

For those of you who expect to be treated like crap, have a little more expectations, you pay a lot of money for phone service.

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
Like i said i agree that AT&T has bad Customer Service at times but there coverage is so much better than Verizon.. and yes some people expect too much out of what they get. they think that everything should be automatic for them. if you thought that way then your just one selfish mofo. do honestly think just cause your the customer, you're %100 always correct. YA! that as the quote like in the 90s. Now everyone and all things now a days are different. GET WITH THE PROGRAM! if you don't get your answers don't waste your time on BS and get straight to the source!

Sep 12, 2007

ARE YOU SERIOUSS?

Thanks in advanced
Prada is making an iPhone for Verizon customers. wont be out for a while though.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Like i said i agree that AT&T has bad Customer Service at times but there coverage is so much better than Verizon.. and yes some people expect too much out of what they get. they think that everything should be automatic for them. if you thought that way then your just one selfish mofo. do honestly think just cause your the customer, you're %100 always correct. YA! that as the quote like in the 90s. Now everyone and all things now a days are different. GET WITH THE PROGRAM! if you don't get your answers don't waste your time on BS and get straight to the source!
Do I think I'm 100% right all the time? Do I think I went about activating the phone correctly?

No on both of those. You are probably a bit too young to understand the concept of customer service. It means the seller should never put blame on the consumer. Which is all AT&T has been doing, rather then troubleshoot the issue. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct at all....I'm saying AT&T shouldn't shift blame to their customers or to Apple, they should fix the issue.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
The iPhone comes WITH AT&T right now.. That is a part of the product, and a major part I might add.... This is why consumers are retarded:

You researched the product (AT&T), you came to the conclusion that you likely would not like the product (AT&T), then you bought the product anyway. And now to complain about the product seems ridiculous to me. You should have left the product on the shelf for someone who appreciates it.
You claim to be a customer service rep for Apple and you say that consumers are retarded. I'm sure your supervisors would be thrilled with your attitude toward the people who ultimately pay your salary.

The OP called AT&T and had every right to expect that the tech would know how to transfer service or direct him to someone who could.

Your reply about switching the SIM cards was well-written and very helpful. You should have stopped there.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Conclusion after visiting Apple store today. Apparently my phone is IMPOSSIBLE to activate.

Went to AT&T store, guy shrugs his shoulders 50 times, other girl is clueless.
Called AT&T 7 times(YES SEVEN TIMES) and talked two managers, lead techs, you name it.

Went to the Apple store, guy was nice and tried to help me, but could not do anything with activation.

Tried iTunes activation with two different iPhones, and every variation between the two, NOTHING.

At this point I just want to activate the phone, so I can receive the $100 store credit. I will never deal with AT&T again.

Canceling my standard phone service and getting vonage, canceling cell service and going to verizon (anyone know of some good phones through them? I need email, and calendar for sure.)

Anyways can't wait to ssay good bye to AT&T, it will be a glorious moment.

And don't get me wrong, I know a lot of you have not had any of these issues, but the fact that when it really comes down to something tricky, no one can help me. Thats just not right, it is flat out ridiculous.

I may consider unlocking the iPhone and using T-Mobile, but I heard their service in my area isn't great.

Anyways another rant, I guess I won't be around much longer if I sell my iPhone, so you wont have to hear anymore :laugh2:

Peace

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
I'm a sucker

Well I just couldn't do it, I just like the iPhone too much.

The problem was due to having a pre-paid account, apparently you can not use iTunes to activate a pre-paid account unless it is a new signup and the credit check was failed.

Only took one week for someone to tell me that!

Anyways I ended up signing up for post paid (Yes I just went into a two year agreement with the company I hate!)

I would have hacked my iPhone and used it with T-Mobile, but I like the Visual Voicemail too much.

What can I say, other than I'm a sucker.

But I still hate ATT!