ATT Next can actually be a great option, especially if you're not elligible for a full upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by acosmichippo, Sep 11, 2014.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I thought we had a carrier section, but I couldn't find it. Feel free to move this post if it's still there. I also posted this in another thread, but thought it may deserve its own topic.

Anyway, my GF and I just switched to a Next plan today. Turns out it will be much cheaper in the long run because both of our mobile calling plans are reduced by 2x $25/month AND free unlimited texting, saving us $600 a year for voice and ~$400/year for texting (on a normal plan we'd be paying 2x $20/month for unlimited texting). The shared data plan we chose is a little more expensive ($100/month vs 2x $30/month), but we also get more data and included wifi hotspots. in the end, we're saving $50/month on our bill, so that more than makes up for the lost subsidies (which we were not even elligible for anyway). If we were elligible for full subsidies, Next would pay for itself after 16 months. With partial subsidies, it would pay for itself after ~8 months.

I think we're both planning on keeping our iphone 6's for two years anyway, so by then we will have made all the payments and can resell them. If you're the kind of person that would rather own your phone from the beginning, you can always buy it outright, which is the same cost, just up front instead of distributed over 20 or 24 months. But in my view, you might as well keep your money and do the monthly payments. Put that $600-$1000 into Apple stock or something instead of handing it over to ATT.

More of you guys should really consider this. I was skeptical myself, but after doing the arithmetic it was a no-brainer for our situation. If you haven't looked into it, I'd strongly recommend going to an AT&T store tomorrow and check out your options before preordering Friday.

#1 acosmichippo, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. However, I don't think you save more money through Next if you are eligible for subsidy. I'm going to use subsidy and lower my bill by $25 per month this year since the plans are cheaper now and I can cancel unlimited messaging. My bill will go from $105 to $80, but I will have to pay $340 upfront. It all evens out. That said, if you aren't eligible for full subsidy, Next is a great option. I plan on using it next year.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

you're right, I was combining my savings from Next as well as moving to a new Mobile Share plan. It'll still work out to our benefit though.

4. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Member
    Bronze

What's nice is unlimited international txts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Correction. I think the AT&T representative I spoke with a few days ago gave me inaccurate information. It looks like I won't be eligible for the $65 monthly pricing if I use subsidy. It would instead be $80 since I wouldn't get the $15 discount. That's still $25 less per month and $300 less per year than what I'm paying now. I'll probably still go with subsidy because a $15 savings per month ($180 per year) isn't as good as a $450 discount on the phone. Even if you only upgrade every two years, you still only save $360 total through that $15 discount. It's a $450 savings with full subsidy. But then again, you don't have an ETF with Next since you will pay the full cost and you do with the contract. Decisions, decisions...
    image.jpg

6. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Member
    Bronze

I generally have to go home and try figure it out. It does get too confusing

7. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

When I looked at Next it didn't seem like a value for us. I don't like the idea of paying full price for it and giving it back if I want a new one in a year. AT&T basically gets paid twice when I could sell the phone and add a few bucks to pay full price to get a new one. I guess maybe it works if you keep it the whole time, but I'm so fickle I likely couldn't.

We've had them since they were Cingular and they messed up our account so bad earlier this year that we negotiated the Mobile Share discount permanently, regardless of contract status. $240 a mth for 5 lines all iPhones.

I'd probably wait for subsidy before I gave them any more money then I had to.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Pay it off before the end of the year and then it's yours to sell.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Member
    Bronze

If you paid full price, you can keep it. You only turn it in if you hadn't paid it off. But you can pay it off anytime.

10. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Member
    Bronze

And if you took the 18 month plan. You pay off your phone in full in 20 months. So for 4 months of a 2 year contract (if you had subsidized) you won't be paying installment fees. So in the long run you save money.

11. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Member
    Bronze

Kind of high. I pay $250 before taxes with 10 iphones. How much data you use?

12. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

For us the math just wasn't showing an overall savings under any scenario, I'll try to dig up the spreadsheet I used to calculate the overall price under different scenarios. Maybe something has changed,,.

13. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

I will just buy my phone outright! Will be about the same price!

14. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I thought about this also. My Barclay card has 0% APR right now on Apple purchases.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

well that's basically what att next is - 0% financing. I guess the only difference is that you may have other benefits if you pay with a credit card, like Amex's extended protection.

16. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Yup.. Doing best buy.. Zero interest... Phone is 100 percent mine... Payment is less then the next plan payment... And ordering both phones so I can decide which one I want! :) I'll sell my iPhone 5s and pay off the phone.

17. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

And it's mine. I don't have to pay the balance off with AT&T if I decide I want to upgrade, or leave them altogether.

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

but you'd still have to pay the balance on your credit card. the "ownership" issue is just semantics, in my opinion.

19. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

The idea is keeping AT&T out of the equation.

20. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

If and when you pay the phone off early do I still to make the installment payments?