ATT Next can actually be a great option, especially if you're not elligible for a full upgrade

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
A final thought on this opting out thing, i got curious as to why these reps keep telling me 12 months needed before you can opt out, then i called a few more and now they are telling me its at least two months before you can pay it all off, also they said if you "cancel" your account THEN you can opt out and pay in full, but not if you just want to cancel the next program, then its at least 2 months..which probably isn't a big deal though..but i would say this qualifies as vague, they list one thing in writing and their policy means something else..
Heres an article that talks about and how your really paying more on the next program:
http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/News/next-please-atts-new-upgrade-scheme-has-you-paying-for-your-phone-twice
Another thing, when you called again and finally got someone that knows what they are talking about, all they did was repeat what is already in the NEXT FAQ's that's on AT&T's website which is not vague. It's printed clearly. That's why I don't really go by what AT&T reps tell me when it comes to their terms. If they tell you any different, you need to call them out on it. It's the only way they will learn. Why would anyone cancel the NEXT plan other than for shutting down service for that line? If I pay the device off in full early, my monthly bill goes down. If I want to change my service plan, the price of the installment amount won't change. Just the price of the new service plan. If you decide to subsidize for the next iPhone and you've paid the device off in full prior to the launch, you are no longer under the NEXT plan because you are longer financing the device so you should be able to subsidize your next phone if you like.

Last edited:

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Yes i agree, the reps are a bit dim when it comes to new programs they roll out...where does it say you have to wait 2 months (or 2 payments) before you can opt out of next though?, thats what they are telling me now. What you highlighted used the word "anytime"..thats vague to me.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Yes i agree, the reps are a bit dim when it comes to new programs they roll out...where does it say you have to wait 2 months (or 2 payments) before you can opt out of next though?, thats what they are telling me now. What you highlighted used the word "anytime"..thats vague to me.
I think they are mixing it up with early upgrade unless the reps are saying this also applies to cancelation which I doubt.

Can I upgrade my AT&T Next smartphone earlier than 12 or 18 months?

Yes, you can. After you have been billed and made two monthly installment payments, as long as your account is in good standing, you are eligible to take advantage of our Pay to Upgrade option.
You can pay off the device in full anytime if you want to own the phone. If you want to do early upgrade on to another device but stay on NEXT, you will have to have paid at least 2 payments before you can pay the 12 months or 18 months to be upgrade status. Why anyone would want to do this, I don't know. They'd just be throwing money away paying 12 or 18 months of payments just after 2 months to only return the device to get another.

Last edited:

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
seems people are also overlooking the $100 Next plan bill credit in their calculations or is there some funny fine print to it?

Sent from my Oneplus One

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
seems people are also overlooking the $100 Next plan bill credit in their calculations or is there some funny fine print to it?

Sent from my Oneplus One
I think that is because that credit it only on new line not on a current line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Best option for me was adding an extra line the year I wasn't eligible for an update (this is Verizon BTW) and having a family share plan with the 2 lines. The other line is basically a line that's never used except for the upgrade, which is then gifted to the other line. I take really good care of my phones so I sell the yr. old model for the subsidized price of the new phone and basically get a free upgrade every year.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
I pay for 5 iphone lines on family mobile share unlimited talk and text and share 10gb data for $190 month after taxes for my I think next is a rip off I mean I can get the iphone 6 for $199 plus the additional $200 cause I only qualify for partial upgrade witch after tax brings the 6 to around $450 but then I can sell my 5s for $350 on Craigslist and end up just paying $150 for the iPhone 6 on next u can't do that cause u don't own the phone till after 18 moths.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
If you pay off the installments early you bill would go down by the amount your monthly installment was until you get a new phone on next

Only benefit I see is if you want a lower bill for those remaining months and have the cash flow to do it at the time.

If I had the $$ I'd just buy the phone outright and not worry about anything changing on my bill since I'm on the Mobil share

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I pay for 5 iphone lines on family mobile share unlimited talk and text and share 10gb data for $190 month after taxes for my I think next is a rip off I mean I can get the iphone 6 for $199 plus the additional $200 cause I only qualify for partial upgrade witch after tax brings the 6 to around $450 but then I can sell my 5s for $350 on Craigslist and end up just paying $150 for the iPhone 6 on next u can't do that cause u don't own the phone till after 18 moths.
a couple things:

you would get a $25/month discount on your phone bill and also no one-time activation fee ($40) for using next. over the course of one year, that is already more savings ($340) than a partial subsidy ($250). If you keep your phone for two years, it's $300 even more savings on top of that.

you can buy out the phone at any time if you'd like to resell it.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
The way I understand it is if you do a subsidy you don't qualify for the mobile share value plan or what ever it's called and when you upgrade your plan price goes up $15or $25 I can't remember which so by the end of the contract you end up paying full price for either way subsidy or next

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Lets go over your figures.

Subsidized you pay 400 for the phone + your line access charge is going to go from 15 bucks to 40 bucks per month for the 2 year contract + 40 for the upgrade fee. So your going to pay a $1040 for a 750 dollar phone. NEXT will divide 750 over either 18 or 24 months, you keep your access fee at 15 bucks and there is no upgrade fee.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the discount you get on your voice plan through Next depends on which data plan you choose. if you choose a mobile share plan at 10GB or above (which is $100), you get a $25/month discount. If you choose a lower data plan, you only get a $15/month discount. Because of the 10GB plan, it works out less favorably for accounts that do not use 10GB of data.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
a couple things:

you would get a $25/month discount on your phone bill and also no one-time activation fee ($40) for using next. over the course of one year, that is already more savings ($340) than a partial subsidy ($250). If you keep your phone for two years, it's $300 even more savings on top of that.

But the phone monthly fee is $32 for the 6 plus and $27 for iPhone 6 on next 12 plan so no savings on next plus I like to upgrade my phones when a new iphone comes out
a couple things:

how would I get a $25 month credit on my phone bill a month I called att right now and they said nothing about a $25 credit a month

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
But the phone monthly fee is $32 for the 6 plus and $27 for iPhone 6 on next 12 plan so no savings on next plus I like to upgrade my phones when a new iphone comes out

how would I get a $25 month credit on my phone bill a month I called att right now and they said nothing about a $25 credit a month

The $25 credit is if you have a multi line share plan. On top of the fee you pay for x amount of data you pay a $40 per device fee. If you purchase a phone through the next program you get the $25 credit off the $40 device fee making it $15 for the device plus your next plan price.

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
a normal 450 minute voice plan is $40. On next with a 10GB data plan, it reduces the voice plan by $25 to $15.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The $25 credit is if you have a multi line share plan. On top of the fee you pay for x amount of data you pay a $40 per device fee. If you purchase a phone through the next program you get the $25 credit off the $40 device fee making it $15 for the device plus your next plan price.

Sent using iCafe app
doesn't have to be multi line, you just need a data plan over 10GB. See the big green section on this page:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html#fbid=wf9Q88JlhUZ

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I went back and forth a lot on whether to get a subsidized phone or AT&T Next.
I am on a 10 GB mobile value share plan with that $25/mo discount made a subsidized iPhone ~$150-200 more over the 2 years with a iPhone 6+ 64gb (clearly different models have impact on this).
$25 x 24= $600 + $399 + $40 activation= $1040...I know I might be able to get AT&T to waive the activation fee
vs
$850 on the Next plan. I figure I will pay it off early and be done.

I was really surprised to see how much the difference was. I could understand with a subsidy to pay a little interest but almost 20% over 2 years yikes.

I am going to offset some of the cost by selling an iPhone 5 as I will give my son my 5S.