attach a piece of scotch tape to your SIM card

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Everybody who has bought an iPhone 3g must try this.
attach a pice of scotch tape to the back of your iPhones sim card(the side with no metal contacts) believe me i did this and i was getting originaly like 1 bar or no 3g in my house but after i did this i had 3-5 yes i have had 5 and it is so much fasterand never goes below 3. the reason this works is because kou are increasing the presure betwewn the simcard and the phone sim card reader. what this does is make a better contact between the two and it made my phone way faster.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
This voids your warranty, but I have read with the first iPhone that this helps out with signal strength.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
hmm makes sense. i called Apple support today about the signal issue. she told me to either go and reset network settings (which didn't do anything) she also said to eject my sim and put it back in, she said its because the sim can come loose, causing the signal to be so low. so attaching this with scotch tape would seem reasonable. so when you take your sim out, you just wrapped tape around the back of the sim card to the sim card holder itself?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Why does it void the warranty (I don't doubt it does though). Kinda dumb if you ask me. People just trying to fix this mess. Frankly AT&T and Apple for that matter should be scrambling.

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
hmm makes sense. i called Apple support today about the signal issue. she told me to either go and reset network settings (which didn't do anything) she also said to eject my sim and put it back in, she said its because the sim can come loose, causing the signal to be so low. so attaching this with scotch tape would seem reasonable. so when you take your sim out, you just wrapped tape around the back of the sim card to the sim card holder itself?
no i cut a tiny sguare the size of the back of the card so it made it thicker so it would push harder.

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
This voids your warranty, but I have read with the first iPhone that this helps out with signal strength.
How would this void your warranty? just take the tape off before you have the Apple store replace it.

May 14, 2008
makes since, I will have to try this. Is the sim card just a little loose normally?

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
makes since, I will have to try this. Is the sim card just a little loose normally?
im not an expert but i geuss in the iPhone the sim sard isn't fastend very good and mabee the 3g on it is great and no one knows because they don't know this. on a $50 cheap boost mobile phone i used to have lol it had a metal thing behind the sim pushing it into the contacts so i assume all sims should be pushed onto the contacts hard but the iPhone doesn't look like it is.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
How would this void your warranty? just take the tape off before you have the Apple store replace it.
Hey, I'm a realist. I did not say there were no ways around it(obviously taking the tape off if you ever got to a genius bar). I am just saying by doing this you void your warranty, which most of us know WE would only know we did that. By the time we get to an Apple store WE would be "within the warranty"......Ummm, again.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
One problem with using tape is that if you take it off again, the contacts will now be used to being pressed much more firmly and they'll no longer make good contact with the sim.

I just opened up my sim card tray (zing! shot across the desk) and cleaned the contacts on my sim and blew out the slot with a squeezy bulb blower (that canned "air" can act as a solvent if you squirt the freezing-cold liquid out). When I put it back together, voila! 4 bars at work, where I've never had more than 1 or 2! I wonder if this will result in less dropped calls? I know the perfect spot in town to test it... I drop 50% of calls when I drive past this one intersection.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is this really worth a try...?
either scotch tape on sim or clean sim and the slot...?

I'm not very Tech person here, so I'm afraid I will break anything... (not that doing it will break, but in the process "I" might break something)

Plus, I do not know where is sim card in my phone..... i know shame on me :p

Jul 14, 2008
Is this really worth a try...?
either scotch tape on sim or clean sim and the slot...?

I'm not very Tech person here, so I'm afraid I will break anything... (not that doing it will break, but in the process "I" might break something)

Plus, I do not know where is sim card in my phone..... i know shame on me :p
I never got it to work at all on mine. Still now 3G in my basement and upstairs, I still get 3G with one bar. I even attached a second piece of tape over the first one.

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I don't get how cleaning it would fix it if they came out like a few days ago and the contacts are practicaly new

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
none of this should even be necessary with todays technology...and the cost of this phone on a monthly basis...

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Please post all your 3G issues at

www.fixmy3giPhone.com

I'm trying to get all these hundreds of posts all over the internet in one place to really get some attention.