Attachment save (kinda) trick

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Ok one of the things about the iPhone i hate is NOT being able to save an attachment I get in an email. Like if someone emails me a PDF or something I cant re-access it after its been downloaded off the server. Also if your somewhere were your coverage stinks it can take a while for the email to open up and it can be a pain if you need to access that file.

I kind of found a little work around without fwd'ing it to another account or something like that. Just move it to your sent folder. I did this with a couple emails i needed that had my travel arrangements on a PDF and I wanted to have them with me. Well I moved it to the sent folder and poof! No more waiting for the file to download, no worries about "This message has not been downloaded from the server" message. So if you are like me and pop into an account from say your home email and use your iPhone when you travel, before you download all your email to your home comp just save it to your sent folder on your iPhone first.

Hope we get an update that allows us to "save" attachments from emails because this is one thing that is really keeping me from loving this phone totally (that and the annoying no MMS thing but i can live with out that)

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
that will be helpful.. how long does it stay in the sent box? or is it until you clear it out
Well mine stayed over week while I was away. Not sure if it clears out after a while or if it will auto delete it after 25 sent messages or anything. I just made sure that I deleted my other messages i didn't need in the sent box and it stayed and was accessed every time i needed it.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Geez....I have posted a question about this silly attachment bug and FINALLY someone has answered it. It has been a real pain for me and attachements on emails. The email and its attachements are downloaded and at some time in the future the email is lost and the iPhone thinks it needs to go to the server to re-doanload. But ofcourse the server has already moved the email to its trash box and it can not be redownloaded. It has been a real pain for me.

Big Question - I get the idea of moving the email into another folder but is there a way to CREATE a new folder on the iPhone? Rather than placing the emails into the sent folder, how about a new created folder like "Saved".

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Big Question - I get the idea of moving the email into another folder but is there a way to CREATE a new folder on the iPhone? Rather than placing the emails into the sent folder, how about a new created folder like "Saved".
I wish!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I'm not sure what the problemo is here. My mail stays in my inbox with its attachments until I delete it. Right now I've got a couple that go back to 7/27 in the InBox. I'm using Road Runner.

RomeoSto

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Chicago IL
Good find, I haven't had too much time to experiment with my phone lately but I did have that problem. Soon enough I know they will correct the PDF issue because I use to like reading eBooks on my treo which lead me to buying this phone in hopes that a bigger screen could make the text easier to read.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If you have an IMAP account (not POP), you can create as many folders as you want on the server and you will see them on your iPhone. That way you will have better places to move your mail to than the "sent" folder.

Also, there seems to be some confusion about which messages are kept on the iPhone and for how long. The iPhone should show you as many of your most recent messages as you tell it in the Mail preferences (25, 50, 75, ..., 200). If you have chosen 25, for example, the most recent 25 messages will be visible. This can cause a message that you want to keep to be bumped off when new email arrives. However, if a message is not too old, you can probably get it by going to the bottom of your list of email messages and asking it to fetch more messages, but this is not a general enough solution because the message you're after could be hundreds of messages away. Moving a message from the Inbox to another folder can help if that folder does not have a lot of traffic (otherwise the message can be bumped off by newer messages that go to that folder).

Other more sophisticated mobile email clients allow you to "lock" a message in a mailbox so that, no matter how old it gets, it is not bumped off the device. Some yet even more advanced clients (namely Chatter on the Treo) allow you to search the server for a particular message. I could pick up my Treo and have it fetch a message that I received 2 years ago that is sitting on the server and do that in seconds... it was EXTREMELY powerful. But I digress...

I hope this helps clarify some of the confusion.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Also, there seems to be some confusion about which messages are kept on the iPhone and for how long. The iPhone should show you as many of your most recent messages as you tell it in the Mail preferences (25, 50, 75, ..., 200). If you have chosen 25, for example, the most recent 25 messages will be visible. This can cause a message that you want to keep to be bumped off when new email arrives. However, if a message is not too old, you can probably get it by going to the bottom of your list of email messages and asking it to fetch more messages, but this is not a general enough solution because the message you're after could be hundreds of messages away. Moving a message from the Inbox to another folder can help if that folder does not have a lot of traffic (otherwise the message can be bumped off by newer messages that go to that folder).
Thanks for that reply. Lots of good info there. The issue isn't about how many messages for example. Its more that (well at least with my email server/pop and my iPhone) when I initially download an email its fine. I can leave it there for days and access it every time I want. When I sit on my home PC (where I pull it off the server and don't leave it on the mail server) and then try to access that same email again on the iPhone (the message is still in my iPhone inbox) most often when there is an attachment in that email I get a "This message has not been downloaded from the server" message. Like the iPhone doesn't actually download those messages to the phone but more like keeps going to the server every time I want to re-access that file. Almost always with a regular text email its fine. But with attachments or things like that I cant re-access it.

All that aside and to hijack my own thread I may be giving my iPhone to my little brother. I really hate to see it go but not being able to copy/paste, MMS, save attachments, tether (without hacking), multiple SMS send, and various other things I need for businesss I don't think I can keep it. I think its the GREATEST device ever honestly. Just about everything it does it does AMAZING, though the phone and speakerphone is one of the worst ive ever used, but everything else is just stunning. I don't think its the right phone/pda/laptop replacement device for me. Don't get me wrong either, im FAR from knocking it, I LOVE it and will really hate to see it go, I just need something more stable as a phone and PDA more then a multimedia device. And who knows maybe after a couple patches and fixes I may come back to it but for now I think I have to pull the trigger and say goodbye.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
There must be a way to "mod" the iPhone to create a new folder in mail. Come on hackers - give me a mod to make to my iPhone directory structure to add an email folder.

dmacias01

Jul 1, 2010
Yes... great trick. I was familiar with this already as I put them in my "Drafts" folder. Putting an email with an attachment there is better than the "Sent" folder only in that the access to it is even much faster. This is because you will never have the same amount of emails in Drafts than you would in your Sent folder. Therefore, the time it takes to read and get to the that email/file, is much, much faster. Just a tip.

Good forum... I just joined.

Regards...

Doug M