attempting to change phone number..HELP!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mom2twins

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Hey guys, I just picked up my iPhone today. Apparently my area is covered by the "partner" plan.
At this moment (until I can activate my phone) I have Nextel service. I want to be able to keep my same phone number but the rep from the porting system said that it isn't possible since there are no towers to switch to.
My problem is, the number I was assigned (I bought a regular AT&T phone for my husband too for a share plan) is long distance from my land line home phone.
The store is closed right now, but I thought maybe someone here would have some insight for me.
Does anyone know if it's possible to keep our same numbers and not have our new phones be long distance calls?
TIA for any advice you are willing to share. I wanted to break out my iPhone and get going on it tonight, but I cannot register it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
the issue is your home number. Let me gues, you live in the sububs of a larger city? Your home phone is a "non metro" number. meaning outside the metropolitan area of the larger city.

You wont be able to get a number for you iPhone to be localized to your subburb. Your best bet is to either get a new metro number for your home phone, or add an unlimited long distance plan to you home service.

mom2twins

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
the issue is your home number. Let me gues, you live in the sububs of a larger city? Your home phone is a "non metro" number. meaning outside the metropolitan area of the larger city.

You wont be able to get a number for you iPhone to be localized to your subburb. Your best bet is to either get a new metro number for your home phone, or add an unlimited long distance plan to you home service.
The issue I am told is the fact that we don't live in an area that is covered by their plan. I don't really understand it myself.
I am "trying" to keep my old Nextel number and use it for my iPhone. Problem being, they are out of network.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Yeah i switched from Sprint/nextel they wouldn't let me keep my number, they are annoying like that. But I got a number from AT&T that was in my area so i really cant help you sorry ... but good luck with it maybe someone at AT&T can help you