attempting to cut down contacts in iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

elaines

Aug 9, 2007
My Mac Address Book has more than 1,000 contacts. When I first got my iPhone, I synced all of these contacts into the phone. Now I want to cut that list in half. So I made a new group on my Mac Address Book. I'd like to sync that list to the phone. But I'm afraid that I'll just wind up adding 500 to the already listed 1,000.

How do I bring the new smaller list to the phone, eliminate the larger list from the phone, but continue to sync contacts that I put on to the phone into my Mac desktop Address book?

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks!

jvanlee1

Jul 17, 2007
Replacing contacts.

Connect your phone to iTunes. Select the "Info" tab, check the contacts group you want synched and scroll to the bottom. In the "Advanced" area "Replace the information on this iPhone", check contacts. Then click the "Apply" button at the lower right. This is a one time selection for the next sync only and will replace the contacts on your phone with the ones you selected from the computer. It essentially turns off the two-way sync you normally get.

elaines

Aug 9, 2007
Thanks, but I used a different method.

Connect your phone to iTunes. Select the "Info" tab, check the contacts group you want synched and scroll to the bottom. In the "Advanced" area "Replace the information on this iPhone", check contacts. Then click the "Apply" button at the lower right. This is a one time selection for the next sync only and will replace the contacts on your phone with the ones you selected from the computer. It essentially turns off the two-way sync you normally get.
Thanks for your help. Instead of your fix, I unchecked the All button on the Summary page and checked only the new, shorter group I had created. That did the trick. At my sync, my phone only picked up the smaller group. In addition, contacts that I added to my phone showed up in the Address Book of my desktop computer. So now all is okay.

I do appreciate your response.