Attempting to Jailbreak an iPod Touch 2G using old tech; need guidance.

Jan 6, 2017
Hello! I have spent the past 6+ hours attempting to jailbreak my iPod Touch 2G, and have run into the expected issues that goes with not being able to use the latest greatest hardware and software. Namely, my iPod hits the screen asking to be attached to iTunes, for the update and whatnot- both restoring to "virgin" and jailbroken. And since I'm using Windows XP there's a whole thing with that, that doesn't allow iTunes to connect to the servers properly (read a few posts elsewhere, did my fair share of Googling the entire time). I've technically succeeded in jailbreaking my device, but I can't proceed due to the aforementioned issue. I can easily access DFU and Pwned DFU. Even drew up custom screens for loading and whatnot, which seemed to work. Any kind of step-by-step walkthrough on how to resolve my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Laptop OS: Windows XP (too old to run 7 as far as I know)
Device model: iPod Touch 2G
Original device OS: iOS 4.2.1 (highest available)
Software already downloaded/used/using: RedSn0w, iTunes

Already have a copy of iOS 4.2.1 for the 2G; iPod2,"1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw"

Thank you!

Jan 6, 2017
Forgot to mention- I plan on attempting the same process (as well as adding a switcher dealio so I can run Android as well) on a iPod Touch... 4G?... in about a month, and advice on that would be appreciated, as well. I have a list I typed out on how to do all that. ^^

Jan 6, 2017
Yes, I have, and this is entirely unhelpful, as I have already technically succeeded in jailbreaking my device using RedSn0w. Please read my post before suggesting a solution. Thank you, however, for your time! ^^

Jan 6, 2017
And now my device refuses to enter DFU mode. Much appreciation.

Jan 6, 2017
No. It merely was coincidence that it happened after I did something you recommended.

Jul 23, 2018
hello,
I never bothered with Jailbreaking my iPod but now I wish to take off some recordings I made using TuneInRadio and the only way to do this is to Jailbreak my iPod.
I have an iPod Touch 2G which isn't an MC model because it starts with A, as engraved on the back. Actually that is wrong. It is an MB model but only because it was part of the 2nd generation releases and therefore doesn't have the same bootROM as the 3rd generations. This piece of information is not obvious when jailbreaking sites go on about MC and non-MC 2G iPod Touches. It is as if they assume everyone knows the difference. I may be technically minded but without reading something first it's much harder to know any difference.
Anyway the iPod I'm using has iOS 4.1 so in theory jailbreaking with Greenpois0n should be easy. However and correctly me with I'm wrong, I believe no other jailbreaking application offers untethered use of the iPod 2G. So I downloaded Greenpois0n for my Mac, which is running Snow Leopard and iTunes 10.1 (54).
The problem I have is that every time I run the programme and follow the instructions I get the wording "failed
" or if running a 2nd time it will quit with an error message. One comment on the YouTube page suggests doing a restore but the problem with doing a restore is that it will put iOS 4.2 on my iPod and then I definitely won't be able to jail break.

Does any one else have any ideas? Has anyone else had the same problem. I know the program works for many other people but I can't get passed the failed message or the program quitting