Audible books in iTunes - move storage location

HDreier

Dec 22, 2008
I listen to Audible books on my iPhone. The books, however, are filling up my hard drive. I have my music stored on an external drive, however I cannot find any way to tell iTunes to store books there as well. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Harry Dreier

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can likely just move the folder containing the Audiobooks to the external hard drive into the same iTunes Music Folder as the rest of your music. After you make the move, click on "Get info" on the Audiobook (it will tell you it cannot be found and you need to locate it) so you just navigate to the folder you just moved the Audiobooks into and select.

cortsims

Mar 30, 2009
Changing audiobooks to music media

After I am done with an audiobook I select audiobooks from the library list on the left hand side of iTunes. I then select the particular audiobook I want to move by right clicking it. This brings up the menu than includes "get info" select that and then select "Options" and then change media kind from audiobook to music. This moves the audiobook to the music library and will not be loaded on the iPhone unless you select it in the music portion of iTunes. Works for me and it is easy to change back if needed as an audiobook again.

HDreier

Dec 22, 2008
Thank you both! I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Do I have to do this for each book individually, or will it pick up the location of all after I do it for one?

You can likely just move the folder containing the Audiobooks to the external hard drive into the same iTunes Music Folder as the rest of your music. After you make the move, click on "Get info" on the Audiobook (it will tell you it cannot be found and you need to locate it) so you just navigate to the folder you just moved the Audiobooks into and select.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think an easier way would be to use the "consolidate library" function under File->Library.

it will copy any iTunes files from elsewhere on your computer, and paste them into your main iTunes Music folder. This will only work if your iTunes Music folder location (Preferences->Advanced) is set to your external hard drive (it sounds like you may have it set that way).

HDreier

Dec 22, 2008
Thank you so much! That was easy and foolproof - even for this fool. :laugh2:

i think an easier way would be to use the "consolidate library" function under File->Library.

it will copy any iTunes files from elsewhere on your computer, and paste them into your main iTunes Music folder. This will only work if your iTunes Music folder location (Preferences->Advanced) is set to your external hard drive (it sounds like you may have it set that way).