AudioAmp

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Anyone else seen this in Installer.app? I just noticed it and installed it. It's suppose to increase the speakerphone volume. I haven't tried it out yet but I sure hope it works. It's designed for 1.1.2.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Anyone else seen this in Installer.app? I just noticed it and installed it. It's suppose to increase the speakerphone volume. I haven't tried it out yet but I sure hope it works. It's designed for 1.1.2.
I just installed it. I'll use it the next time someone calls and return and report here.

Jul 23, 2007
Just conjuncture, but the internal speaker seems louder when I play music...

Nov 28, 2007
Installed it - can't hear any improvement in volume. :(

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Installed and didn't notice any improvement at all. Uninstalled right away!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wish this app cleaned up after itself, and better explained what it did.

I installed it on my 1.1.2 iPhone and it blew away my already customized to my liking SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist and com.apple.celestial.plist. My volume went down.

It did not restore the plist files after I uninstalled AudioAmp (why bother allowing an "Uninstall" that does nothing?).

Don't install this app without backing up those plists first. Can't believe it didn't back them up first on its own...

--
Mike

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007

I installed it on my 1.1.2 iPhone and it blew away my already customized to my liking SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist and com.apple.celestial.plist. My volume went down.

It did not restore the plist files after I uninstalled AudioAmp (why bother allowing an "Uninstall" that does nothing?).

Don't install this app without backing up those plists first. Can't believe it didn't back them up first on its own...

--
Mike
Hmmm - ive never heard of modifying those files but im interested - got any links or more info about doing that?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2007

--
Mike
What do you mean by "blew away"?

Are you saying those two plist's were deleted? I've installed Audio Amp and the 2 plist's you mention are still on my 1.1.2 iPhone. I havn't un-installed Audio Amp yet. Also I can't find audioamp.app (or anything like that) in Applications. Anyone know the location where this gets installed?

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007

Mike
Tinman, Can you share your SystemSoundMaxiumVolume.plist and other file? I never heard such about tweaking it. I would love to try it.:cool:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
What do you mean by "blew away"?

Are you saying those two plist's were deleted? I've installed Audio Amp and the 2 plist's you mention are still on my 1.1.2 iPhone. I havn't un-installed Audio Amp yet. Also I can't find audioamp.app (or anything like that) in Applications. Anyone know the location where this gets installed?
I didn't mean they were deleted, only replaced. And in fact it is just one plist that is changed:
/System/Library/Celestial.framework/SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hmmm - ive never heard of modifying those files but im interested - got any links or more info about doing that?

Thanks.
Tinman, Can you share your SystemSoundMaxiumVolume.plist and other file? I never heard such about tweaking it. I would love to try it.:cool:
After further testing it seems there isn't much difference between the plist I had modified and the one from AudioAmp.

Editing the plists is pretty much a case-by-case situation. If you want, check out this thread:
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9023&highlight=SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

What's weird is that the values AudioAmp uses in SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist seem lower than the original default values.

Sure seems like setting those values is akin to black magic. In the case of AudioAmp it apparently works better with low values. Last I followed the volume discussions it seemed the general consensus was just the opposite: to raise them instead.

Oh yes, my plist wasn't anything special. It's just that I had done the final edits on the iPhone itself (via SSH) and had never gotten around to making a backup.

I'm about to dial in my home theater, so might be buying a sound meter. If so I'll compare my existing plist to the one added by AudioAmp. I'm at the point where I'd rather see the volume on a meter than trust my ears--too easy to make mistakes.

--
Mike

Dec 7, 2007
Problem

When i installed AudiAmp on my 1.1.2 Phone it blew away the complete Sound.

I have no sound anymore.
Since you said tha its modifying the com.apple.celestial.plist , can you send me an workin plist please?

I tried to downgrade and update and virginize, nothing happened at all...

Please help me.

Greetings from Germany

Michael Haller

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
When i installed AudiAmp on my 1.1.2 Phone it blew away the complete Sound.

I have no sound anymore.
Since you said tha its modifying the com.apple.celestial.plist , can you send me an workin plist please?

I tried to downgrade and update and virginize, nothing happened at all...

Please help me.

Greetings from Germany

Michael Haller
It doesn't actually modify that plist. It modifies SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist located in /System/Library/Celestial.framework.

However, I have now found that it makes a backup here:
/var/root/.SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

So you can just rename .SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist to SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist and copy it back and all should be fine. Reset the iPhone when complete to be safe (turn off then back on).

Attached are my original plists, but I wouldn't advise using them unless you have to.

--
Mike

Attachments

Dec 7, 2007
No Sound

Hello,

thankyou for the files.
Unfortunately it is not working. The only sound the phones has is in settings if i choose anohter ringtone.
If i choose a SMS tone, there is no sound again.

Can anyone help me with this?

Can i sent my phone to Apple with an error like this?

THANK YOU

Greetings Michael

Nov 28, 2007
Installer shows an update for Audio Amp to v. 1.0-1. To be cautious, I backed up my plist's before updating, and the result? Absolutely no change.

Then it occurred to me to do a side by side volume test listening to the exact same tunes and also ringtones comparing my modded iPhone to my wife's stock un-modded iPhone.

Result? Both iPhones have exactly the same volume output!

At this point I have to agree with Chris 716: "this app is just pure garbage."