Audiophiles I need your help

Jonn

Nov 26, 2008
I've been scouring the internet for a few hours now and finally gave up and came to this forum. I've searched and haven't found much. I need your help in a home audio solution for the iPhone.

Currently my house has about 6 in ceiling speakers. I need to add about 4 more to get some in the other rooms. I know that most in ceiling speakers cannot compare to normal floor speakers. Ideally I would like to get wireless speakers so I wouldn't have to fishtape wire around. This would mean I need a receiver that can do both wireless and wired speakers. In addition, I'd like to be able to stream pandora off my iPhone. Airport express can only do iTunes?

So my three basic questions are:
1.Any wireless in ceiling speakers recommended (I've found one brand (Pyle).
2. What receiver would you recommend?
3. What is a solution to get Pandora to those speakers?

Thanks,
Jon

Jonn

Nov 26, 2008
Doing a more research it seems that RocketFish RF-WS01 or 02 is the way to go on the speaker question

Jonn

Nov 26, 2008
Oh nevermind.. apparently these are not in ceiling speakers.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
You might want to check out AVSforum for your speaker questions.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
personally, i wouldn't bother with wireless in-wall/in-ceiling speakers because the very few that are available mostly operate on the 2.4GHz band. this also happens to be the same frequency range 802.11b/g wi-fi operates on. of course they run on different specific frequencies depending on the assigned channels, but interference is still possible and quite likely. as such, if streaming Pandora is your planned primary source, this can cause issues.
plus, mounting the speakers with its wireless adapter into the ceiling will also cause signal degredation, especially with a high frequency transmission protocol like 2.4GHz. you'll want to make sure the wi-fi receivers have externally exposed antennas for the best possible signal.
the ideal situation though would be to find speakers that Tx/Rx on the 900MHz range... lower frequency provides better penetration through building materials, reducing any need for an exposed antenna while taking the possiblity of interference with your wi-fi network out of the picture completely. i know Sony and Audio/Technica had bookshelf-type speakers that ran on the 900MHz band, but I don't know of any in-ceiling/in-wall solutions using either band, or wireless technologies at all for that matter. your mention of Pyle is the first i've ever heard although i have never had an interest in that type of product either, thus feeding my ignorance.

but because of these issues, i do highly recommend hard wiring. it may not feel worth the effort now, but i don't think you're going to find a solution that will suit your needs otherwise unless your budget is much higher than i were to assume based on your post.

Jonn

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the responses - I did post on the AVS forum.

I've been digging through my ceiling and have actually found that the other rooms are wired for the audio there are just no speakers. I'm going to get 2 in wall speakers and 2 more in ceiling speakers. There are a total of 9 speaker wires coming out of the wall.

Can I just get a sterio distribution center and hook up the wires to that. How do I know what sized receiver to pump all that sounds through?

My plan is to use a bluetooth class 1 adapter from a computer and get a bluetooth adapter for the receiver. Hopefully pandora will transmit across it.

Jon