Auto app updates

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jdsmitty10, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I just plugged in my phone to the computer to back up and sync etc. and found that I have 24 apps that need updated.. I have auto a update selected in settings. What could cause the apps not to update?

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. I believe the apps update on your iPhone, but of course iTunes can't update them as iTunes isn't open/active 24/7. It wouldn't update them even if iTunes was open unless you went to check for updates and clicked update all. It happens to me as well and I'm sure all of us, yeah? Don't worry about updating them on iTunes daily. If you're going to update your iOS or restore, just make sure you do a backup where it will then ask if you'd like to update those apps on iTunes.

3. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

When I saw this on iTunes I went in settings and turned off auto updates and it shows 24 needing updated on the phone now that I turned that feature off though.....So.. it seems it hasn't updated in a while

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

So you're saying because you had the auto update setting turned on, on your iPhone, it was not updating? I believe the iPhone is like the Macbook Pro in this situation. It doesn't auto check for updates until later at night. For me though, I like to check often. :)

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't use auto update. I do them manually as they come in. They show on the icon badge.

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have had auto update on since it was available. When auto update is on there is no badge app icon on the app store icon. So when I saw that there were a lot that needed updated on iTunes(not knowing they needed updated on iTunes as well) i turned auto update off to check and the badge showed up with 24 needing updated. I doubt 24 updates came out just today?

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Nonono 24 updates shouldn't be all in one day lol...no way..? But the way auto updates works is it will check and update at a certain time each night, but you can still manually check and update apps on App Store on iPhone. That's what I do.

8. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I think I am just going to leave it off and do it manually for now on... I am wondering if it is the cause of my random shut off over night problem...

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Checking for updates manually I still like to do. Are you saying your iPhone randomly shuts itself off at night?

10. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

yes occasionally. the thread on that is near the top of the iPhone 5 page... it has done it when in use too.. have to do a reset to get it back. has happened twice at night while plugged in and fully charged..wont turn back on unless i hold home and lock for 10 or more sec...

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't make me slap you.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure how you would do that "over the air." But nonetheless, I believe your issue (OP) has been resolved to some extent. You have decided you will manually update from now on. :)

13. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

maybe 7.1(which is in the process of installing right now) will fix both issues?

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You just like to hear yourself talk, don't you? :D

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I will leave that question open to others, such as Napoleon. However, I will say that updating and or restoring can fix things a lot of the time. :)

Technically, I am not "hearing myself talk."

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Okay.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, updating might fix both problems. You'll need to restore if updating doesn't fix the crashing problem.

18. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Just a cautionary note - auto update drains your battery faster than manual updating. Disabling it is one of the prime tips for extending your battery life.

19. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

On the other hand, doing a manual update of say 10 apps at a time, ties up your phone when you might want to be doing something else at the same time. Just saying'

20. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'll take the battery drain to keep my apps updated. It's nice to have new features and stability.